Which 1962 missal should I use?

I’m looking for a well bound, classical 1962 missal to use at the Latin Masses I attend. I’ve found several great options, but I’d like the opinions of those on the forums. :slight_smile:

Angelus Press: 1962 Daily Roman Missal

Baronius Press: 1962 Daily Roman Missal

Any other suggestions? I know Angelus is a traditionalist organization, but the Baronius seems to have ‘updates’?

I own the Baronius Press edition. It’s beautiful, though as I mentioned in another thread it smells.

The readings are the traditional version, it uses “Holy Ghost,” plus some beautiful engravings. The “Prayer for the Queen” after Low Mass did kind of throw me at first. :smiley:

The “updates” are minimal but include the new Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary as well as listing the new laws on fasting, abstinence and Eucharistic fast.

Also, a quote from Sacrosanctum Concilium appears in the beginning. :bigyikes:

You can buy it from the FSSP if you don’t want to order it from England.

I avoid Angelus Press products of all types if I can, seeing as how they are closely associated, if not wholly owned, by the schismo SSPX. To be fair, I’ve heard good things about that version too. Depends on if you want to give aid and comfort to the enemy.

The missal from Angelus does not include the Luminous Mysteries but I was surprised (and glad) to find the new laws on fasting with several quotes from the 1983 Code of Canon Law (along with quotes from the 1917).

James

I really love the Angelus Press missal and highly recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup:

But in all fairness I have yet to see the one from Baronius Press. But I hope to be able to purchase it soon. :smiley:

James

I use the St. Andrews missal. I don’t have the Baronius or Angelus missal, but from what I’ve heard, the two missals are much the same in content but very different in size. Basing my opinion on the online examples of the texts and various opinions that I have heard, I think the Baronius missal has a serious flaw. The font size of the latin text in the propers is tiny. The angelus missal is [font=Arial] [/font]** 6 ¼" x 4 ¾" x 1 ½" ** which is much wider than the Baronius missal [font=Verdana] 6.3"x3.75"[/font]. The wider missal allows for angelus to use a bigger font for the latin text of the propers. On the other hand I like the fact that the Baronius missal uses Morocco leather [font=Arial]and has thicker pages.
[/font]

I have both the Baronius and the Angelus. I love both. They are nearly identical, but there are some differences. The Baronius has a leather cover and the Angelus does not. On the other hand, the paper used in the Angelus is the nicest I’ve ever felt, but the Baronius’ paper is only slightly less nice. Where the Angelus really comes out ahead is in the Proper of the Mass section. It is really well done and quite beautiful in the Angelus. In additional to the rubics, the Angelus version contains a superior running commentary of the Mass. Bottom line is if you can afford it, get both. If not, get the Angelus.

I was quite blessed to find a copy of the St Andrews Missal, leatherbound, in a thriftstore recently! It was only a few dollars and so now I am learning how to use it, as I’ve never used one before. Any suggestions, folks? Thanks in advance!

Geraldine

Is it a daily one? If it has the ribbons, typically I would place one at the start of Mass, the Credo, readings for the Mass, and usually the section about the Sacrement of reconciliation. I have a small St. Joseph Sunday Missal and with only one ribbon I have to use book marks and Holy cards. It’ll do for now since I don’t have much money for a newer or daily Missal and I don’t have the opportunity to attend a daily Mass.

Thank you, Eddie! Yes, it is a daily missal, and it has all the colored ribbons. It’s beautiful!

I have used the St. Andrews Missal for over 20 years. It is wonderful. I recently purchased both the Angelus and Baronius versions and like them both. The Baronius version, being smaller, fits better in my briefcase. The paper used in the Angelus version IS (as another member noted) the finest I have ever seen.

Does anyone know why these two publishing companies came out with missals at nearly the same time? It can’t be because there is such a huge market all of a sudden.

