Where is the kingdom of God?

The kingdom of God is within our hearts (Luke 17:21). It is the spirit of Jesus which is unconditional, selfless, sacrificial, merciful, humble, ever-forgiving and faithful. This spirit is instilled in every human heart (Ezekiel 36:27) through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. Those who make him the Lord of their life by accepting his spirit (Romans 10:9), are enabled by the spirit to love their enemies, do good to those who hurt and betray them, offer the other cheek if struck on one, give without expecting anything in return, bring healing to their offenders by their prayers and acts of sacrificial love (Matthew 5:43-48), consider others as superior to them, seek the interest of others over their own (Philippians 2:3-4) and stay faithful to their marriage vows even when there is hurt and unfaithfulness (Luke 6:18 & Hosea 3:1).

:thumbsup::amen:

Beautifully said, I needed to hear this today. Thank you.

I’m fascinated by the kingdom, and love talking about it. It was this thread that caused me to join the forum. So here I am, with one foot in the kingdom and one foot on earth.

Regards,

Jo

Some quotes from the Catechism :slight_smile:

543 Everyone is called to enter the kingdom. First announced to the children of Israel, this messianic kingdom is intended to accept men of all nations.To enter it, one must first accept Jesus’ word

544 The kingdom belongs to the poor and lowly, which means those who have accepted it with humble hearts. Jesus is sent to “preach good news to the poor”; he declares them blessed, for “theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” To them - the “little ones” the Father is pleased to reveal what remains hidden from the wise and the learned. Jesus shares the life of the poor, from the cradle to the cross; he experiences hunger, thirst and privation. Jesus identifies himself with the poor of every kind and makes active love toward them the condition for entering his kingdom.

545 Jesus invites sinners to the table of the kingdom: “I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” He invites them to that conversion without which one cannot enter the kingdom, but shows them in word and deed his Father’s boundless mercy for them and the vast “joy in heaven over one sinner who repents”.

551 From the beginning of his public life Jesus chose certain men …] He gives the Twelve a share in his authority and 'sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal (Lk 9:2). " As my Father appointed a kingdom for me, so do I appoint for you that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.(Lk 22:29-30)

553 Jesus entrusted a specific authority to Peter: “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

763 …] The Lord Jesus inaugurated his Church by preaching the Good News, that is, the coming of the Reign of God, promised over the ages in the scriptures." To fulfill the Father’s will, Christ ushered in the Kingdom of heaven on earth. The Church “is the Reign of Christ already present in mystery.”

764 “This Kingdom shines out before men in the word, in the works and in the presence of Christ.” To welcome Jesus’ word is to welcome “the Kingdom itself.” The seed and beginning of the Kingdom are the “little flock” of those whom Jesus came to gather around him, the flock whose shepherd he is. They form Jesus’ true family. …]

765 The Lord Jesus endowed his community with a structure that will remain until the Kingdom is fully achieved.

768 “Henceforward the Church, endowed with the gifts of her founder and faithfully observing his precepts of charity, humility and self-denial, receives the mission of proclaiming and establishing among all peoples the Kingdom of Christ and of God, and she is on earth the seed and the beginning of that kingdom.”

Let us then set aflame our hearts for God’s kingdom by reciting the Our Father (St. Matthew 6:9-13, St. Luke 11:2-4) just as St. Augustine of Hippo says in his Letters (130:11). Your kingdom come!

For me the Kingdom of God is wherever He is welcomed and wanted. He will never force Himself or his Kingdom where it is not wanted or accepted - He will However do everything short of force to be welcomed and accepted.

AWESOME TOPIC thanks who ever started this.

WHERE IS THE KINGDOM OF GOD?

The kingdom of God is at hand. It’s so close to us in the spiritual realm we can just get it whenever we want. Isn’t that what is meant by “is at hand”.? It is that close to us.

Let me first give you some quotes from the bible.

Matt 6 33. “But seek first the Kingdom (of God) and his righteousness.”

Luke 12 32, Do not be afraid any longer, little flock, for the Father is pleased to give you the Kingdom.

So by these passages we see that seeking the Kingdom should be a Priority for all of us and God our Father, wants us to have it.

Luke 16; 16. “The law and the prophets lasted until John; but from then on the Kingdom of God is proclaimed, and everyone who enters does so with violence.”

What is this violence Jesus is talking about? It’s spiritual warfare. So what we should take out of this passage is that we CAN enter the Kingdom and that we will need to engage in spiritual warfare to get there or to make it manifest for us here on earth.

We all know the prayer Jesus told us to pray. “Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

This can apply to when Jesus returns to some extent but it also applies to us NOW. Most of us pray this without considering that we are asking for the Kingdom to be manifested on earth. Jesus told us to pray this. When the Kingdom of God comes, Gods will is done on earth as it is in heaven.

Luke 11, 20 when someone accused Jesus of casting out demons by the power of beelzebul he replies “…But if it is by the finger of God that I drive out demons, then the Kingdom of God has come upon you.”

