Where New York's not proud to lead

newyorkpost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/where_new_york_not_proud_to_lead_236nyjSL3ZbkCV5woJqUFJ

Forty years ago today, New York became the first state in the US where abortion was broadly legal. Since then, New York City has become the nation’s undisputed abortion capital, with an overwhelmingly pro-choice political establishment – and an abortion rate that’s three times the national average.

And a stifling taboo on the subject that chokes off any mature discussion about what such a rate means for the public welfare.

According to the city Health Department, 2008 saw 89,469 abortions performed in New York City – seven for every 10 live births. Among black women, abortions out number live births by three to two.

Read more: newyorkpost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/where_new_york_not_proud_to_lead_236nyjSL3ZbkCV5woJqUFJ#ixzz0sRO3nyVq

We really need to pray for NY…:frowning:

I am a New Yorker and involved in the pro life movement, and I can attest to the truth of these grisly facts. I pray and counsel at an abortion clinic once a week here in Brooklyn. It's actually 2 abortions clinics in one building, which ironically is right around the corner from the offices of the Brooklyn diocese. There is also another abortion clinic only a couple blocks away, and another one about 5 or 6 blocks away. The majority of women I see going in there are either African American or Latina. We have a St. Joseph sister who is also there once a week, Sr. Dororthy, whe has trained many hundreds of people to counsel. The other days of the week she is at a clinic in Queens, where they perform up to 100 abortions each day, again mostly for minority women.

Msgr. Philip Reilly, who started the Helpers of God's Precious Infants here in Brooklyn many years ago, prays every day at a large abortion clinic here in Brooklyn, despite the fact that he has had a major battle with face cancer. We have many others who are out day after day in all kinds of weather trying to stop the killing.

Fr. Groeschel's priests are out many days a week in front of a major abortion clinic in the Bronx.

We have several Cenacles of Life throughout the metro area, including one here in Brooklyn that I pray at every week.

We are working hard to stop it, but it's not easy. We can use everyone's prayers. We are in a major spiritual war. Msgr. Reilly said that on 9/11 he was praying in front of an abortion clinic when the planes hit. Everything else in NYC stopped that day, but the abortions continued. He was there the entire day, with paper debris from the buildings raining down on him.

Thank you, Brooklyn, for what you do!

I too live in NY and yes we need all the prayersw we can get!:(

I want me and my family to move to New York and this is what I read. Abortion should be completely outlawed unless the mother's health is at risk, but then you are not acting to kill, your acting to save a life. Is their any developed country in the world where abortion is not on demand?

I read a while ago that most Black parents in America want their children to have abstinence education, and yet most for Obama who is very pro-abortion, I think anti-abstinence education. It's all a mix, its all a mess. Leaders in the black community need to be educating the people on abortion to stop the high rates, watch Maafa 21. Abortion is racially motivated.

I'm a sixteen year-old New Yorker with a lot of State pride, but this cannot under any circumstances be defended. My fellow citizens, students won't even admit that the fetus is human. Even if we can't know when he gets his soul, isn't it always safe to be prudent? This is a sickening statistic and even worse that the corruption that ravages Albany. GOD have pity on us. Perhaps, it's because I live in NY that I have such a grim view of the states. My great-grandparents immigrated here for a better life - and they had one, but what about by generation? We need help.

I don’t think so. I see ads in the subways and elsewhere for abortion services, and the advertisements don’t feature black women. Circumstances may bring about a higher percentage of abortions among blacks, but it isn’t because they are being specifically targeted for those services.

Don't forget to pray for the Sisters of life and the work they do in this area to help women keep their babies and learn how to take care of them.

And yes this whole state needs many prayers.

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:1, topic:203939"]
newyorkpost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/where_new_york_not_proud_to_lead_236nyjSL3ZbkCV5woJqUFJ

Read more: newyorkpost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/where_new_york_not_proud_to_lead_236nyjSL3ZbkCV5woJqUFJ#ixzz0sRO3nyVq

We really need to pray for NY..:(

[/quote]

While we're at it; we should also include in our prayers that people practice abstinence; that alone would help to curb abortions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.