[quote=benedictusoblat]Does anyone know why these two publishing companies came out with missals at nearly the same time? It can’t be because there is such a huge market all of a sudden.
[/quote]

Because one of the publishing companies (Baronius) is serving Catholics who are loyal to the Holy See and wish to attend a TLM approved by the respective diocesan authority.

While the other (Angelus) is owned by a schismatic, non-Catholic sect whose main goal is to cause dissension and discord within Holy Mother Church and inflict ever more wounds on the Mystical Body of Christ.

It’s really quite simple. One markets their product to loyal Catholics. The other to prideful dissidents.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Because one of the publishing companies (Baronius) is serving Catholics who are loyal to the Holy See and wish to attend a TLM approved by the respective diocesan authority.

While the other (Angelus) is owned by a schismatic, non-Catholic sect whose main goal is to cause dissension and discord within Holy Mother Church and inflict ever more wounds on the Mystical Body of Christ.

It’s really quite simple. One markets their product to loyal Catholics. The other to prideful dissidents.
[/quote]

Thank you for your inciteful reply. I suspected that was the reason. As for your conclusions regarding “prideful dissidents” - I am honored to be in the company of one who can read souls! Can you also levitate?

[quote=benedictusoblat]Thank you for your inciteful reply. I suspected that was the reason. As for your conclusions regarding “prideful dissidents” - I am honored to be in the company of one who can read souls! Can you also levitate?
[/quote]

I think you meant “insightful.” You’re welcome. :wave:

I don’t have to be able to read souls. I can witness actions. The schismos in the SSPX haven’t exactly tried to hide their contempt for the Church and never hesitate to spew venom at her. Just check out their website.

Thank you for the correction.

I don’t know any SSPX folks personally. I’ll wager my 401k that nearly all of them will come back to the visible unity of the Church as soon as the Pope welcomes them and tells the modernists in no uncertain terms to do the same.

Venom is a common poison that flies during conflict. It is not specific to the SSPX clan.

I look forward to the Holy Father sitting on his throne while the gladiators from each end of the spectrum enter the arena before him to do battle “to the death.” A little colorful language included and the debate will even make for good television ratings. EWTN could see their viewership rise exponentially!

All sarcasm aside, I do wish none harm and all well. I happen to agree with much of what the SSPX crowd has to say. I’m just not altogether comfortable with how they say it sometimes.

Benedicite

[quote=Dr. Bombay]I think you meant “insightful.” You’re welcome. :wave:

I don’t have to be able to read souls. I can witness actions. The schismos in the SSPX haven’t exactly tried to hide their contempt for the Church and never hesitate to spew venom at her. Just check out their website.
[/quote]

Come now, where is this venom at the CHURCH?
They have plenty of polemics toward churchMEN and have well supported it.
Their ONLY problem is DISOBEDIENCE to the Pope. They have no animosity to the Church, which they claim as their very own Mother!

But, if you find any venom to the CHURCH, post the location or a quote, I’ll adjust my thinking.

An anti-catholic bigot has venom to the Church.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Because one of the publishing companies (Baronius) is serving Catholics who are loyal to the Holy See and wish to attend a TLM approved by the respective diocesan authority.

[/quote]

A point of interest. I went into an SSPX bookstore at their Church.
BOTH of these Missals were in stock. It allowed me to compare them side by side.
I’m a visual guy. The Angelus has many good qualities, but lacks the pictorial biblical & symbolic art that my Dad’s old '62 (St Joseph) Missal has.

[/quote]

That is inaccurate, and hardly fair. I attend a traditional rite parish in Georgia (FSSP priests). We have several items in our church put out by the SSPX. For example, we use The Traditional Roman Hymnal and another, smaller one (forget the name); they are in our pew racks. Our bookstore also stocks both the Baronius missal and the Angelus missal. Every bit of literature in our parish must first have the approval of our very orthodox priests.

