Where's the humour?

I’m not sure where to post this question so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

But where’s the humour in being a catholic? I mean this seriously. In my real life, and in the job I do especially, I have a wicked sense of humour. People make me laugh all day long, and I make them laugh. I’m known for my sense of humour, among friends family and work collegues. My home is filled with laughter all day long - well mostly :smiley:

I’ve been comming on this board since comming back to the catholic church, and trying to find my way without making the mistakes I made earlier that led me astray.

But I’m geting fed up with this place already to be honest.

It seems that catholicism is unbareably ‘‘dry’’. Everything is a sin or the cause of sin. The self righteousness of some people on this board is stomach churning. I’m finding more and more I’m seekout out the non catholic stuff because some of it is so bonkers it makes me laugh. Is this what life is like as a fully fledged obedient catholic - humourless, dry and insufferably self righteous?

fisheaters.com/jokes.html:D

lyon.edu/webdata/groups/ccm/humor/humor.html:rolleyes:

jokes.edigg.com/Catholic/

And check out the two forums under THE WATER COOLER:o

catholicpeople.com/Catholic-humor/jokes.htm

We’ve got a few threads around here about “how many Catholic Answer’s Forum (CAF) members does it take to change a light bulb?” Those are worth a read once in a while. Here is one. I’m sure there is a selection of penguin jokes somewhere as well.

I know exactly what you mean, though, about how this place can seem like a bunch of dry argument. We’ve got a lot of posters (:whistle:) who may be looking for a good intellectual argument now and then. Sort of like a chance to try their wings in the field of “apologetics”. That is a hazard of an apologetics site. It isn’t always the greatest place to grow spiritually. I mean, it can be!!!:yup:, but it doesn’t have the same feel as joining a group at the local parish.

I smile and joke a lot in real life, too! I can’t imagine life without lots of laughter. I don’t share a sense that “everything is a sin”. Very little in life seems sinful to me. Most of it seems free for the choosing. Perhaps that is something that changes with time. Sometimes people feel more one way, sometimes the other. Do you want to share some more about this sense of sin that you mention? I probably have the total wrong idea of what you meant, you know. I’m terrible that way. :blush:

St. Teresa of Avila, and a master of the spiritual life and also mystical theology, wrote something like “Lord, spare me Your gloomy saints”…the Gifts of the Holy Spirit are
Wisdom
Understanding
Counsel
Knowledge
Fortitude
Piety
Fear of The Lord

I think “sense of humour” should be added:D …perhaps too often we take ourselves far too seriously. A sense of humour and sharing it is a product of Peace and Joy.

I’ve been comming on this board since comming back to the catholic church, and trying to find my way without making the mistakes I made earlier that led me astray.

But I’m geting fed up with this place already to be honest.

It seems that catholicism is unbareably ‘‘dry’’. Everything is a sin or the cause of sin. The self righteousness of some people on this board is stomach churning. I’m finding more and more I’m seekout out the non catholic stuff because some of it is so bonkers it makes me laugh. Is this what life is like as a fully fledged obedient catholic - humourless, dry and insufferably self righteous?

I wish you could find us so bonkers that we are totally laughable…some posts one just has to smile and move on or even try to inject some lightness and humour into the thread…
Your Post was very sad to read, CreatioNova…and a wake up call to all of ushttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_11_4.gif…do try the WATER COOLER FORUM as suggested by Andruschak - I duck over there now and then too for a smile and a laugh to brighten the day…The Apologetics and Spirituality Forums are probably pretty serious places to linger…

Quoting Pug:

Do you want to share some more about this sense of sin that you mention? I probably have the total wrong idea of what you meant, you know. I’m terrible that way. :blush:

:thumbsup: …I too may have misunderstood and would appreciate you sharing as outlined above…

Blessings…Barb:)

Pug and Barb - :thumbsup: thank you :smiley:

No you both read me right, in the sense that the more I delve into my catholicism, the drier and more dyer it seems. The sense of sin comes from reading the authors on this board. If I light up a cigarette with coworkers for a quick break at work, I’m now contempkating is that a sin :confused: beacuse of stuff Ive read here. If I look at a pretty woman, its a sin. If I let rip to my heavy metal music (obviously when theres noone else in the house !!!) it’s a sin, if I buy my favourite comedian’s tapes it’s a sin because he’s gay and Im supporting his gay lifestyle… it never ends :frowning: And that’s not even going anywhere near theology, spirituality, mass, liturgy and everything else.
I’d echo that saint but the way I feel now its a bit like spare me from the gloom of catholicism. :frowning: Sorry but thats how Im feeling right now, Im sure it will pass :o

It’s hard to judge Catholicism as “dry” based on a forum.

