Where o where has Cardinal sin gone?

Where o where has Cardinal sin gone? O where o where can it be? With years cut short but the tales cut long, where o where can it be? :whistle:

Does anyone know where the Church misplaced the teaching on Cardinal sins? I know its around here somewhere…

Glenda

I would encourage you to be direct with your question, if you actually have one, and not sacrastic and disrespectful towards the Church.

If by Cardinal sins you mean the capital sins, you may find those in paragraph 1866 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and each of them defined in detail in the glossary of the Catechism.

So what is your actual question?

I’m afraid that he died in 2005. You can read his obituary here.

:smiley:

Where did you find this? Very clever:D

Yeah, that’s what I thought they were on about…the deceased Cardinal. He was promoting the cause of a friend’s brother’s canonization. We were really sad when he passed.

We left them all the way back in 1866.:slight_smile: let him who has eyes see and him who has ears hear.:yup:

Catechism of the Catholic Church:
1866 Vices can be classified according to the virtues they oppose, or also be linked to the capital sins which Christian experience has distinguished, following St. John Cassian and St. Gregory the Great. They are called “capital” because they engender other sins, other vices.138 They are pride, avarice, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, and sloth or acedia.

Actually the reason I asked this here was because the phrase came up in a conversation yesterday and I couldn’t recall the why of why we don’t teach about Cardinal sins anymore. That was the question to me and I told the person I forgot the answer? I looked in some of my books but couldn’t find it and I was on the computer here, so I thought I’d ask.

So 1Ke, I really wasn’t trying to be rude or anything. I’m Philly gal and sometimes am very blunt and forward. Sorry if my style seems offensive to you. I don’t mean to be.

I know about Cardinal Sin. I read one of his books and used another he wrote at Adoration. He was well loved by his flock.

Glenda

The answer was at the bottom of my other post; just highlight it.:slight_smile:

Why is it that you assume the capital sins are no longer taught? That is not correct, as we have already pointed out.

Hello 1 KE

I’m NOT talking about the Capital sins - Pride, Greed, Lust, Envy, etc. I know what they are. They aren’t the Cardinal Sins. That’s what I’d like to talk about here - the Cardinal Sins and where they went.

Thanks for your answer though.

Glenda

The capital vices, Cardinal sins, seven deadly sins etc. all refer to the same seven sins.
Do you mean the sins that cry out to heaven for vengeance?
Perhaps something else here:
fisheaters.com/lists.html

Try this link, to Parts Three and Two

slideshare.net/Miserissima/an-examination-of-conscience-11

It’s an examen that also includes the Seven Precepts of the Church

Capital sins are the cardinal vices. Let’s peek at the Catholic Encyclopedia, " The seven capital sins, so called, may be considered as the source from which other sins proceed." newadvent.org/cathen/14004b.htm

I don’t think we are on the same page regarding terminology. Can you give an example of what the Capital vs Cardinal sins are? I learned they are the same thing.

Here’s a bit more from the Summa:
newadvent.org/summa/2084.htm

Okay. I may have been misinformed. I was told a while ago the a “Cardinal sin” was a sin you had to see a Cardinal about. It couldn’t be forgiven in the Confessional by an ordinary priest. It had to be a Cardinal, a Bishop or the Pope. For instance, the sin of abortion used to be reserved to a Bishop or higher and couldn’t be relieved by your local parish priest. That is how it was explained to me. That was years ago in the 70’s in fact.

I’ve tried to find this “cardinal sin” explanation spelled somewhere and cannot. I’ve even found references to the Capital sins actually being the Cardinal sins, in which case 1 KE you were correct. But I also know that there are sins that are Reserved to the Holy See or a particular Bishop or Office, etc. These are called Reserved. This is as much as I’ve been able to find written as well. My only conclusion so far is that the term “cardinal sins,” was actually a sort of “nic name” for them at one time and has lost its usage.

Oh well. That’s the rubber hittin’ the road. Please forgive if I’ve ruffled feathers.

Glenda

It is not the sin itself that is reserved, but the lifting of the penalty associated with it.

Abortion incurs excommunication, for example. A priest does not have authority to lift excommunication unless given this faculty by his bishop.

Penalties and remedies are enumerated in canon law.

These are called reserved cases or reserved sins or censures. Not “cardinal sins” and nothing to do with the College of Cardinals.

catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=1669

Canons 1364-1399 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law discussed the offenses that merit latae sententiae excommunication reserved to the Apostolic See. Those whose offenses merit such a penalty include “one who throws away the consecrated species or, for a sacrilegious purpose, takes them away or keeps them”; “a person who uses physical force against the Roman Pontiff”; “both the bishop who, without a pontifical mandate, consecrates a person a bishop, and the one who receives the consecration from him”; “a confessor who directly violates the sacramental seal”; and a confessor who absolves “an accomplice in a sin against the sixth commandment of the Decalogue.”

In addition, canon law provides that “a person who procures a completed abortion incurs a latae sententiae excommunication,” as does “an apostate from the faith, a heretic or a schismatic,” but the lifting of these penalties, according to Canon 1356, is reserved to the Ordinary.

Catholic Encyclopedia: Reserved Cases
newadvent.org/cathen/12785a.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.