Where is the Ark of the Covenant

This posting made me wonder (see here)

I saw some documentary that the Ark of the Covenant could be in some church/chapel in Africa. (I think Ethiopia)…

Does any body know what I’m thinking of?

Also does any body know what Joey is referring too? (see link above)
I’m assuming that it’s a passage from Revelation

2 Machabees 2

1 Now it is found in the descriptions of Jeremias the prophet, that he commanded them that went into captivity, to take the fire, as it hath been signified, and how he gave charge to them that were carried away into captivity. 2 And how he gave them the law that they should not forget the commandments of the Lord, and that they should not err in their minds, seeing the idols of gold, and silver, and the ornaments of them. 3 And with other such like speeches, he exhorted them that they would not remove the law from their heart. 4 It was also contained in the same writing, how the prophet, being warned by God, commanded that the tabernacle and the ark should accompany him, till he came forth to the mountain where Moses went up, and saw the inheritance of God. 5 And when Jeremias came thither he found a hollow cave: and he carried in thither the tabernacle, and the ark, and the altar of incense, and so stopped the door. 6 Then some of them that followed him, came up to mark the place: but they could not And it. 7 And when Jeremias perceived it, he blamed them, saying: The place shall be unknown, till God gather together the congregation of the people, and receive them to mercy.

The Apocalypse Of Saint John 11:19 through 12:5

19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven: and the ark of his testament was seen in his temple, and there were lightnings, and voices, and an earthquake, and great hail. 12:1 And a great sign appeared in heaven: A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars: 2 And being with child, she cried travailing in birth, and was in pain to be delivered. 3 And there was seen another sign in heaven: and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads, and ten horns: and on his head seven diadems: 4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to be delivered; that, when she should be delivered, he might devour her son. 5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with an iron rod: and her son was taken up to God, and to his throne.

As a Catholic, I see The Ark of the Covenant that John envisions as Mary. Mary is the Woman John sees as he describes the Ark. This is also what the Early Church Fathers believed and professed and so it has been handed down to us today as part of the deposit of the Christian faith.

Or is it?

:wink:

I saw this same documentary, Digging for the Truth, the evidence was stunning. From seeing this show and reading about it, it leaves me to believe that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church does have it in her possession.

hola,

i saw this also! the evidence was truly overwhelming, they had armor and religious dress of ancient levites and their traditional story seems to make sense… does anybody know who the EO are in communion with?

Dominus Vobiscum

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is Orthodox and is full communion with the other Orthodox Churches.

I’ve heard of this before and have always wondered that if the Ark is there, why not just show it and alleviate the mystery?

I totally understand that Mary is the “NEW” Ark of the Covenant.

This thread has to do with more with the “OLD” Ark of the Covenant, the one that held the stone tablets.

Joey’s post seems to suggest that it was assumed into heaven.

I was wondering two things

1. Where did the idea that the “old” Ark of the Covenant (the one that held the stone tablets) was "assumed’ into heaven come from?

2. What about church in Ethiopia? Do they truly have it?

[quote=Mommyof02green]I totally understand that Mary is the “NEW” Ark of the Covenant.

This thread has to do with more with the “OLD” Ark of the Covenant, the one that held the stone tablets.

Joey’s post seems to suggest that it was assumed into heaven.

I was wondering two things

1. Where did the idea that the “old” Ark of the Covenant (the one that held the stone tablets) was "assumed’ into heaven come from?
    [/quote]

From the Scriptural pasasge in Rev 11:19.

[quote=Mommyof02green]2) What about church in Ethiopia? Do they truly have it?
[/quote]

Some think so, I do not. I based that upon 2 Mac 2. My friend, who is an Othodox Priest however, believes without a doubt that the Ark is in St. Mary’s in Ethiopia.

I’ve seen that documentary. I’m skeptical. We don’t have a lot of Jewish teaching (scripture or otherwise) as to where the Ark is now. On the other hand, what is the point of pretending you have the Ark. If that’s the case, those guys need to get a hobby.

Items like the ark occurred early in Jewish history. We’re not really big on physical manifestations of the Divine. (Paradoxically, we seem to be big on getting the Temple rebuilt).

Rambam, one of the most followed sages/rabbis in Judaism, believed that King Solomon knew the Temple would be destroyed and arranged to have the ark moved to a cave by the Dead Sea.

There’s an archeologist who claims to have found the exact spot where the Ark was kept in the Temple. He believes it is buried under the Mount. Doesn’t look like we’ll find out anytime soon.

I’ve had conversations with someone who claims to have spoken to at least one former “high priest”. After his conversations (if he is to be believed), he remained highyly skeptical.

