Where My Priest Friend Says I Should Go

I talked to my friend Father Pascal recently for about an hour, and he said the place he thinks I’m called to is the F.S.S.P. I’m going to call them tomorrow and get some basic information (Age limit, academic requirements, etc). I’m quite excited about it, since before I was so dense that I thought they were schismatic. :smiley:

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:1, topic:268746"]
I talked to my friend Father Pascal recently for about an hour, and he said the place he thinks I'm called to is the F.S.S.P. I'm going to call them tomorrow and get some basic information (Age limit, academic requirements, etc). I'm quite excited about it, since before I was so dense that I thought they were schismatic. :D

[/quote]

-_- The FSSP is not schismatic.

Anyways, we might be brother priests one day. I'm thinking about them too. How fantastic.

Also look at the ICKSP. The ICKSP has an obsession with Baroque-era Catholicism and they have some neato choir dress, if that's your style.

I hope to read about both of you when you graduate from Our Lady of Guadlupe Seminary. The FSSP has enough priests now to finally send a second priest to my parish out here in Seattle.

Good for both of you! I'll be praying for you along your journey.

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:1, topic:268746"]
I talked to my friend Father Pascal recently for about an hour, and he said the place he thinks I'm called to is the F.S.S.P. I'm going to call them tomorrow and get some basic information (Age limit, academic requirements, etc). I'm quite excited about it, since before I was so dense that I thought they were schismatic. :D

[/quote]

Good luck with your discernment!

I would definitely look at the F.S.S.P. and the I.C.K.S.P.

Many have said that the priests of the Fraternity are like Catholic priests from the 1920s, whilst the priests from the Institute are like priests from the 17th century.

You're in our prayers!

Oh I forgot to add:

As far as I understand the seminarians of the Institute learn Latin and another language besides their own. For us English speakers that is French. They say on their website that it is good to know a bit of French before joining the seminary, but I think they also have a pre-seminary French course for those who don’t know any.

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:3, topic:268746"]
I hope to read about both of you when you graduate from Our Lady of Guadlupe Seminary. The FSSP has enough priests now to finally send a second priest to my parish out here in Seattle.

Good for both of you! I'll be praying for you along your journey.

[/quote]

Yes, it seems OLGS is practically overflowing!

[quote="Tridentinum, post:4, topic:268746"]
Good luck with your discernment!

I would definitely look at the F.S.S.P. and the I.C.K.S.P.

Many have said that the priests of the Fraternity are like Catholic priests from the 1920s, whilst the priests from the Institute are like priests from the 17th century.

You're in our prayers!

[/quote]

I've thought about it that way, too. It seems that the FSSP seems to capture the "golden age" of Catholicism in America, and the ICKSP seems to capture a bit of the Renaissance man in each of their priests. It's hard for me to decide between the two. On the one hand, it seems the FSSP is a bit... shall we say, "quieter," in their approach, while the ICKSP is very loud. ICKSP loves Baroque architecture and music, and they preserve those things very well in their churches. It seems the ICKSP is a good bit more idealistic than the FSSP, but that's not bad at all. When it comes down to EF communities, it really comes down to basically style, I think.

[quote="Tridentinum, post:5, topic:268746"]
Oh I forgot to add:

As far as I understand the seminarians of the Institute learn Latin and another language besides their own. For us English speakers that is French. They say on their website that it is good to know a bit of French before joining the seminary, but I think they also have a pre-seminary French course for those who don't know any.

[/quote]

Yes, all English speakers have to learn French. I find that kind of ironic considering that their seminary is in Italy, of all places. All potential seminarians go through either a one or two year pre-seminary program at one of the ICKSP churches in his country, presumably where he acquires a working command of French.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:2, topic:268746"]
-_- The FSSP is not schismatic.

Anyways, we might be brother priests one day. I'm thinking about them too. How fantastic.

Also look at the ICKSP. The ICKSP has an obsession with Baroque-era Catholicism and they have some neato choir dress, if that's your style.

[/quote]

I know they're not. I said before I thought they were.

That's awesome, though. It would be awesome to meet someone from CAF in real life, especially in such a way. I'll be going to Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary, which is where I assume you will go. I'll probably spend my entire time greeting people and going "Are you on CAF?" :p

Eh, I don't know. I've never heard of them, but my friend really recommends that I go to the FSSP. I'll check them out, of course, but I don't know if they are quite as awesome. :D

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:6, topic:268746"]
Yes, it seems OLGS is practically overflowing!

I've thought about it that way, too. It seems that the FSSP seems to capture the "golden age" of Catholicism in America, and the ICKSP seems to capture a bit of the Renaissance man in each of their priests. It's hard for me to decide between the two. On the one hand, it seems the FSSP is a bit... shall we say, "quieter," in their approach, while the ICKSP is very loud. ICKSP loves Baroque architecture and music, and they preserve those things very well in their churches. It seems the ICKSP is a good bit more idealistic than the FSSP, but that's not bad at all. When it comes down to EF communities, it really comes down to basically style, I think.

