Which Bible(s) ya got?

I would post a poll, but it allows only ten choices. :stuck_out_tongue:

I got Good News Bible in Today’s English Version from Sunday School. It’s more of a paraphrase than I translation. It’s notable for including both the Hebrew and Greek versions of Esther, separately, as well as the various additions to the Greek texts of other books. It also includes the books that are in the Orthodox canon. I don’t read it much, though, because it’s physical, and that would involve me having to walk over and pick it up.

When I do feel like reading the Bible, it’s the New American Standard Bible, because of all of the footnotes.

However, one that I’ve been looking into recently is The Unvarnished New Testament. The translator, Andy Gaus, disregards tradition and translates the original Greek directly into modern English. It’s quite fascinating.

Fascinating since much of the “original Greek” is untranslatable directly into English, and other portions can have several valid translations depending upon the translator’s preference. In other words, he’s full of baloney.

I have most of the major modern English translations in either print or electronic format.

I haven’t heard of the Unvarnished NT before, though. I am very hesitant regarding any Bible translation that is the work of one person. It’s way too easy for bias to creep in when it’s just one guy rather than a team. Maybe the guy is brilliant and a phenomenal Greek scholar. But it’s still just one guy.

And, as Deacon Jeff said, the Greek doesn’t translate directly into English (anymore than any language translates directly into another language). Whenever you are translating, there are going to be judgment calls on whether the author meant one definition of the word or another. A team at least ostensibly has to come to some sort of consensus, which helps to minimize any one person’s point of view from dominating.

The translator acknowledges a person that “combed through this translation meticulously, fine-tuning its accuracy while he polished its good judgment”. He acknowledges the
give-and-take in translating and decided to translate it in a way that it would mean the same to us as it meant to a Greek-speaker back then. He decided sentences were more important than words, and paragraphs were more important than sentences. Both his Acknowledgements and the Introduction by his checker provide more insight into this. They can be read for free in the preview of the Kindle Edition on Amazon - as well as about the first ten chapters of The Good Word According to Matthew.

Oh, I also have (or at least had; not sure if I still have it) one of those small, green-covered books that people sometimes hand out, which contains the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs. Not sure which translation.

Well, sure, even a book with one author has help from others. But I think that type of help is different from what happens with other translations.

You say he “decided to translate it in a way that it would mean the same to us as it meant to a Greek-speaker back then.” This is the type of presumption that makes me wary of such translations.

This presumes that the translator knows what every word, sentence and paragraph of the entire New Testament meant to the original, 1st century audience (with different authors writing in different styles to different audiences). That’s a pretty big presumption. No matter how educated he is, he’s not going to know these things in a way that is 100% without question.

I’m not trying to be unduly harsh to this particular translation. :o I’m just pointing out that these things would make me wary of ascribing too much weight to it.

I have the following bibles:

catholic youth bible st marys press

amazon.com/Catholic-Youth-Bible-Third-NABRE/dp/1599821419/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500323862&sr=8-1&keywords=catholic+youth+bible

rsv ignatius press bible

amazon.com/Catholic-Bible-RSV-Ignatius-Press/dp/0898708346/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Douay-Rheims Bible bishop challoner
NAB st joseph edition

Have some others that I don’t really use anymore. I want to add more like a good version of the Septuagint and I heard the rsv Ignatius study bible is good with scott hahn

I have an ESV thinline, an ESV study Bible, a NRSV with apocrypha, a NKJV and a KJV on my phone.

I have:

1. and 2) NAB - a fireside edition, and my confirmation gift (parish edition)
  2. NIV - from my Evangelical days
  3. NASB - A gift for my Evangelical baptism
  4. recovery edition NT - Giveaway on campus. even the Evangelicals hate it.
  5. Scotus Bible - epub (chinese)

Unofficial collector/accumulator, regular reader.
Douay-Rheims
Knox Translation
Douay-Confraternity
Jerusalem Bible
New Jerusalem Bible
Catholic Living Bible
New American Bible
NAB/RE
RSV-2CE
La Biblia Latinoamerica
RSV Oxford Annotated w/Deuterocanon
Revised English Bible w/Deuterocanon
Revised English Bible Oxford Study w/Deuterocanon
New Revised Standard Version w/Deuterocanon
NASB
NIV
King James Versions: 1845, 1880s, 1936 (Bible as Literature Edition), various others
New King James Version, Scofield Edition

New Testament

Confraternity 1941
RSV-2CE
Revised English Bible New Testament w/Deuterocanon
KJV

New American. Used it for high school Bible study, college theology, and personal reading.

Douay-Rheims (2 copies)
Confraternity Bible (full edition and stand-alone NT)
Knox Bible (S&W student edition and Baronius Press edition)
Jerusalem Bible compact reader’s edition
RSV-CE via EWTN app
New Jerusalem Bible via app
New American Bible 1970 ed (via wife)
RSV 2nd Ed (NT/Psalms, original version, ICSB NT, Lighthouse app, and Didache bible)
NABRE (Little Rock Study Bible and a gift edition my daughter has)

The last time the JWs came to the house, it was funny. My wife answered the door and they asked if we had a Bible in the house. She said we have about a dozen different Catholic ones. They promptly left - I don’t think we were the house they were looking for.

