Where to go from here

I’ve been interested in helping out the homeless and/or children outside of the U.S. Whether it be for only a week or several months. I’ve prayed about this daily, and I feel it’s something I must do and something I want to do. I’m willing to make sacrifices and part with many things at home in order to spread joy to others who don’t know God. There’s just one thing I’m stuck on…

How do I get started? Is there some sort of charity or group that helps plan out mission trips? I unfortunately don’t have special qualities such as being a doctor or teacher, but I’ll do whatever I can to help.

:blessyou: for all your effort and faithful heart…

[quote="lizds, post:1, topic:228243"]
I've been interested in helping out the homeless and/or children outside of the U.S. Whether it be for only a week or several months. I've prayed about this daily, and I feel it's something I must do and something I want to do. I'm willing to make sacrifices and part with many things at home in order to spread joy to others who don't know God. There's just one thing I'm stuck on...

How do I get started? Is there some sort of charity or group that helps plan out mission trips? I unfortunately don't have special qualities such as being a doctor or teacher, but I'll do whatever I can to help.

[/quote]

The Catholic Church have many organisations invloved in helping in Third World countries.Speak to your priest or Diocese and find out what they are involved in.We have visiting missionaries from various organisations we help raise money for in our parish to visit us throughout the year,they talk to us about their work and what they have acheived..Cafod do an awful .Because I have a family & caring commitments I cannot do this so I donate a monthly subscription to Cafod instead and Sponsor a child in Uganda.God bless you for your caring heart

God want You to do something,and He will show You the way,so look carefully so that You will see what He shows You. God bless You lad,You are one of the chosen.

You might try asking the Missionaries of Charity (of Bl. Mother Teresa), I know they have
lay people who join them overseas for both determined & undetermined periods of time…
Within the USA, there is a community of Sisters (w/habit) in upstate NY: The Daughters
of Mary Mother of Healing Love. They care for homeless &/or abandoned children…Perhaps they would accept you as a lay helper or direct you to what you are seeking. My prayers for you…God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.