I thought Indiana Jones took it from the nazis and locked it up in a warehouse?
No? Hummmm:hmmm:

The Sign and the Seal: The Quest for the Lost Ark of the Covenant by Graham Hancock
I’ve read this book and although I can’t state definitively that the Ethiopians have it, the evidence in the book certainly points to it.

I thought it was the Holy Grail that Indy took from the nazis.
Am I wrong? :confused:

Two different movies, but both equally awesome. The first Indy film is the ark of the lost covenant, the third is the search for the holy grail and the second is so ****** I have made a huge effort to erase it from my memory.

The Holy grail was lost, Elsa got greedy and took it past the seal despite Sir Richard’s warning. yesh, I thought this was all common knowledge :P.

The ark however, still remains, I refer both of you to post #3, that is the exact location of the Ark.

(Dr. Jones is all the aspire to be, keep your fingers crossed for Indiana four, it should be just as good as one and three).

I’m too lazy to look this up…but didn’t one of the OT prophets hide the Ark in a cave just prior to the Babylonian invasion? That’s explanation number 1.

Number 2 is that the Romans took it in 70AD after levelling the Temple. There’s a Roman monument celebrating that victory (still exists) that shows it being carted back to Rome. I think Valke2 told me that once :slight_smile:

Of course, since it is no longer needed, who cares :wink:

I just was confused for a little bit…
However, I am unsure if what Indy found was the “real” one… it just seemed all to “Hollywood” for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Valke, is there some Jewish Tradition to this?

Rambam taught that Solomon knew the temple would be destroyed and had the ark moved to a cave by the Dead Sea. I don’t recall the Roman thing. Maybe that has to do with King David’s throne?

Okay… what about the part about the Romans getting a hold of it in 70 AD?

Oh…sorry :blush: We’ve had a few Ark of the Covenant threads in the past, and I forgot who said what. Now that I think about it, I believe that it was another Catholic poster that mentioned the Roman thing.

The cave story is mentioned in 2 Macabees 2:5, and the prophet was Jeremiah.

Actually, some believe the Ark was taken by Egyptians,
or hidden by Jeremiah,
or destroyed by the Babylonians, etc.

Here’s a link about how the Ark was supposedly in Ethiopia:

crisismagazine.com/julaug2002/feature2.htm

To summarize some parts of the above article,

Ethiopians usually say (from the legend of the Kebra Negast, the Glory of Kings)

that the Queen of Sheba fell in love with King Solomon when her servant returned from him so she went to Jerusalem to see him and remained there for six months.

Solomon also fell in love with her and on the day of her departure, he ordered a royal meal for both of them and both made an oath not to take anything from each other by force.

The King intentionally left his bowl of water next to the queen’s bed, so that when she awoke she would take a drink, thereby “taking” what was rightfully the king’s and breaking the oath.

The Queen realized this, and she said, “I have sinned against myself, and thou art free from [thy] oath.” Then is said that, “He permitted her to drink water, and after she had drunk water he worked his will with her and they slept together.”

Nine Months and Five Days after going back into Ethiopia, the Queen gave birth to a son named Menelik. At the age of 22, Menelik traveled to Jerusalem to meet his father for the first time.
And, at the hands of his father, Menelik became the king of Ethiopia and founder of the Solomonic dynasty.
When the young man departed from Jerusalem, Solomon commanded the nobility of Israel to “give [to Menelik] their children who were called ‘firstborn.’” The clever ruler saw an opportunity to establish a second kingdom.

With this, Menelik and his new subjects departed for Ethiopia. But what Menelik’s companions failed to mention was that they had made off with the Ark of the Covenant from the Temple of Solomon. Indeed, they only told Menelik when they had reached “the water of the Ethiopia.” The news—while surprising—didn’t turn the young man back to Israel; he continued his trip with the relic under his protection. The journey of the Ark recounted in the Kebra Nagast ends in Ethiopia after a brief stop in Egypt.

Hancock also theorized another theory how the Ark came to Ethiopia.
Sometime during King Manasseh’s reign in Jerusalem from 687 to 642 B.C., Jewish priests removed the Ark from Solomon’s temple since Manasseh had converted the Temple of Solomon to pagan worship and installed a pagan idol—a blasphemy for those devout Jews who considered the Ark the touchstone of the Lord on earth. Hancock speculates that the horrified priests removed the Ark from Jerusalem entirely.

He claims the priests took the Ark and settled in Elephantine, a small island just off of Aswan, Egypt. There, the Jews built a temple to house the Ark—the ruins of the temple are visible to this day.
There the Ark remained on the island for some 200 years.
Then it was moved to the Island of Tana Cherkos where the Jews are said to have also built altars of sacrifice for the Ark. It was brought there since at that time, Tana Cherkos is the only island monastery in existence. (There is also stories that Our Lady stayed at Tana Cherkos for three months and ten days.)
It stayed there 800 years before King Ezana finally brought it to Aksum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.