So Jesus is saying that the Kingdom of God was manifested on the earth. This is what he was talking about before. The driving out of demons and healings IS the Kingdom of God manifested on the earth. Gods will is being done on earth as it is in heaven. There are no sick or demon oppressed in heaven.

Luke 17 20., “Asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he said in reply. 'The coming of the Kingdom of God cannot be observed, and no one will announce look, here it is or there it is. For behold, the kingdom of God is among you.”

Jesus is God incarnate as man. He came as a man. He gave up all his power and authority to live amongst us as a man. He didn’t have special powers, he had God. He gave up his powers to come to us as man. He only had God and the Holy Spirit and look what he did with it. In every way Jesus is the example for us to follow. He’s The most normal Christian there is.

So if you are not living a life with the Holy Spirit, Living a life doing the things Jesus said we would do. Then know this. There’s more…

If we are not casting out demons, raising the dead, curing the sick and cleansing leppers then we have to understand. There’s more… Read Luke 12 32. from the top of this post again.

Do not be afraid. Jesus set it up so that we can all do the works that he did (John 14 12). He gave us his authority. The kingdom of God is at hand.

We just have to believe it and then take it. WITH VIOLENCE.

In Luke 9 we see that they go to proclaim the good news and this

THE GOOD NEWS = THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND

JESUS IS LORD!!!

I don’t know what you mean by taking the kingdom with violence. Care to elaborate? Because I don’t think that’s the case at all. I hear the call to, “come out of her,” meaning Babylon, so entering the kingdom is leaving the powers of the earth behind.

Jesus says no one can come to the father except through me.
The father is in heaven.
also as per the Luke 16 16 quote From the BIBLE which is the ultimate authority. Jesus says everyone who enters the Kingdom does so with violence.

The Kingdom is NOT heaven. It is when heaven is manifested on earth. actually its when Gods will is manifested supernaturally on the earth.

“Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

In I believe it’s 2 Corinthians and Ephesians, St Paul goes to great length to make sure we understand that; The devil is real. The devil has his own kingdom and his goal is to kill steal and destroy life. Our lives.
Also just as importantly St Paul wants us to know that We are indeed at war with the devil and his kingdom. The weapons of our warfare are not carnal (earthly) but mighty in God. He then explains in Ephesians the armour of God and what they are. If you look closely they are all but one defensive weapons to defend us from the devil and his troops.
The one attacking weapon we have is the sword of the spirit. Which is the WORD OF GOD. In other words the words of the bible. Somewhere else it says that the Word of God being the words in the bible, are more sure than the audible voice of God. Wow that’s a big call but true. True because God says so in the bible. It is the Word of God.

When I first studied the Armour of God, I realised, I’m Catholic, I don’t know the Word of God because we were never made to learn quotes. I just knew the stories and the famous one liners and that was about it. That’s what made me begin to read the bible for myself drawing near to God in the process. As it is written, draw near to God and He will draw near to you. If you read the new testament and just believe it. You will be given understanding of it. It’s a living book.

Forget Revelations for a while. That’s for future generations. The gospels and the epistles are for us in todays time and age. They apply directly to you and me. The new testament miracles did not die off with the apostles. True belief did that’s all. Happening now in the world still is what we read about in acts. God is pouring out a portion of his spirit upon all flesh. Its quite an exciting time to be alive.

He probably doesn’t mean it in the generic way :o Probably he refers to the fact that the coming of the kingdom is - as the preaching of Christ Crucified - a scandal and a stumbling stone for the world. But we know that the Kingdom is proclaimed according to the ways of the King: with meekness and humbleness of heart.

I really liked this. I see you think heaven and its kingdom are two different things. So do I. One is the abode of God, and the other is the form of government as it exists among believers.

Our citizenship is in the kingdom, and we are a peculiar people. Yet we are wandering and wayfaring strangers in the world. Most people live according to the rule of secular government, but I think the call to repent was a call to come out of that system.

And, like a mustard seed, the kingdom has grown and flourished over the centuries, and the call to come out of Babylon is louder now than ever.

Ah I see, what I meant here is not that we take over the kingdom by violence. I mean we can’t get to the kingdom without being violent in throwing aside the devils demons in order to get there.

Something like that :slight_smile:

Violence is also a sad consequence of the world’s rejection of Christ. Now the word “violence” derives from the Latin “impetuous, vehement”, though we always associate it to physical aggression. Violence goes beyond physical acts.

Also the world’s ways are ways of comfort, of self-satisfaction. The message of Christ is one that urges us to step out of our comfort zones, to cease focusing on ourselves and start focusing on others…and above all else, to serve rather than being served. This message is disturbing for the world, it is not welcome, and neither are those who bring it.

Remember that when the good Lord peacefully preached the Good News, often times riots would ensue and people would be willing to throw rocks at Him or push Him down a cliff…that’s violence right there, but not on our side…

Christianity is one religion that is clearly and explicitly against all sorts of violence - the Lord told us to be meek and humble of heart, to not respond to injury and offenses, to offer the cheek to those who strike us, to put the sword away, to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Yet Christianity is a vehement motion of love, a burning fire of charity that overwhelms the world. Christ said: “I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled!"

Interesting topic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.