Please don’t forget that Rome has said that faithful Catholics who are attached to the TLM may satisfy their Sunday obligation at an SSPX chapel, if their reason for attending is love of the traditional mass as opposed to dissent from church authority. While I don’t doubt that there are “prideful dissidents” in SSPX parishes, I think it’s equally fair to say that there are just as many, or more, in the Catholic Church as a whole, whose dissent is far more damaging to the faith.

As for the missals, I recently replaced my old St. Andrew’s missal with the Angelus Press one. I compared it to the Baronius, and liked it better. The paper quality is lovely and gilt-edged. Also, the print is larger than in the Baronius missal and very clear and easy to read. (This was a big issue to me, since some of the print in my St. Andrew’s missal is teeny-tiny. :slight_smile: )

While the Angelus missal does not have a real leather cover, the “leatherette” flex cover it does have is of excellent quality and quite beautiful. All in all, the missal is just a joy to use. While you would not be disappointed in either, I think the Angelus missal is superior.

[quote=TNT]Come now, where is this venom at the CHURCH?
They have plenty of polemics toward churchMEN and have well supported it.
Their ONLY problem is DISOBEDIENCE to the Pope. They have no animosity to the Church, which they claim as their very own Mother!

But, if you find any venom to the CHURCH, post the location or a quote, I’ll adjust my thinking.

An anti-catholic bigot has venom to the Church.
[/quote]

sspx.org/Catholic_FAQs/catholic_faqs__traditional.htm

*However, even if we could be certain of the validity of the Novus Ordo Masses celebrated in today’s Conciliar churches, it does not follow that they are pleasing to God.

• and

**However, regardless of the gravity of the sacrilege, the New Mass still remains a sacrilege, and it is still in itself sinful.

• and

However, it is not easy to have the assurance of a valid absolution, given the fact that the post-Conciliar Church consistently downgrades the reality and gravity of mortal sin, the benefits of confessing venial sins, the graces to be obtained from frequent confession, and the necessity of doing penance.

sspx.org/Catholic_FAQs/post-conciliar_church_a_new_religion.htm

Consequently, if the New Mass is the expression of a new religion, it is because it obliterates the true, sacrificial function of the hierarchical priesthood, submerging it as a part of a community celebration.

• and

[left]It consequently cannot be denied that Vatican II attempts to constitute a new religion in radical rupture with all of Catholic Tradition and teaching, a new religion whose principal purpose is to exalt the natural dignity of the human person and to bring about a “religious” unity of mankind.

and

[left]This new religion has been swallowed down unwittingly by many Catholics precisely because it hides, as a caricature, behind the outward appearance of Catholicism. The end result is a strange mixture of Catholicism and the new religion.

and

*This is the reason for which we have every right to condemn the post-Conciliar revolution for the new religion that it is, while at the same time we must respect the offices and functions of those who hold positions in the Church.

I’ll be waiting for that “thinking adjustment.”*
*[/left]

[/left]

YOU WIN THAT ONE.!
THANKS
IF YOU ATTACK A RITE PROMULGATED BY THE CHURCH, YOU CANNOT AVOID AN ATTACK ON HER.
As far as I can see in that site, they are essentially sede-V but denying the title. They ought to just admit it and then their position would not have this contradiction.

-If what you posted is indeed the doctrinal teaching of the SSPX, then shame on them.

I believe that the NOM invites abuse far more than the TLM, but that does mean it is in itself an improper rite.

[quote=tcraig]Please don’t forget that Rome has said that faithful Catholics who are attached to the TLM may satisfy their Sunday obligation at an SSPX chapel, if their reason for attending is love of the traditional mass as opposed to dissent from church authority…
[/quote]

This is not the thread for this, but I have serious doubts about this. It would counter Ecclesia Dei, which is Papal Authority. I remember it as a Msgr Perle private letter. But he can error, or it may only apply to a particular circumstance, but not a universal edict.
You may want to reply to this but I won’t go any further since it would really mess up the thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.