Where is the "Golden Rule" in Scripture?

I understand the Golden Rule so famously uttered by secular culture today apparently takes its root from the Bible. But I don’t find those words “Do unto others…”:shrug:

Or is it not really in the Bible but a legend like “Money is the root of all evil” yet, in actuality it is “the Love of money…” :yup:

Thoughts?

MJ

Tobit 4:15 ** **And what you hate, do not do to any one… **
**Matthew 7:12 **
**So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.

And Luke 6:31: Do to others as you would have them do to you.

usccb.org/bible/luke/6

Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

What is the Greek translation? :hmmm:

I tend to split hairs. :o Is there a difference between "do unto and “do”?

MJ

So which translation has it “Do unto others…” ?

MJ

Matthew 7:12 The New American Bible. Catholic Translation.
The Golden Rule . 12 "Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets…

You have it turned around.
The Golden Rule–the “ethic of reciprocity”–was first, before it was added into the Christian canon (I assume you are talking about that bible?).
It’s been around since Confucius…and is also a part of Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism, etc, etc, et al.
“Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself.”
– Confucius (551–479 B.C.) **

Not only “secular” culture “utters” The Golden Rule. Most of the major world religions encourage and promote it.

(who in “secular culture” are you talking about who “utters” it?)

Can you elaborate this Golden Rule. Firstly who termed it Golden Rule?

Then I can attempt to reply the rest.

MJ

Then the objective of your primary question is turning to be not clear!

The message is all over the bible… Leviticus, Tobit, Deuteronomy… as well as pretty much all the New Testament books.

Other sources were Socrates and Plato… and probably others too.

I’ve no idea about dates or where it was written first, or where the term ‘golden rule’ came from.

I don’t know the Greek but in English “do unto others” and “do to others” are exactly the same meaning.

In the New American Bible–The New Catholic Translation, The Golden Rule is in bold print before Matthew 7:12. This is the edition used in Catholic school.

15 Phrases & Sayings Not Found in the Bible (aggiecatholics.com blog July 19, 2014)

15 - The Three Wisemen

They Bible calls them “Magi”, not “Wisemen”, though the two are synonymous in common parlance. The Magi are found only in Matthew 2 and no number is given to them (three comes from the number of gifts given).

14 - “Moderation in all things”

This idea behind this phrase originates from Aristotle’s ethics and the direct quote comes from Rome, several hundred years before Christ. Two different Romans are generally given credit - one named Terence and the other Petronius.

13 - “The Lord (or God) works in mysterious ways”

Comes from a Hymn (“God Moves in a Mysterious Way”) by William Cowper, who lived in the 18th century.

12 - “The eye is a window to the soul”

Matthew 6:22 says “The lamp of the body is the eye”, but there is no reference saying it is a window to the soul. There is no consensus as to the origin of this phrase. Some attribute it to a proverb of varying origin and others to several writers including Shakespeare and Milton.

11 - The Apple in the Garden of Eden.

There was fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2, 3), but we do not know what kind of fruit is was. The apple grew out of Christian tradition and may have been a result of artists trying to depict The Fall. It might also have come from the Latin word for evil (“malum” = evil / “malus” = apple). Some say it was likely a pomegranate. But, we do not know.

10 - “The lion will lay down with the lamb”

A very common misquote of Scripture. Isaiah 11:6 reads “Then the wolf shall be a guest of the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; The calf and the young lion shall browse together, with a little child to guide them.”

9 - “A fool and his money are soon parted”

Not even close to a Biblical reference - this comes from Thomas Tusser who wrote it in 1573 in in Five Hundreth Pointes of Good Husbandrie.

8 - “This too shall pass”

The origin of this phrase isn’t even Christian. It comes from a Persian Sufi (Muslim) poets some time in the middle ages.

7 - The Seven Deadly Sins

The list of the 7 deadly sins = wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony. The first evidence of the list is from a monk in the 4th century. The list was then altered slightly by Pope Gregory I in 590. It was then popularized by Dante in his Divine Comedy.

6 - “Money is the root of all evil”

1 Timothy 6:10 says “For the love of money is the root of all evils”. It is the love of money that causes the problem, not the money itself. Money doesn’t have a moral value all to itself, it is what we do with it that makes the action good, neutral, or evil.

5 - “Pride comes before the fall”

Proverbs 16:18 says “Pride goes before disaster, and a haughty spirit before a fall.”

The origin of the misquote is unknown, but The Beatles’ song “I’m a Loser” has the line in it.

4 - “Charity begins at home”

Generally credited to Terence, the Roman comic writer. It is sometimes also attributed to Sir Thomas Browne who wrote the phrase in 1642.

3 - “To thine ownself be true”

Comes from Hamlet by Shakespeare. In a bit of context the quote reads, ”This above all: to thine ownself be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.” Not bad advice, but not from the Bible.

2 - “Cleanliness is next to godliness”

While there are many references in the Mosaic law to cleanliness (esp. in Leviticus), there is none that we can ascribe to this quote. Some say it comes from a 2nd century Rabbi. We know the first English version comes from Francis Bacon. He wrote the following in Advancement of Learning, “Cleanness of body was ever deemed to proceed from a due reverence to God.” John Wesley then changed it to the phrase we use today.

1 - “God helps those who help themselves”

This very common phrase comes from Algernon Sydney, who wrote it in an article titled Discourses Concerning Government. It was then popularized by Ben Franklin in 1757 in Poor Richard’s Almanac. In many ways this phrase is wrong, because God helps (saves) those who can NOT help themselves (sinners). Though we must agree to allow Him to help us. An earlier form of the phrase may have come from “God loves to help him who strives to help himself” by Aeschylus (6th C BC).

The idea of reciprocity is universal. It was way back in the Old Testament.

If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life,
eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

(Exodus 21:23-25)

What is unique however, is the command to love your enemies, to love those who are trying to kill you.

-Tim-

=MartinJordan;12539704]I understand the Golden Rule so famously uttered by secular culture today apparently takes its root from the Bible. But I don’t find those words “Do unto others…”:shrug:

Or is it not really in the Bible but a legend like “Money is the root of all evil” yet, in actuality it is “the Love of money…” :yup:

Thoughts?

MJ

Mark.12: 31 “The second is this, `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

But not that I could find as the “golden rule”:slight_smile:

That’s a good answer. Can you refer me to any ECF who worded it that way or called the point as the Golden Rule? Whatever the case may be I think the very formation of the term is based on,Christ (of who the world tries hard to reject) and His further and deeper focus on “do good to those who hate you” ?judge not…",“love one another,as I have…” “if someone slaps you…” and so forth.

Infact I’d say the Golden Rule is not even enough compared to the Word who the Way The Truth and the Life. Gold is worldly. Richer than Gold, are Jesus’ Commandments.

MJ .

Amen!

MJ

I don’t get what you actually want to know.

“do to others etc…” is Scriptural. Do you simply want to know why that is called the Golden Rule? Frankly I don’t care what it is called. Why does it bother you so much?

Let’s just say a person holding “the highest office on earth” (secular earth) used it to promote a “certain” agenda. That would mean twisting Jesus’ words to mean what it is NOT to mean.

So, do you actually believe the Golden Rule (used or let’s say hijacked by seculars) a really good thing?

MJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.