Where words are many

In The Book of Proverbs, Chapter 10 Verse 19 states:
Where words are many, sin is not wanting;
but who restrains his lips does well.

Please explain how sin is not wanting where words are many.

Some people just like to air their own views,
and NOT shut up and listen to other people’s
views. That is just “motor-mouth” syndrome,
the sin is the sin of turning a deaf ear to help-
ful input from others.

“but who restrains his lips does well” Gossip is not just motor mouth syndrome. Not being mindful, charitable, and moderate in our speech is unwholesome and in your vernacular(?) sinful. Stay safe/blessings.

It sounds like another way of saying “least said soonest mended”.

If, in certain contexts, we don’t put a bridle on our speech, we will eventually say something false, uncharitable or completely unnecessary. The Church Fathers all warn against this.

I can talk quite a bit, but I try to say little aspirations in between speech (sometimes) to ensure that I don’t sin.

I said, "I will guard my ways,
that I may not sin with my tongue;
I will bridle my mouth,
so long as the wicked are in my presence."

(Psalm 39:1)

If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man’s religion is vain. (James 1:26)

***So the tongue is a little member and boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire! And the tongue is a fire. The tongue is an unrighteous world among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the cycle of nature, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by humankind, but no human being can tame the tongue – a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brethren, this ought not to be so. *(James 3:5-10)

-Tim-

My friend, it’s because:

Mt 15:18,19 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.

That’s why we pray:

Ps 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Mike

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.