Where the artist /creative catholic communities/meccas at?

Hello CAF,

I am interested in and praying about someday joining or starting a creative catholic community that enjoys using pop media to be a positive influence on our children.

Comedy / parody videos, music videos, viral videos, short skits / films and so on would all be game. I have a ton of ideas, have the equipment to create music and video, and envision creating branded youtube channels. The end goal would be to eventually lead our kids from worldly content to content centered around the teaching / ministry arm of the Church.

I know location can be important, so does anyone know of any good communities or meccas that could provide like minded people? So far, I have come up with southern California, ala Icon Productions (Mel Gibson) and Mesa Arizona, ala Matt Maher / St Tim's Catholic Church (worship / music community). Any others???

Kind regards, Chad

we’re too spread out, unfortunately.

maybe an online collaboration project is the way to start.

california is way too expensive as are most large cities these days otherwise i’d say nyc and chicago. i would suggest pittsburgh except i read they have the second largest air pollution problem in the nation, but they do have a growing creative scene along with a huge Catholic population from what i gather.

florida will always be filled to the brim with strange and lovable Catholic characters. :smiley:

also, you might want to research the Catholic Worker communities. they tend to attract highly intelligent, independent, kind and creative people.

please keep me posted on what you come up with!

peace,
jen

Hi Jen,

Thank you for the ideas-- I would not have thought of Pittsburgh.
Florida interests me as well-- I know there’s a big dance / house / electronica
music scene there. I have been interested in producing that type of music in
a more modest and virtuous form ( I enjoy going counter culture and think people
would be refreshed by dance music that is not so decadent ).

I think your idea regarding online colabs is probably the best place to start, as it does seem spread out with few and far between.

California does seem overpriced and oversold-- I am not sure whether the Lord will keep me here.

Well, take care, and keep me posted on any creative ventures the Lord brings you as well.
Regards, Chad

hi chad.

i have many friends that record by themselves from home and then distribute online. you don't need other band members to produce that kind of music so really just go for it!

you can upload to each place by yourself or look into companies that handle digital distribution. here's an example from reverbnation

best of luck,
jen

and yes, i'll keep you posted. peace.

An article on a Catholic traditional music movement in downtown Phoenix that could grow:

catholicphoenix.com/2012/01/18/active-contemplative-on-central-avenue/

i would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear gregorian chant during Mass! i honestly can not stand 95% of the music i usually hear. please Lord, bring us more Catholic Masses with Gregorian Chant and where no one holds hands during the Our Father! :gopray2:

One possibility might be to go to a town with a Catholic university that takes their Catholic identity very seriously (i.e., one of the colleges from the Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College).

University towns always have a steady influx of young, technologically astute people who are ready to take on the world. :slight_smile: If you set up shop in such a place, I’m sure you’d have no trouble finding people who are willing and able to help you in your venture.

Plus, your address can lend a certain air of credibility to your project from the get-go. If you say that you’re based out of Steubenville, OH, or Ave Maria, FL, people will automatically associate you with the local University. It puts people at ease with regards to your orthodoxy. (But then, there might also be a certain demographic that dismisses you for that same reason.)

[quote="Arizona_Mike, post:6, topic:273408"]
An article on a Catholic traditional music movement in downtown Phoenix that could grow:

catholicphoenix.com/2012/01/18/active-contemplative-on-central-avenue/

[/quote]

Thanks Mike-- that was an amazing story!!

[quote="Joe_5859, post:8, topic:273408"]
One possibility might be to go to a town with a Catholic university that takes their Catholic identity very seriously (i.e., one of the colleges from the Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College).

University towns always have a steady influx of young, technologically astute people who are ready to take on the world. :) If you set up shop in such a place, I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding people who are willing and able to help you in your venture.

Plus, your address can lend a certain air of credibility to your project from the get-go. If you say that you're based out of Steubenville, OH, or Ave Maria, FL, people will automatically associate you with the local University. It puts people at ease with regards to your orthodoxy. (But then, there might also be a certain demographic that dismisses you for that same reason.)

[/quote]

Joe, great idea and good points. I have been praying about that: whether to go in the direction of a creative ministry that builds up the Church vs evangelical outreach that's geared more toward the lost (or do both? I don't think I've seen that done).

If the former, then I should consider relocating to Steubenville or Ave Maria or similar place; if the latter, then LA, NYC, or the like.

Hey Guys,

So my friend turned me on to this amazing resource that I wanted to share with you:
It's called Catholic Underground, started in NYC by the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal.
Their events begin with adoration, prayer, and praise, but afterwards they move into music, dance, poetry, drama, etc. This is right along the lines of what I was looking for, but if anything else comes to you, let me know (more the better).

catholicunderground.net/home.html

We need a renaissance in Catholic art, music, film, etc. There's not enough of it! Good on you for trying clbsc7!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.