Where's Our Leader?

A parish ministry leader who does not attend Mass regularly should resign from the post.

Are you sure he or she isn’t attending a different Mass than you are?

His priority to attend Holy Days of Obligations depends if he has finished his homework.

First when the parish schedules Holy Day Masses they should accommodated workers and students, my old parish had 9 am only. Second, I sometimes, especially on a Holy Day go to my residential parish rather than my work parish because then my prayer before, after and during Mass is not interrupted by people asking questions about CCD or youth group. Same with holy hours, I go to another parish for adoration because people find me in the chapel and start talking to me.

[quote=prophetdaniel]His priority to attend Holy Days of Obligations depends if he has finished his homework.
[/quote]

I think some further information about the age of this leader and the ministry in which he exercises leadership would be helpful in evaluating this situation. I had originally presumed him to be an adult, but the above suggests this may not be correct. If he is a teen or a child the primary responsibility for overseing both his attendance at Mass and his finishing his homework is his parents’, and while he might exercise some limited leadership in a youth group or something similar, primary leadership should be held by an adult. If he is an adult college student he should be able to manage his time to attend Mass and finish his homework. Necessary class or work schedules may prevent his attendance at Mass through no fault of his own, but homework time is generally more flexible.

What do you mean by “reguarlarly?” Do you mean every Sunday?

Again, as another poster mentioned, are you sure that this person is not attending Mass at a different time?

Why would this person not attend Mass regularly anyhow?

An adult who deliberately misses Mass on a Sunday or Holy Day of Obligation commits a mortal sin. Such a person should not be leading a parish ministry.

[quote=Michael Welter]An adult who deliberately misses Mass on a Sunday or Holy Day of Obligation commits a mortal sin. Such a person should not be leading a parish ministry.
[/quote]

Good point. But consider the requirements for mortal sin:

Must be very serious offense-Missing Mass is serious
Must know that it is very serious- Does he?
Must go ahead and do it.

In some cases this obligation is not being preached. Do you see long lines at confession? Many who do not take the Mass obligation seriously, still go to Communion, when they do go.

Our pastor constantly reminds our parish of the seriousness of missing Mass.

[quote=Deacon Tony560]Good point. But consider the requirements for mortal sin:

Must be very serious offense-Missing Mass is serious
Must know that it is very serious- Does he?
Must go ahead and do it.

In some cases this obligation is not being preached. Do you see long lines at confession? Many who do not take the Mass obligation seriously, still go to Communion, when they do go.

Our pastor constantly reminds our parish of the seriousness of missing Mass.
[/quote]

If they don’t know missing Mass is a mortal sin, they need to learn it is- and until then, let someone who knows what they are doing lead the ministry. Homework is not an excuse to miss Mass- an education won’t save your soul.

What is the reason for asking this question? Do you want a group of people to agree with you in your negative judgment of this person? How is that helpful?

Betsy

I do not present negative judgment of this person. To clarify, he is a good person. Myself and his co-ministry leaders often let him know everyone values his leadership.

I do encourage him to attend Mass at any parish of his choice. I am just having trouble understanding why he continues to skip Mass.

What else can I do?

[quote=prophetdaniel]What else can I do?
[/quote]

Perhaps you could ask the priest to speak to him.

Betsy

I had discussed this with priests: do not judge; guide them. Persons who deliberately skip ministry training, meetings, prep-work for major liturgical celebrations, and skip Mass (especially 12 Days of Christmas, Easter Triduum) should not be a leader in any ministry. Leaders need to walk-the-talk. Working and assisting the sick are valid. Studying is an excuse.

I too am volunteering except I am the Coordinator.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.