Where to baptize baby

My friend is Catholic and had a civil marriage to a Seventh day Adventist who is against the Catholic Church.

The wife and Seventh day Ad. Said that she doesn’t want their baby to be baptized Catholic,and my friend the Catholic said that they may not baptize the baby at all because neither wants it to be baptized in the others church.

I didn’t know what to say to him,does anyone know what is best to do?

Of course we would like to see the baby become Catholic but she is against Catholics.
She says that they take money off the people and use it themselves or something.
And my friend the Catholic doesn’t practice his faith and said he doesn’t care even if the baby isn’t baptized.

Poor marraige, really. That’s what you get when you don’t follow Jesus’ Church’s teachings.

Ask the priest for help for sure, but if he is not a practicing Catholic this would be unlikely. I think for you the most important thing should be bringing your friend back to our true faith. I will pray today for Catholic leavers to be united in our catholic church once again, and you could as well.

Your friend is in an invalid marriage and is also deliberately endangering the immortal soul of his baby.

The Catholic Church will not baptise the baby if the child is not to be brought up in the Catholic faith.

Canon law:

Can. 868 §1** For an infant to be baptised lawfully it is required**:

1° that the parents, or at least one of them, or the person who lawfully holds their place, give their consent;

2°** that there be a well-founded hope that the child will be brought up in the catholic religion. If such hope is truly lacking, the baptism is, in accordance with the provisions of particular law, to be deferred and the parents advised of the reason for this. **

§2 An infant of catholic parents, indeed even of non-catholic parents, may in danger of death be baptised even if the parents are opposed to it.

Pray for the parents and the baby. You cannot make him baptize his child, and I don’t believe the Adventists have a valid formula for baptism anyway (triune blessing and water). Best thing to do is pray and whenever possible seek to turn your friend back to the church.

Actually, most of them do. But there is no infant baptism in SDAs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.