After all, you don’t see people face to face and you don’t know how they live their life.

G.K. Chesterton IMO is the best example of fun and faith for me :smiley:

Also, you should watch out for scrupulosity. It takes the joy out of life. :slight_smile:

Sorry but thats how Im feeling right now, Im sure it will pass :o

Thank you very much, CN, for this hopeful news! I will be keeping you in prayer and do keep us updated on how things are unfolding. The stuff you read in these forums is not necessarily correct Catholic teaching. One of the things I love about Catholicism is our theology, which is very compassionate, understanding and generous - reflecting God’s Love and Mercy…and we dont always live this out for sure, nor procalim it - yet the theology stands and transcends, is superior to, our failures.

What you are experiencing is nothing new in theTheology of Spirituality…there have been times when I can feel like I want to chuck it all in and I’ll go through a patch of total repugnance and questionings that could rapidly become doubt if I let it…and apparently we have a nun-saint (I have forgotten her name - and I wish I could recall it and should make a note of these things) who went through a patch of such repugnance she wanted to churck her Office Book out the nearest window. So feel in good company - the unknown saint, I mean.
Over and above that, I think you have hit a valid point. We claim to have Good News and if you go by our dispositions and attitudes at times, one can scratch one’s head indeed as to where “Good News, huh?” This points to another point of theology…The Church as it is and limited and affected through our faulted humanity and as it will be at the end of time as Fulfilled in Christ.

And at this point, I fear that I am just as lacking in a joyous mode which is the central point of your thread subject.:o For as often as one may try there are probably three failures somewhere.

Praying that your current disposition will pass…I know it is a rough and unpleasant ride while aware no person can really stand in another’s shoes.

Blessings…and thank you so much for that final sentence that was very kind and thoughtful, instilling hope in us…Barb:)

Have you heard about the Islamic person that goes to Heaven and St. Peter is showing him around Heaven. They seem to walk for miles past a very high wall and in the end the Islamic man turns to Peter:
“What’s the high wall, Peter?”
"Ssshhhhh…we must be quiet…its for the Catholics who think they are the only one’s up here"http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_11.gif
Edit:…something just occurred to me that I can’t resist adding : and if these good ‘catholics’ knew that non Catholics were in Heaven, they would probably protest vehemently and threaten to leave until Heaven was cleaned up of hereticshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_219.gif

Arvinsim - I do think on reflection scrupulosity might be raising it’s head a bit :thumbsup:

Barbara - I’m going to bed with a smile :smiley:

Thank you :smiley:

It is a big person indeed that can see the fault when another points it out…most of us go on the attack:o (Mea Culpa!)

I see you are reading the Rule of St. Benedict (your signature)…St. Teresa of Avila had a sense of the funny that occur very often in her writings…but also in her Primitive Constitutions for the Order of Carmel. She is speaking of the nuns’ recreation time and orders that no games are to be played and she adds something like this “since The Lord will send sisters to keep you amused”. I laughed when I first read that - a bit ambiguous in a very funny way! Sometimes it helps to be a “reader under the lines”. She tells her readers too that one day she is crossing a stream on a donkey and falls off into the water and promptly says to The Lord “Well, if this is the way you are going to treat your friends! Then dont complain if you have so few!!!”:rotfl:

Glad to have raised a smile, Deo Gratius…when things get you down and they can - try the WATER COOLER…some really funny stuff in there…Barb:)

Martin Luther died, and went to heaven. But he was shocked at all the catholics also getting into heaven. So he went up to Saint Peter and said, “Let ME decide who gets into heaven!” Peter shrugged his shoulders and let Luther have his way. So it was that not a single Catholic entered heaven via the Pearly Gates. Luther led a miserable life there at the gate, forsaking all the joys of heaven. But he stuck it out

But the day came when one of Luther’s friends took pity on him and broke the news to him gently.

“Mother Mary is letting all the catholics into heaven through the side window.”

