Where's the money?

Why dont Jehovah’s Witnesses spend their time and money building schools, doing charity work, and making organizations to help others?

Does all the money they donate to their kingdome halls go to making those cheesy booklets in New York?

Maybe Im just missinformed, so can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks
God Bless

Maybe Jeffrey can, I believe it all goes to headquarters.

Jehovah’s Witnesses do not do any charitable work.

In Christ
Scylla

I think I’d be careful with this one. This would bring out why don’t they (us) sell all the art work and buildings and land and give the money to the poor. Don’t give them (whoever they are) any ideas.

John

To answer your question:

Building schools? There are plenty of public schools out there that we also attend. So there is no need to build schools.

We do charity work. We do help others. That is a personal thing and not an organizational thing.

And the best way to help others is by education, particularly biblical education?

Teaching people to be good people is the way to prevent these other problems that these charities try to remedy.

I could ask the same question. Why don’t Catholics help others, I mean in the Biblical educational forum.

jwproclaimers.org

That is not true.

What is charity?

1. benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity
    2 a : generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also : aid given to those in need b : an institution engaged in relief of the poor c : public provision for the relief of the needy
    3 a : a gift for public benevolent purposes b : an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift
    4 : lenient judgment of others

Jehovah’s Witnesses do not do 2-b and 2-c as we are not an institution engaged in relief of the poor of public provisions for the relief of the needy.

That is not the purpose of Christians and Christianity.

It’s purpose is to preach and teach God’s kingdom.

We do charity work that is in line with that.

jwproclaimers.org

The problem is not having land and buildings and artwork but the excess just for the lavishness of having the beyond the necessity.

jwproclaimers.org

Catholics have been preaching and teaching Gods’ Kingdom for 2000 years, look up Ignatius of Antioch. Plus doing charity work.

I will stand by my statement and please don’t say it isn’t true without proving it.
They do no real charity except selfish charity, which is trying to spread Charles Taze Russells errors which resulted in the Jehovah’s Witness sect.

The Bible says that pure religion is
"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows 15 in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

So since Jehovah’s Witnesses just spread their interpretation of the Bible without any charity they are not a pure religion.

Unfortunately Jehovah’s Witnesses are stuck in the dilemma which they can never answer.

What is their authority to interpret the Bible since their group started with Charles Taze Russell.
Since they have no authority and are based upon a man’s idea of what religion should be then they are stuck ignoring truth and then just spreading their interpretation on a novel version of the Bible called the "New World Translation"
So instead of doing any charity they just mislead people into a sect which forces them to have to hate truth and actually reject Heaven.

So I will stand by my statement and invite all Jehovah’s Witnesses to investigate the foundations of their group, unless they are content with being dishonest and never investigating.

As a Christian you are required to always give a reason for the hope that is in you, so I trust that you will search for truth and honestly keep your heart open to it.

In Christ
Scylla

I would differ that Catholics understand what God’s kingdom is, but that is another topic.

I will stand by my statement and please don’t say it isn’t true without proving it.
They do no real charity except selfish charity, which is trying to spread Charles Taze Russells errors which resulted in the Jehovah’s Witness sect.

C. T. Russell. When all else fails, default with an attack on CT Russell.

The Bible says that pure religion is
"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows 15 in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

So since Jehovah’s Witnesses just spread their interpretation of the Bible without any charity they are not a pure religion.

We do care for orphans and widows, physically and spiritually.
We just do it on a personal level. And did you forget about the “keep oneself unstained by the world” part?

Unfortunately Jehovah’s Witnesses are stuck in the dilemma which they can never answer.

No dilemma, we help ones just fine.

What is their authority to interpret the Bible since their group started with Charles Taze Russell.
Since they have no authority and are based upon a man’s idea of what religion should be then they are stuck ignoring truth and then just spreading their interpretation on a novel version of the Bible called the “New World Translation”

I see that you have been greatly misinformed. We did not start with Charles Russell.

So instead of doing any charity they just mislead people into a sect which forces them to have to hate truth and actually reject Heaven.

We do not hate truth but stick to it.

We do not reject heaven but we accept the kingdom of the heavens.

So I will stand by my statement and invite all Jehovah’s Witnesses to investigate the foundations of their group, unless they are content with being dishonest and never investigating.

As a Christian you are required to always give a reason for the hope that is in you, so I trust that you will search for truth and honestly keep your heart open to it.

The foundations of our group is the Bible. We investigate it quite often and are honest with it.

BTW, having orphanages or hospitals under the name of a religion is not charity. Real charity is eliminating the need for such things.

Hi All:

When I was a JW we were discouraged from giving money to charities. In short, the main way that JWs are told to contribute to the community is by going from door to door with their literature. They are taught that by making people into good JWs that that is the best contribution they can make to their communities. This may explain why sklemetti said the following:

BTW, having orphanages or hospitals under the name of a religion is not charity. Real charity is eliminating the need for such things.

Of course, going around distributing Bible literature is not going to eliminate the need for people to see a doctor when they are sick, the need for people to learn a trade, or even the need to care for widows and orphans. People have physical needs as well as spiritual needs and to neglect either is wrong. Jesus realized this as well when he fed the 5,000.

While authentic religious education will assist people in leading a good life, in this world people still get sick, still have bad things happen to them, still have to work for a living, still get hungry, and still die. The Early Church was very well known for how they took care of the poor and those in need including those in need who were not Christians. As St. James says:

“Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.” James 1:27

So, contrary to what our JW friends say, Christianity has always been characterized by caring materially for those in need and in an organized way (not just an individual way). If you want an example just look at Acts 6:1-6 where the deacons of the Church organized the Churches’ resources to feed the poor widows. This was not just an individual thing as our JW friend says.

