Where is that list of denominations and starting dates/founders?

I saw a post on here once that listed many denominations with the dates they were established and the people that founded them. It said something like:

If you are Baptist, your church was started in (date) by (person).
If you are a Presbyterian, your church was started in (date) by (person).
etc., etc.

Does anyone have that list or a link to it? Thanks.

(I saw a poster for sale on EWTN that listed some of them, but I want a more comprehensive list)

(BTW, if you are Catholic, your Church was established 33 AD by Jesus Christ. :D)

That was surprisingly hard to find.

-Prophesy

Thanks for the list Prophesy. I've never seen that before. It's cool. I saw a book bag at the Catholic book store that had

*Catholic, Est. 33 AD Original *

the way you see it on t-shirts for Abercrombie & Fitch or some other company. I think its cool and I am saving up to buy it.

that list is interesting

Awesome! Religions in my family is among that list (catholic, of course, lutheran, methodist, baptists, and mormons)-wow! Now with the dates, it makes perfect sense-one question-the othodox-are they listed with the roman catholic? Thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote="dharmasister, post:3, topic:242151"]
Thanks for the list Prophesy. I've never seen that before. It's cool. I saw a book bag at the Catholic book store that had

*Catholic, Est. 33 AD Original *

the way you see it on t-shirts for Abercrombie & Fitch or some other company. I think its cool and I am saving up to buy it.

[/quote]

If you're talking about this:
http://img.aquinasandmore.com/items/9412sm.jpg

I have it. Haha. It's great, the perfect size for my laptop.

-Prophesy

[quote="Prophesy, post:2, topic:242151"]

-Prophesy

[/quote]

That's it! :thumbsup: Thanks very much for helping me dig. :D

[quote="Prophesy, post:6, topic:242151"]

-Prophesy

[/quote]

Love it! Gotta get one!

I have one more for the list:

If you are Non-denominational, then your denomination was founded by you on whatever date you decided not to choose. ;)

[quote="TommyWommy, post:9, topic:242151"]
I have one more for the list:

If you are Non-denominational, then your denomination was founded by you on whatever date you decided not to choose. ;)

[/quote]

haha i got too tell my sister that but she might punch me lol

Good list of which Christian religion came first. The question is, which one does God want for us?

Here is a quick test to find out:

We believe in God. God is perfect and does not lie.
We believe that Jesus Christ is the Living Son of God. Christ is perfect and does not lie.
We can misunderstand Christ; we can reject parts of what Christ taught and did.
But our limitations do not make Christ wrong and does not justify setting up our own Church.

So what did Christ say and do? Do we understand it enough to accept HIS Church? Paraphrasing:
[LIST]
*]I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one can come to the Father except through Me.
*]Thou art Peter and upon THIS rock, I will build MY Church.
*]Whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in Heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven.
*]Holy Euchraist - This IS My Body. This IS My Blood. Do THIS in rememberance of Me.
[/LIST]{{The power to change bread and wine was given to HIS apostles who have handed it down. This power cannot be assumed by others. In fact many who believe in Christ do not believe that bread and wine can be changed into the Body and Blood of Christ. But that is what Christ did and Christ, being God, does not lie.}}
[LIST]
*]Receive the Holy Spirit, Who's sins you shall forgive are forgiven. Who's sins you shall retain are retained.
[/LIST]{{Christ gave His Apostles the power to forgive sins on His first visit to them after He rose form the Dead.
[LIST]
*]I will send you the Holy Spirit and He will remind you of all I have taught.
[/LIST]Many disagreed with Christ when He was on earth. Some even killed Christ. ( Well at least tried, but Christ rose from the Dead.) Many disagreed with His Apostles then and to this day. Some even killed them. Even to this time.
Some in the Church were confused and looked to Peter to make the call. Even St Paul looked to Peter as the head of the Church Christ established.

Is the Church Christ established perfect? No. It is made of imperfect human beings. BUT and it is a important but, on the matter of Faith and Morals, when the Pope speaks with that special authority Christ gave Peter, the Pope's pronouncements ARE what Christ wants for us.

We may misunderstand; we may not want to accept and comply. We may protest and become a Protestant. But that would be our weakness and our sin. Our imperfections do not make Christ or His Church wrong, and do not justify setting up our own church.

[quote="Prophesy, post:6, topic:242151"]

-Prophesy

[/quote]

oooh! I covet your bag... ooops!! No, I really like it though and I am gonna get one!!

If one believes the BIBLE, then one's religion was founded by God.

When?

Ephesians 1:4
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

[quote="Prophesy, post:2, topic:242151"]

-Prophesy

[/quote]

Where did you find it?

[quote="Ignatius, post:15, topic:242151"]
Where did you find it?

[/quote]

You made me have to go find it again haha.

willingshepherds.net is the site I found it.

-Prophesy

[quote="dharmasister, post:12, topic:242151"]
oooh! I covet your bag... ooops!! No, I really like it though and I am gonna get one!!

[/quote]

I got mine at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

-Prophesy

[quote="Big_Dummy, post:14, topic:242151"]
When?

[/quote]

1) Jesus Christ founded His Church when He walked the Earth in the Flesh, It was built by Jesus Christ himself (Matt 16:18) which means that the "true church" must be about 2000 years old.

2) Jesus only built ONE church (Matt 16:18).

3) Jesus handed His Authority to His Apostles (Mat 28:16-20), therefore His Church must be able to trace it's chief pastors back in a line of succession to The Apostles.

4) The Church which Jesus Christ founded was founded before the New Testament was written and it is the one to whom He revealed and who declared and decreed which books are to be contained in the New Testament. The first Authoritative declaration of The New Testament was by Pope Damasus I in A.D. 382.

[quote="Big_Dummy, post:14, topic:242151"]
When?

Ephesians 1:4
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

[/quote]

I would read Acts 2 in regards to the founding of the Church. It's very enlightening.

[quote="Prophesy, post:16, topic:242151"]

Sorry brother, I can't seem to find it on that site. Can you give a link to the actual list? Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.