‘Where’s the chicken?’: Woman sues KFC for $20M over false advertising

NY Post:

‘Where’s the chicken?’: Woman sues KFC for $20M over false advertising

A Hudson Valley woman is finger lickin’ mad at Kentucky Fried Chicken, claiming its understuffed buckets are for the birds.
Anna Wurtzburger, of Hopewell Junction, says she bought a $20 bucket of chicken from KFC over the summer and was disappointed to find it looked much different than what’s in the chain’s ads.
“I came home and said, ‘Where’s the chicken?’ I thought I was going to have a couple of meals,” she told The Post.
“They say it feeds the whole family … They’re showing a bucket that’s overflowing with chicken,” the 64-year-old widow griped. “You get half a bucket! That’s false advertising, and it doesn’t feed the whole family. They’re small pieces!”

Wurtzburger rang up the fast-food giant’s Georgia headquarters to complain, and was told the chicken was portrayed prominently on the commercial “so that the public could see the chicken.”
“If you want the public to look at your chicken, put it in a dish,” she fumed. “It’s a lot of BS. … I expect to get what you’re telling me.”
Putting her money where her hungry mouth is, Wurtzburger hired a lawyer and filed a lawsuit, demanding KFC change its advertising.
She also returned two gift certificates the company sent her as a mea culpa.

“You know what commercial they should put on? You remember the movie, ‘Oliver’?” she said. “It was about the little boy growing up in the orphanages and he was hungry and he goes to the man, ‘Can I have some more?’ ”
Retired from the Fishkill Correction Facility, Wurtzburger lives off her Social Security check and said the KFC meal was supposed to be a rare treat.
The grandmother seeks $20 million in damages. KFC called the lawsuit “meritless.”

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Lawsuits, America’s national pastime.
I envy the lady if this is the first time she has bought a product that failed to live up to its advertising.

False advertising is a problem today, but I doubt she will get $20M out of this, but usually lawyers start with a really high figure, assuming the company will settle with the amount the client truly hopes to get, in this case, maybe $20K and free KFC for the rest of her life if shes lucky.

$20000000 in damages? She didn’t need medical care. I can totally understand requesting a free replacement bucket of chicken but this is way over the top. :eek:

Twenty MILLION?!?!?

It’s called puffery on part of KFC and the fact that this woman is even attempting to sue because of it is laughable.

She’s right about how small the chicken is. The legs look like a upper wing. And thigh is cut in mid bone. Its a creative way to cut the chicken that I suppose is to give less meat for the buck. I felt like I was ripped off when I went there. But I just don’t go back.:shrug:

Retired from the Fishkill Correction Facility, Wurtzburger lives off her Social Security check…

Retired or released?

upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/03/06/SPCA-New-York-woman-had-200-cats/29491331075364/
“SPCA: New York woman had 200 cats”

Would she sue KFC if she ate it and gained weight?

Does make won wonder, LOL…

I’d assume that this is a question of a product being sold by weight or number of pieces, not by volume. Agreed that a picture of an overflowing bucket is deceptive,but I’ll bet that what she bought had the number of pieces in it that were advertised.

Very laughable indeed. You never know though with juries these days; she may get something.

The $20 fill up is 8 pieces of chicken (clearly marked on the menu), side dishes, and biscuits. Maybe she should have read the description before she ordered. :shrug:

At first read, I thought that line said, "KFC called the lawsuit “meatless”. :whistle:

Those are the new White House ‘sensibly-sized’ portions. As a class action, it might go somewhere. As a stand-alone suit, it is laughable, as she has already been compensated.

To quote biochemist and prolific author Isaac Asimov…

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

I love that Asimov quote! It sums up something I’ve observed particularly in American politics. I find it paradoxical that the US has also cultivated a culture of excellence in many fields, include science, engineering and the arts.

Who else remembers the classic “Where’s the beef” wendy’s ads? But I believe there is no way this woman will win this case.

Once she’s tossed, she’ll sue the lawyer who told her she had a case!

I want 1 mil for wasting my time reading about this. That is my rate in retirement.

I’m guessing the $20M came from the $20. If the cost of the chicken were $10, she would have asked for $10M. Just a guess in her thinking.

I don’t see why not sue. But for millions? :eek:

I’m sure KFC appreciates all the free advertising.

Here’s some interesting background on (apparently) the same woman: foxnews.com/us/2012/03/06/200-cats-removed-from-womans-upstate-ny-home.html.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.