I can remember when I was JW though inactive at the time that a major tornado came through and pretty much wiped out a neighboring town. On the news it was announced that anyone needing housing or food due to tornado damage that night could come to the local Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian and other Churches in the area. I was struck by the silence of the local Kingdom Hall which never made the offer at least not publically to anyone in the community who was in need.

Now, as far as the money that the JWs get for their literature things have changed over the years.

In the past, the JWs sold their literature for a specific price. When I was a pioneer (a full-time JW door to door evangelizer) back in the 1980’s we sold the magazines for 25 cents a piece and most of our books were $3.00 a piece. Then in the 1990’s when some of the states here in the USA threatened to make the Watchtower Society pay sales taxes on their literature sales, the Watchtower Society changed to their current donation arrangement which has really hurt them financially it appears.

My good friend Randy Watters who was at the Headquarters for many years has some really interesting articles on the Watchtower Society’s money practices.

Here is the link:

freeminds.org/bethel/bucks.htm

I hope this helps.

Jeff S.
www.catholicxjw.com

What is their authority to interpret the Bible

Good question…Here is an article that I wrote that addresses it. Here is the link:

catholicxjw.com/fundamentaldoctrine.html

Jeff S.
www.catholicxjw.com

How’s that working for you?

It is the door-to-door thing that kills me… Mormons and JWs are like vacuum cleaner salesmen. Suckers buy junk that will soon be broken and useless.

I don’t mean that to offend. I know that most Mormons and JWs are nice, well-meaning people. But they are on a sales project. When someone buys that new vacuum cleaner, they need others to buy, too, in order to feel validated in their choice. Door-to-door religion and vacuum cleaners… there is a lot they have in common.

How’s that working for you?

I would have to reply that as I don’t have the power to completely eliminating the need for charity on a global scale. Only God has and as his time to do so has not yet arrived, we need charities, orphanages and hospitals. I agree with you that these things under the name of a religion or in the name of christianity is not charity, it’s love which goes beyond charity. It is this divine love we as Christians were asked to give.

I would have to reply that as I don’t have the power to completely eliminating the need for charity on a global scale. Only God has and as his time to do so has not yet arrived, we need charities, orphanages and hospitals. I agree with you that these things under the name of a religion or in the name of christianity is not charity, it’s love which goes beyond charity. It is this divine love we as Christians were asked to give.

Amen!

And this is the great tragedy of what happens when people leave the Church and join groups like the JWs and such. Imagine if all of the activity the JWs put forward in going from door to door preaching what really is a false gospel was used to both help the poor and those in need AND used to teach the authentic Christian faith.

Jeff S.
www.catholicxjw.com

:wave: Hi - welcome to the forum. I would like to extend a greeting to CAF and wish that you would feel comfortable to stay awhile

Please start a thread on this topic

He’s right :tsktsk: - much better to concentrate on Rutherford instead. There’s hardly any resemblance to current JWs now than during the time of Russell’s lead.

I agree that sometimes JWs can be charitable -----at least toward family or other JWs

watchtower.org/library/w/2002/12/1/article_02.htm

While caring for people’s spiritual needs is a priority, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not neglect the material needs of fellow believers. When their brothers suffer the effects of wars, earthquakes, droughts, and storms, they are quick to provide medical supplies, food, clothing, and other necessities. These are financed by donations made by individual Christians and by congregations.

to be fair I did bold and enlarge myself a phrase in the quotation above

from watchtower.org/library/jt/article_02.htm

—THE modern history of Jehovah’s Witnesses began more than a hundred years ago. In the early 1870’s, a rather inconspicuous Bible study group began in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., which is now a part of Pittsburgh. Charles Taze Russell was the prime mover of the group.—

I guess technically since it was first called the Bible Students but then the name changed to Jehovah’s Witnesses under Rutherford, you would be correct.

I’m really trying to be charitable (and stick to topic) so I won’t make a comment but this discussion could go all over the map on that statement.

It would really be great for you to start a thread on this topic for a separate discussion.

And how do you suggest to eliminate orphans or sick/dying people? (pre-Armageddon, of course) Or are you suggesting that secular authority should be responsible for the care instead of faith-based organizational support.

If you do want to be specific then yes I would agree the CT Russell did not specifically start the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I would agree the Joseph Franklin Rutherford started the Jehovah’s Witnessess in 1931, as a new sect which distinguished itself from the Bible Students.

Which means I stand by my statement with a modification of the facts since you do not affiliate yourself with Charles Taze Russel.
So did Joseph Franklin Rutherford make the Jehovah’s Witnesses perfect? Do you believe the exact same as the new sect that he started?

When all else fails, don’t answer the question?:slight_smile:

God Bless
Scylla

When I was a JW, we were still very proud of Russell… he was the original “faithful & discreet slave.” When did JW’s start distancing themselves from him… when they realized he was :whacky: ?

To answer the OP - the WTS owns ALOT of property - they feed & house all of their voulenteer workers - and I imagine they are stockpiling rest of the $ away. I can only assume that since they DON’T do any charitable work whatsoever. It is not part of their religion. Helping one’s fellow man? Never discussed - other than trying to get him to agree to a “Bible study” which is really just an indoctrination of their views - not a real study of the Bible at all.

We were instructed to never contribute to Salvation Army - The Red Cross - Feed the Children - any charity whatsoever - it was likened to being “a part of the world.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.