Which and WHY?

Dear friends in Christ,

Below is a passage from Acts 20: 28-30, from the Douay Catholic Bivle and then the King James bible.

Which is the correct understanding and why?

** Douay Catholic Bible **“Take heed to yourselves, and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. I know that, after my departure, ravening wolves will enter in among you, not sparing the flock. And of your own selves shall arise men speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

**** King James Bible Acts 20: 28- 30 ** “take heed therefore unto ourselves, and to all the flock over which the Holy Ghost **has made you **overseers, to feed the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood.” 29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock 30 Also of your own selves shall men arise , speaking perverse things , to draw away disciples after them.”

God Bless you,
Patrick

The Greek word used is episkopos.

“etheto episkopos poimaino” - ordained (put/set/appoint) you bishops to rule (or govern)

I’m no Greek scholar, but this is the way I read it.

:twocents:

In Strong’s Concordance, that Greek word is translated in the NT as; overseers (once), bishop (three times) and guardian (once).

why? I think copyright infringement fear makes the translators look into their thesauruses to come up with lawyer-proof translations.

Thou shalt not infringe copyright is the 11th commandment.

They’re both right. The Greek word ἐπίσκοπος (episkopos), from which English ultimately derived the word Bishop from, quite literally means “Overseer” or “Supervisor”.

ἐπί (epi, “upon,over, above”) + σκοπός (skopos, “watcher, lookout, guardian”)

It’s the same reason sometimes some Bible translations use the word *elder *rather than priest. The word derives from Greek πρεσβύτερος (presbuteros) which literally means “elder”.

I don’t think the KJV translators were afraid of Catholics claiming copyright infringement. Translators may pay attention to such things now, but I don’t think it was a concern in that case.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.