Where is this in the old testament?

I have been searching for a biblical reference to the antichrist that when he comes to power he will outlaw marriage
in the end times. The only one I can find that comes close to it is Daniel7:25. I say this
because I see that there is now 12 states that have declared gay marriage as legal and
there was a recent article in our local paper about a woman wanting to redefine marriage to a new definition of marriage. I believe the devil is eroding all of our 7 sacraments. Catholics have great reverence for the sacraments instituted by Jesus Christ for the church. but now in these “days of Noah” I see where the devil has succeeded in getting
rid of all the sacraments. Even Baptism is in peril because of the number of abortions
Without the sacrament of Baptism , the person will not become a member of Christ’s church and belong to the devil (he is not a child of God) we become children of God
through baptism and receive sacramental grace of our sins and original sin is wiped out.
Unless a man be born again of water and the holy Spirit, ;he cannot enter into the kingdom of God John3:5 baptism

Not sure of an Old Testament reference but in the New Testament, in 1 Timothy 4:3, there is mention of marriage being forbidden in latter times.

1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 through the pretensions of liars whose consciences are seared, 3 who forbid marriage and enjoin abstinence from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. (1 Timothy 4:1-3)

One should note that at the time of Paul’s epistles, some Gnostics forbade marriage…and he was likely talking about them… and “latter times” could be referring to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70.

Daniel 7:25 is about Rome.

There are four beasts in the Book of Daniel. These represent the four successive world powers - Babylon, Persia, Greece and Rome. Daniel even tells us this.

These four great beasts are four kings who shall arise out of the earth. (Daniel 7:17)

The fourth beast is Rome.

"Thus he said: `As for the fourth beast,
there shall be a fourth kingdom on earth,
which shall be different from all the kingdoms,
and it shall devour the whole earth,
and trample it down, and break it to pieces.

(Daniel 7:23)

This is Rome. Daniel 7:25 says that this kingdom will “speak words against the Most High”. The emperor declared himself to be God and “Father of the whole world” shortly before Jesus was born.

All of this is the basis for the Book of Revelation. The Book of Revelation is about emperor worship in Asia Minor and the persecutions of the Christians who refused to worship the emperors.

This isn’t something I made up. It is a very common interpretation and a very Catholic interpretation. You can read about it at wikipedia. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_kingdoms_of_Daniel

-Tim-

i think you’re way off base here. the church has not assigned aborted babies to hell. in God’s mercy, there is room for salvation before baptism. don’t try to interpret the bible for yourself, that’s protestantism. follow church teaching, read the catechism, and talk to your pastor if you don’t understand something. or ask an apologist.:wink:

Really?

How does one read a book without interpreting it?

Your reaction is well founded and I share it.

It’s a common misconception - a vestige of Catholic protectionism in reaction to the Protestant reformation - that individuals can’t read and interpret Scripture. We absolutely can but should always compare our thought with the church fathers, doctors of the church, encyclicals, etc. when we come up with something at odds with church teaching we are to assume that we are wrong and not the church.

The fact is that one can’t read the phone book without interpreting the information. The very act of reading implies interpretation. Ive read the Bible cover to cover five time and it has been a great joy, but the church has the final say on what it all means.

-Tim-

:thumbsup:
That is exactly how I understand the situation, but as a convert I have never stopped being amazed at what I have misunderstood about Catholicism.

Ive often wondered if this is all true and the book of revelations was truly referring to those days, Nero was the antichrist, etc. then what time frame are we living in today? Obviously we know the second coming has not yet happened.

Much of what is revealed in the Book of Revelations are repeating patterns of behavior for kingdoms and how societies will treat Christians.

It isn’t all necessarily end times prophesy, but simply prophesy of the future for the church.

=RGCheek;12641806]Really?

How does one read a book without interpreting it?

Dear friend; “RIGHT Understanding” is a GIFT from God, and only with this Guided Wisdom is it possible to attain. However, KNOWING what our Church teaches is a great aid.

**Parts of Mt. 10:1-8 **“And having called his twelve disciples together, he gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of diseases, and all manner of infirmities. And the names of the twelve apostles are these: The first, Simon who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother… **These twelve Jesus sent: commanding them, saying: **

2nd. Peter 3: 14-17 “Therefore, beloved, since you wait for these, be zealous to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. And count the forbearance of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, beware lest you be carried away with the error of lawless men and lose your own stability

2nd. Peter 1: 16-21 “You will do well to pay attention to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. First of all you must understand this,*** that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”***:thumbsup:

God Bless you,

Patrick

So you are using the word ‘interpretation’ in a different way when you use it in conjunction with prophesy. When Jesus gave parables or prophesies, the disciples would ask Him what they meant, i.e. what was the meaning He intended in telling them and Jesus almost ALWAYS explained them to His disciples. In this way He gave the interpretation of his prophesy. Daniel had the same experience with ‘Mene, Mene, Tekel, and Parsin’ and God had to reveal to him the deliberately obscured meaning as the intended interpretation of the prophetic event. The Messianic prophesies are often symbolic events that seem to only have meaning after they are fulfilled and Jesus alludes to such here.

So that sort of interpretation is not required with every day scripture like the letters of St Paul. They are written to be understood, as many of the Messianic prophesies are also intended to be understood plainly.

The Book of Revelations is again different from both previous examples in that the meaning or interpretation has been withheld, some of it is withheld even from Jesus Christ Himself.

Has the church been given an authoritative interpretation of the book of Revelations? I don’t think it has been, but enlighten me if I am wrong, please.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.