Whether Protestant of Catholic, which is your favourite Religious Order and why?

If the Benedictines created Benedictine liqueor then the Augustinians would be famous for Scrumpy :stuck_out_tongue:

But just as Benedictines look as if they have just come out of Saville Row, Augustinians look as if they have just slept in their habits.

Actually, Austin spirituality is something I can identify with. I like to go to Clare Priory at Clare near Sudbury on the Suffolk Essex border. It is a beautiful place for a retreat.

If you are ever feeling under pressure, depressed or feel you need a ‘pick me up’ then I recommend at least two days at Clare. It works wonders. Folks back home would notice the change in you.

If I joined an Order, the Augustinians would definitely be my preferred choice :thumbsup:

What is your favourite Religious Order and why? :stuck_out_tongue:

Discalced Carmelites (St. Teresa of Jesus, St. John of the Cross, St. Therese of Lisieux, Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity, etc.) because this is the Order (Secular branch) to which I received a vocation. :gopray:

I would have to go with the Oblates of St. Francis DeSales. They run my school and I have nothing but the most respect for their spirituality.

Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest

Hard question.

I love the Benedictines (and the Basilians) for their antiquity and their solid, unpretentious spirituality. I have a great fondness for the Cistercians because of St. Bernard of Clairvaux, and because from what I hear there’s something rather Protestant (in the best sense) about their traditions of simplicity and Christocentric piety (indeed, I think much of what is healthy in Protestantism comes at least indirectly from the Cistercian tradition). I can’t help but honor the Dominicans for their marvellous intellectual heritage (especially Aquinas, of course). And then there’s the holy poverty of the Franciscans (OK, the Franciscan priest I’ve known best drove an electric car, though he justified it by its environmental value–but holy poverty remains an ideal, right?). “Nudus nudum Christum sequens” (which because of the connotations of nudity in our culture would probably be best translated “destitute following the destitute Christ”). I have a bit of a soft spot for the Augustinians because of the Luther connection (!), and finally as a Wesleyan (of sorts) I feel a certain affinity for the Jesuits, although I don’t really find them very appealing (perhaps it’s my old-fashioned Protestant education with its tales of sneaky Jesuits, or perhaps they’re just not old enough!).

That doesn’t answer your question. . . . Actually I’ve had very little experience with any religious orders. The parish I almost joined in NC was run by (very liberal) Franciscans (including the electric-car-driving priest), and I’ve run into some Jesuits in the academic world. My most intense experience with Catholic monasticism was a brief visit to a Benedictine (but dual-Rite with both Latin and Byzantine monks) monastery in Chevetogne in Belgium (one of the most memorable experiences of my life). But mostly I know religious orders from books and hearsay.

Edwin

Third Order Dominicans.

I was a member, a couple months ago. Got the scapular and everything.

Among the monastic, Benedictines and Trappists, otherwise, the Franciscans. Why? Each has a very special, and different, spirituality that I find attractive.

I like the Carmelites. I also like the Ignatians (Jesuits and Faithful Companions of Jesus) and the Basilian Fathers. I’m least attracted to the Franciscans. Any others, I don’t really know. I once heard a Dominican priest speak who was very good, and I have briefly met members of the Sisters of Charity, who of course are wonderful people, but I don’t really know them very well.

I think I feel more closeness with the Carmelites, in the sense of wishing I were more like them.

Benedictines are also very good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.