Where is the doctrine of "Sola Amor"?

****Considering all of the “sola” doctrines floating around, and the following scriptures, I wonder why the doctrine of “sola amor” has not surfaced in certain churches. Could it be because no bible is required for it, as none was in Christ’s time? Bear in mind that the bible is now indispensable, although it was not always so.

John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”

John 13:35 “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Romans 12:10 “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.”

Romans 13:8 “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.”

Galatians 5:13 “You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature ; rather, serve one another in love.”

Ephesians 4:2 “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”

Hebrews 10:24 “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.”

1 Corinthians 13:13 "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

If you were to sum up Catholic teaching, sola amor might be the right term for it. Ultimately we either embrace or reject LOVE as the highest good in the universe and the Churchs’ role is to help get us to embrace it. Maybe sola gratia and sola amor are interchangeable?

I think you have it exactly right. “Somehow” many who formed their own faith groups have neglected to emphasize Christ’s new command.

Christ’s peace.

Because Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli lacked the capacity for love of this sort.

I will be so charitable as to accede that they had the capacity, but lacked the will. Would any of them, were they filled with love, have nurtured the desire to separate from the church, then even from each other? To parrot a hackneyed expression, “Where’s the love”?

It has been my experience that whenver someone pracehs “sola amor” they follow it up ny telling you why doing is not sinful behavior.

The murder of countless Protestants at the hands of kings acting on the will of Rome, the excommunication of anyone who dare challenge papal authority or question their doctrines; the attempted assassination of numerous Reform leaders (John Huss, the attempt on Luther) all bespeaks of the sola amor position of the medieval Roman Church.

Amazing.

WOW-you manged to pack a lot of anti-catholic rants into one paragraph. My initial reaction was to try and correct all the errors you posted but then realized that you are someoen who has such a profound ignorance of Catholicism it would be a waste of time.

We know what you hate. What do you love? Your objections are as old and as distorted as the view through stained glass windows.

Yes?-I didn’t do that, though. I object to the way amor has been tossed around and abused, probably more so in the last 40 years than prior to that time, but there’s no denying that love is the greatest commandment and the ultimate goal of our faith. And that the more we’re perfected in love the closer we are to God and the less inclined to sin because, in fact, love and sin are mutually exclusive. In 1 Cor, St Paul says that all other gifts and virtues will pass away but love will remain forever. In any case, we can’t stop focusing on love as being the highest Christian value just because someone might accuse us of misusing the concept.

The murder of countless Catholics at the hands of kings acting on the will of Sola Scriptura, the excommunication of anyone who preached heresy; the attempted assassination of numerous Catholic Leaders all bespeaks of the sola amor position of the medieval Protestant movement.

This can be just as true as your post, and proves just as much.

Peace
James

Funny, isn’t it, that I ask a simple question based on scripture, and we get “evil Rome” murders, oppression, more evil, and “kitchen sink” all thrown in as blanket accusations. I was only wondering why not one of the thousands and thousands of denominations had seized on the scripturally supportable doctrine of “sola amor” as a way of proving that they were the “true remnant” of the Lord’s church.

We now have “sola odium” to throw on the heap with all of the rest.

Christ’s peace, if at all possible…

It’s a statement of historical fact. Nothing anti-Catholic about it. How many Huegenots have you run into lately?

Absolutely… The actions of empires such as England under Elizabeth speak for themselves. My point is that the “sola amor” idea as being the bulwark of medieval Catholicism over and above the Reformers is ludicrous.

What you, and a poster prior to you stated was that the Reformers were loveless because they separated from the Church…I simply pointed out that to the best of my knowledge, there is equal lovelessness in Rome during that period of time. Historical fact tends to bring the Law down on all people equally.

Maybe I misread the OP but I don’t see that as what the OP was saying.

Peace
James

Kinda irelevant now-the Catholic bashers have arrived.

Ah yes, our Protestant spiritual forebears are accused of not being capable of selfless love, and mention the historical facts regarding Rome’s “acts of kindness” during that time and that’s just downright “bashing.”

If we can get past this little tit-for-tat, maybe we can continue the discussion of why Sola-Amor has never been advanced as a doctrine which is what the OP brought up.

Peace
James

I think it’s an important doctrine because it is the most important when it comes to neighbor. In fact, it is the greatest human virtue (as the original poster mentioned in the quote from St. Paul). Other humans cannot see our faith in Christ. They can only see our deeds. Of course…love alone was the sole motivation for God revealing Himself to mankind in the person and work of Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.