Where to purchased the Bible in Latin

Can anyone recommend a good online place to buy a copy of the Latin Vulgate? I was thinking that I should purchase the New Vulgate, which I found at www.paxbook.com. Does this make sense, or is there a better way to go?

The Vulgate is online at

drbo.org/lvb/

I just use that…They also have the Douay there, which is how I happened on it.
I can’t help on a print Bible, but this site is a big help to me–and it’s free.
God bless.

I don’t know anywhere to purchase the Nova Vulgata other than paxbook. Older versions of the Vulgate are available from many sources that sell books and/or Latin resources (hint: search for biblia vulgata or biblia sacra vulgata). I was able to pick one up for ~$25 (about 1/2 the new price) through a used book site a couple of years ago.

tee

Ebay perhaps? However, why would you want a Latin Bible unless you were fluent in Latin, even then you could just translate a douay or something similar yourself.

[quote=twiztedseraph]Ebay perhaps? However, why would you want a Latin Bible unless you were fluent in Latin, even then you could just translate a douay or something similar yourself.
[/quote]

Some of us use it to hone our fluency in Latin. And why would one not want to? It is still the official language of the Church.

tee

why would you want a Latin Bible unless you were fluent in Latin

Why stop there? And those who are fluent in Latin would also want to have the Greek New Testament, Septuagint and the Hebrew texts. Various bible societies sell them. They are relatively cheap. The koine impaired can obtain an interlinear NIV through Zondervan.

John Cameron

Some of us use it to hone our fluency in Latin. And why would one not want to? It is still the official language of the Church.

tee

I use prayers from the net. Recently I have moved onto the scriptures. Its still kinda hard though :frowning:

[quote=twiztedseraph]I use prayers from the net. Recently I have moved onto the scriptures. Its still kinda hard though
[/quote]

It was wise advice :thumbsup: from my former Latin teacher, when I asked his help to recover the high-school Latin I’d allowed to lapse for half a lifetime:

“Get a Vulgate and read the Gospel of John. You already know the story, and John repeats himself an awful lot, usually giving you two or three chances to figure out what he’s saying.”
:rotfl:

tee

You can order a copy of the Vulgate on the internet from Stella Maris Books at
stellamarisbooks.com
Simply type Vulgate in the search box at the top of their website page. I have ordered books from this source on occasion over the last 30 years and this is a reputable company for Catholic publications. The list price is $67.95 for the Vulgate.

You may buy it from www.amazon.com.:slight_smile:

Hi Sal,

WARNING!

Many editions of the old Vulgate don’t have punctuation! Difficult to read.

That is why you should make sure you get the New Vulgate. It is practically identical. Corrections have been made in a few places where a reading was definitely wrong.

You can buy it at

paxbook.com/texec/mediainfo.jsp?product_id=1199

Verbum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.