I have a variation on that though I have never heard the above joke before. I tell people about “Mary’s Gate” which is at the rear of Heaven constructed for Our Lady by Jesus, Her Son, and Joseph, her husband who were carpenters…aided by The Holy Spirit who keeps The Father occupied during construction and all the consequent admittances to Heaven through this gate.
Each evening The Father does a headcount comparing those Peter has admitted to Heaven and those present. He continually appears to all bemused because there are always more present than admitted by Peter…the extras are courtesy of Mary, The Holy Spirit, Jesus and Joseph and her special gate for struggling sinners…while The Father smiles to Himself and makes out He doesn’t know.

If you see similarities to the above with Mary telling her son at Cana that “they have no wine” and all that happens after…there are!!!

I suggest you read these blogs
aliveandyoung.blogspot.com/
splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/index.html
americanpapist.com/blog.html

Only have the time to have a quick look indeed at one Blog…and if the following is any reflection of all the rest, I can’t wait to read them…and THANKS A MINT FOR POSTING THE LINKS:tiphat: …

http://bp2.blogger.com/_fOORhFmbA6s/SJJ2LWsBYnI/AAAAAAAABDw/I0F3JqWVY3A/s400/jesusknocking2dp.jpg

That will have me laughing for a long time and I plan to print it out along with this one:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_fOORhFmbA6s/SJJ2LvJ84oI/AAAAAAAABEA/XVWBbFT7SCQ/s400/religious4.jpg

and this …

http://bp2.blogger.com/_fOORhFmbA6s/SJNAqq9f0AI/AAAAAAAABEo/56aMXlRQf5A/s400/01AwcAX34POJIAAAABAAAAAAAAAAA-.jpg

Okay, we’ve loaded the thread up with plenty of smiles for tomorrow, too. Here’s one more:

An elderly couple die together in a car accident and go to heaven. Saint Peter gives them a tour. “Here is your penthouse overlooking the beach to the west and beautiful mountains to the east. Over there are the swimming pools, golf courses, concert hall, and spa. We have many four star restaurants for your enjoyment.” At this point the man turns and hisses to his wife, “Dang nabbit, Louise! We could have been here ten years ago if you hadn’t gotten caught up in that low-fat bran muffin kick!”

I was just as glad as Barb to hear that you think this will pass. I like good music, too, btw.

“Dang nabbit, Louise! We could have been here ten years ago if you hadn’t gotten caught up in that low-fat bran muffin kick!”

The ever present conflict!:smiley:

21 months later, I still would love a nice strong coffee with a cigarette! I heard Pope Benedict likes to light up a good cigar. The only reason I gave up smoking was because financially it was no longer feasible nor realistic for me. I still love to sit with others who are smoking and just inhale gratefully all that passive smoking. Our media here is hot on all the carbon monixide in our atmosphere far more damaging than smoking and due to car fumes…I wonder if the righteous intend to give up their cars and campaign to stop them.:smiley:
I love good music! and good comedy! next time I hear that one of my favourties is “out of favour with the righteous” - I shall simply say a prayer for all and sundry including myself - and still indulge in my love of good music and good comedy…and nothing wrong with an admiring eye for all of God’s creation without excepitons.

…and at times I can be just as self righteous as the best…again! that flamin log in my eye;) …mea maxima culpa…

You don’t find this place funny?

Catholic humor* is* dry, and not all that funny, kind of like English humor.

We humans can be very funny indeed…attributing to the fact that God must have a sense of humour.
Sometimes the humour can be very tongue in cheek…but to date I cannot find a Smiley that has the tongue in the cheek, which would certainly help! (any contributors with link to a tongue in cheek smiley would be appreciated).
Waiting for the rain to stop so I can go out!!!:mad: …no car, so the two foots’s and a shaky umbrella from long use make do. It refuses to perform to any standard of adequacy whatsoever in the slightest wind coupled with rain. But in our drought, rain on!!! More useless information for yer.:smiley:

Knock knock.
Who’s there?
Goliath.
Goliath who?
Go Lieth down, thou lookest tired.:rolleyes:

God saw that Adam could find no suitable companion in all of creation. So he came to Adam and told him that He was going to create a companion for Man. God was going to make her love Man with all her heart and treat Man as the head of the house. She was going to be lovely and affectionate all the days of her life. In her, Adam would find happiness every night and she would keep the home ready every day for him.

Adam was excited and asked God what it was going to cost him. God told Adam it would cost an arm and a leg. “Hmm,” said Adam. " What can I get for a rib?"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.