Yes, all English speakers have to learn French. I find that kind of ironic considering that their seminary is in Italy, of all places. All potential seminarians go through either a one or two year pre-seminary program at one of the ICKSP churches in his country, presumably where he acquires a working command of French.

[/quote]

I assume "the Institute" is the ICKSP?

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:7, topic:268746"]
I know they're not. I said before I thought they were.

That's awesome, though. It would be awesome to meet someone from CAF in real life, especially in such a way. I'll be going to Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary, which is where I assume you will go. I'll probably spend my entire time greeting people and going "Are you on CAF?" :p

Eh, I don't know. I've never heard of them, but my friend really recommends that I go to the FSSP. I'll check them out, of course, but I don't know if they are quite as awesome. :D

[/quote]

They're very different cultures. It seems that the ICKSP will be slower to be built up, as they pride themselves on doing their absolute best in refurbishing old churches and making them 100% suitable. ICKSP churches truly are jewels, and their priests are almost asinine with how perfect they follow rubrics in mass. It seems the FSSP is a bit more lax in the way they approach new parish building, as they like to expand a bit faster, but their liturgies are gorgeous all the same.

The ICKSP has a group of men called the Oblates who assist the priests. They are kind of like permanent altar boys+office managers+deacons+subdeacons all in one. The FSSP doesn't have that, which isn't necessarily bad, but I think the ICKSP makes a statement somewhat to the effect of, "We are here and we are permanent," with the way they sort of plant themselves in a church.

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:8, topic:268746"]
I assume "the Institute" is the ICKSP?

[/quote]

Yes. The ICKSP is smaller than the FSSP but there is only one ICKSP seminary, in Italy, while there are two FSSP seminaries.

Oh, the conundrum.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:9, topic:268746"]

Yes. The ICKSP is smaller than the FSSP but there is only one ICKSP seminary, in Italy, while there are two FSSP seminaries.

Oh, the conundrum.

[/quote]

In effect for us English speakers there is only one F.S.S.P. seminary because the European seminary is for non-English speakers.

I support the FSSP one hundred percent. They are amazing priests.:thumbsup:

Do you have a love for the EF?

Most definitely. I’ve gone to at least one in my life before. Although the OF is valid, I don’t think there’s even a comparison in terms of spirituality and the way it makes you feel. The Gregorian chant itself puts you in awe, not to mention how the Latin prayers just seem right. I can’t explain it any other way than they just seem to be said the way they were supposed to be said. I suppose maybe that’s because Latin is the official language of the Church? :smiley:

Okay just checking. That is an important consideration.

[quote="TrueLight, post:13, topic:268746"]
Okay just checking. That is an important consideration.

[/quote]

Indeed. I most definitely prefer the EF, as it is most definitely Extraordinary. Saying prayers in Latin is so much different than saying them in English. I'd love to learn the Rosary in Latin again. My sister taught me how to say the first half when I was very young, and she started me on the second half (Which was harder for me for some reason) but we stopped for some reason and I haven't said it in Latin for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been nine or ten years.

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:14, topic:268746"]
Indeed. I most definitely prefer the EF, as it is most definitely Extraordinary. Saying prayers in Latin is so much different than saying them in English. I'd love to learn the Rosary in Latin again. My sister taught me how to say the first half when I was very young, and she started me on the second half (Which was harder for me for some reason) but we stopped for some reason and I haven't said it in Latin for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been nine or ten years.

[/quote]

Download Virtual Rosary

Here you go. Once it's downloaded and installed go to settings and change the language to Latin. Play some Gregorian Chant in the background.

[quote="Tridentinum, post:15, topic:268746"]
Here you go. Once it's downloaded and installed go to settings and change the language to Latin. Play some Gregorian Chant in the background.

[/quote]

Thanks! I won't be able to upload it any time soon, but I can always go back to this thread and find the link. I'd love to learn the Rosary in Latin completely. That way, when I enter Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary, I won't be completely out of the loop, my only Latin phrases being "Dominus Vobiscum", "Et cum Spiritu Tuo", "Ordo Fratrum Minorum", and "Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri", but that one's too obvious. :p

Praying the Rosary in Latin :slight_smile:
youtube.com/watch?v=zSmc_qeMUZE
youtube.com/watch?v=0-p4HB2qU0Q
however in parishes (and I assume with priests as well), it’s said faster than the first video :wink:

Consider your diocese! Im sure your diocese needs you!!!

[quote="CatholicGuy22, post:18, topic:268746"]
Consider your diocese! Im sure your diocese needs you!!!

[/quote]

I've considered my Diocese, but I'd prefer to be a F.S.S.P. Priest.

I just met a seminarian at Our Lady of Guadalupe. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.