Where is this idea from?

Hi, :slight_smile:
there’s this idea in the Catholic Church - especially in some devotions - that Jesus is all alone in the Tabernacle and wants us to visit Him and longs for everyone to know His love, and is instead hurt by the sins and distrust of humanity. This is the basis of reparation and part of the Sacred Heart devotion, by which we can console Him…

well I’m wondering, where exactly is this idea from? Is it based on private revelations to one of the Saints? (St Margaret Mary, perhaps?) I remember reading about this, but I can’t remember where… I’ve been reading so many things lately, lol. If anyone could give me a source or a quote that would be great :slight_smile:

secondly,what do you think of this idea… it seems kind of childish to some people yet it does bring many closer to God… and of course no one is saying that there isn’t more to God, or to the Eucharist, this is just one idea :slight_smile:

thanks, and God bless!

BTW… The whole argument behind Jesus being lonely when no one visits Him, is that He wants us to share His love but so few trust in it and even fewer give Him the opportunity to show it. If they only visited Him and came to Adoration, for example, they would receive all kinds of graces, but they instead pursue other things, like worldly things… and all the time, Jesus is in the Tabernacle, longing to show His mercy to people, who don’t even care. And there are people who receive Communion but treat Him like a dead object, and this hurts Him. So things like the Sacred Heart devotion, they’re meant for reparation.

It’s actually all very sad when you think about it…

but I admit it’s not an idea that everyone finds believable.

I’m wondering where it’s from though.

I first learned about this idea from reading
**Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus ** en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.. This book comes from the revelations/apparitions of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque plus the commentary of her confessor. This book describes the concept that you refer to in detail, differentiating between visits of love and visits of respect, the best times for visits, and how much we should desire to visit and love the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Some of the concepts: the Sacred Heart of Jesus’ love and desire to continually be with us must be passionate, violent, and excessive if it is not satisfied in Heaven where all desires are satisfied and he still comes into the Eucharist to be with us. He counts it as nothing to be shut up in a host for all ages in order to be with us. What must be his sentiments to be visited so rarely, particularly the greater portion of the day. Visits among men are so ordinary and frequent. It is only this loving Jesus who is not visited. The link that I’ve posted has the WHOLE deal. I am only posting the very smallest bit :eek: Also, I’ve read about this idea in Marian apparitions, particularly the Japan apparition with the Handmaids of the Eucharist prayer

Something I find very interesting about the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Divine Mercy devotions are that they are the devotions that I in my limited ignorance know about that give the deepest and most passionate insight on the Sacred Heart of Jesus, but both of the women who received these devotions were extremely devoted to Mary prior. St. Margaret Mary Alacoque. St. Mary Faustina.

Excerpt from Vie par elle-meme by St. Margaret Mary Aloque, to whom was revealed the Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, "The blessed virgin has always taken great care of me. I had recourse to her in all my necessities and she has preserved me from great dangers. I did not dare address myself to her divine son, but only to her and I often presented her with the little crown of the rosary, which I said on my bare knees, or genuflecting and kissing the ground at every Ave Maria. episcopalacademy.org/drum/trea/TREA5-06/Wrighttrea06a.pdf

St. Faustina’s Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul Notebook #1, #32 Another time I heard these words, Go to the Superior and ask her to allow you to make a daily hour of adoration for nine days. During this adoration try to unite yourself in prayer with My Mother. Pray with all your heart in union with Mary, and try also during this time to make the Way of the Cross. I received the permission, though not for a full hour, but only for whatever time was left me after I had carried out my duties. saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

Basically, the exact same idea as St. Louis Mary de Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary, where he teaches that Mary is a safe, sure, perfect way to Jesus and we should do all with, through, and for Jesus through Mary though both of them probably never read the book!!
Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

I have no idea.Some of the ideas from the previous posters are interesting. But,They don’t seem to really answer the question.At least not to my satisfaction. I can only speculate.However, I’m thinking it has something to do with the Priest being the only one who can enter into the Holy of Holies.:shrug:
I’m going to pay attention to this thread.It’s an interesting question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.