Where to learn more about St. Joseph

In confession the priest recommended to me that I develop a devotion to St. Joseph. Besides what is said about him in the Bible, do y’all have any suggestions on books or documents that I could read to get to understand him better and learn more about him?

Also, if you already have a devotion to St. Joseph any advice or experiences you want to share would be great, too. Thank you :slight_smile:

There are numerous books, but where I learned about him the first was in a pamphlet book for a Novena to St. Joseph. I was still in my early twenties. In it it had meditations for each day on his life with Mary and Jesus. I then re-read the Bible where Joseph was mentioned. Including the Torah Joseph. (There are some remarkable shared traits. Dreams, Egypt, being a Just and Merciful man…)

Then I found out from a priest at Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville Ill. that St. Bernadette of Lourdes had a devotion to him. He told me that she was often found kneeling saying her rosary while in front of the statue of St. Joseph. Well I thought if a seer of Our Lady also had a devotion to St. Joseph I should look a little more.

There was a shrine to St. Joseph I visited as a young person, in St. Louis It is worth reading the website, it is not only on the National Trust of Historic Places it is the site of a verified miracle. shrineofstjoseph.org/

A few years ago my dh and I left our children with a relative for a short trip to Montreal. Our first real stop on our first full day was the Oratory of St. Joseph. saint-joseph.org/en/ They have a gift shop so you may be able to order some good materials on him there.

Ask your SD/Confessor if he has a specific book in mind.
There are several books about him, publishers I would recommend would be Tan or CA. It appears that I have donated all of my St. Joseph books to my parish library otherwise I would give you specific titles I’ve read. If CA has any, I can’t remember, I would start there after a novena to St. Joseph.
There was one book I read years ago, "Joseph, Man closest to Christ’, and it was excellent.

God Bless you and know that St. Joseph is a faithful and Good friend in Heaven.

egretps, thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I have been on the websites and the second one had many prayers. I had no idea about St. Bernadette. She has interceded for my son’s asthma which has gotten much better. That is an interesting connection. I will look for the book you recommended. I just finished my first novena to St. Joseph (I started it when the priest spoke to me about him) and am blessed to have a new heavenly friend. Thanks again!

Hi!

I once did a presentation on St. Joseph; if you like I can PM it to you.

Maran atha!

Angel

I recommend “The Life of Saint Joseph as manifested by Our Lord, Jesus Christ to Maraia Cecilia Baij, O.S.B.”

From the excerpt: “Saint Joseph lived his life hidden in the Divine Light of Sacred Mysteries. He was a living prayer of faith and trust and dedication. Read this beautiful account of St. Joseph’s life, as revealed by Jesus to Sr. Maria Baij in 1736.”

You can find it on Amazon.

Try Poem of the Man God by Maria Valtorta (private revelation)

Also, See prayer below

St. Joseph, oh good and loving foster father of my Lord and savior Jesus Christ, I pray for your powerful intercession.
St. Joseph, construct me with faith.
St. Joseph, build a temple for the Holy Spirit within me.
St. Joseph, form me with humility.
St. Joseph, finish me with love.
St. Joseph, protect me with wisdom.
St. Joseph, lead and guide me with your paternal care.
St. Joseph, help me with your loving hands.
St. Joseph, pray for me with your holy heart.
And pray for all of those souls and sinners out there who are in need of your powerful intercession tonight, St. Joseph, oh good and loving foster father of my Lord and savior Jesus Christ, thank you for all that you do. My prayer is that I may be more like you and more like Jesus, and less like me, for Jesus must increase, and I must decrease. In Jesus’ holy name we pray.
Amen.

Here is a link to some prayers to St. Joseph;

sacredheart-op.org/St.%20Joseph%20Chaplet.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.