Of course, I’m currently verboten from bringing any more in - she thinks we have enough now.

[quote=tvknight415]Of course, I’m currently verboten from bringing any more in - she thinks we have enough now.
[/quote]

Seems harsh! :smiley:

Let’s see, I have in chronological order, more or less,

1632-35 Rouen Cousturier 4to illustrated 3 volume of the D/R
1750-52 12mo 5 volume Challoner D/R
1797 12mo Moir NT D/R
1810-12 Sower (Baltimore) pocket Bible KJV
1824 Cummiskey (Philadelphia) 8vo D/R
1825 Cummiskey Illustrated Grand Folio D/R
1829 Devereux (Utica NY) 12mo NT D/R
1832 Fielding Lucas Jr. (Baltimore) 4to illustrated D/R
1833 Doyle (NY,NY) 8vo D/R
1837 Fielding Lucas Jr. 12mo D/R (Provincial Council Bible)
1840 McIntyre Simms (Belfast Ireland) pocket Bible D/R
1852-55 Dunigan (NY,NY) 4to illustrated unabridged Haydock D/R
1870 Shea (NY,NY) 4to heavily illustrated D/R
1871 Sadlier (NY,NY) 32mo pocket Bible D/R
1878 Virtue (London) 2 volume 4to illustrated Haydock-Oakeley D/R
1878 Virtue (London) 14 parts in wraps (as issued) Haydock-Oakeley D/R
1910 Virtue (London) 4to illlustrated Haydock-Oakeley D/R
1941 St. Anthony (NJ) 8vo Confraternity NT
1944 Sheed & Ward (NY, NY) 8vo Knox NT
1946-1948 Burns & Oates (London) 8vo Knox Bible
1950 Kennedy (NY,NY) 8vo Douay/Confraternity Bible
1956 CTS (London) pocket bible D/R
1966 Doubleday (Garden City,NY) 8vo, Jerusalem Bible
1966 CTS (London) 8vo paperback, RSV-CE
1970 Nelson (NY,NY) 4to family Bible NAB
1977 Tyndale (IL) 8vo paperback The Way-CE
1980 (KY) 4to 3 volume reprint of 1582 NT & 1635 OT
2004 Oxford Press (NY) compact hardback Bible RSV-CE
2007 CTS (London) pocket Bible NCB-Grail Psalms
2008 Four Courts Press (Dublin) 4to Navarre Study NT
2010 Ignatius Press (San Francisco) 4to RSV-2CE Study NT
2011 Oxford Press (NY) Royal 8vo Personal Study Bible NABRE
2014 Loreto Press (NH) 4to unabridged Haydock Bible reprint
2015 Baronius Press (London) compact illustrated D/R (reprint of 1899 Murphy Bible)

Of course this doesn’t include Bible commentary sets!

Only 1 KJV, all the rest Catholic. :slight_smile:

So far the Mrs. (who has her own Bible which is not counted above) has not seen a problem! :wink:

[LIST]
*]KJV
*]NRSV CE
*]Didache Bible - NABRE
*]Navarre Bible (RSV; all volumes)
*]1953 Confraternity Bible (Confraternity - Douay OT and Confraternity NT)
*]Quest Bible (NIV) (this was given to my now Catholic wife when she was Baptist)
*]Jewish Annotated New Testament (NRSV, NT only)
[/LIST]

I’d like to get a no-commentary Ignatius Bible (RSV-2CE) for simplicity and the complete Ignatius Catholic Study Bible once released, along with Oxford’s Orthodox Study Bible when able. Haydock’s Bible is something I’d like as well. I think I’d also like an ESV at some point, though I doubt that will get a Catholic Edition anytime soon.

I also have Aquinas’ Catena Aurea (Gospel commentary), and a few other NT single-book commentaries.

Now I just need to finish reading them all!

Ok, you win!

Oh, I love the Unvarnished New Testament, too! It’s one that I sometimes recommend to people because of it’s readability, and because I think Andy Gaus did a superb job on it. Actually, you’re the only other person I’ve ever heard mention it. It’s really not as well known as it deserves to be, in my opinion.

As far as complete Bibles go, I have two Douay-Rheims, one which belonged to my mother as a girl, and I have one Ronald Knox translation. Really though, aside from Psalms, I don’t read the Old Testament too often. I’ve only read it once all the way through beginning to end, and then I’ve randomly read individual books within it in a very haphazard and order-free way from an early age. Ninety-five plus percent of the time I read the New Testament, and so I have a number of different editions of that. I have four different Ronald Know New Testaments: one bound in leather from the forties, one bound in flexible cloth from the forties, and two different hardcovers from the forties and early fifties, both of which are totally beautiful. The British seem to do a particularly nice job when it comes to publishing Bibles, but maybe I’ve just been lucky finding what I have.

[quote=Exiled Child]I have four different Ronald Know New Testaments: one bound in leather from the forties, one bound in flexible cloth from the forties, and two different hardcovers from the forties and early fifties, both of which are totally beautiful. The British seem to do a particularly nice job when it comes to publishing Bibles, but maybe I’ve just been lucky finding what I have.
[/quote]

I find that very interesting, seeing as how the first editions of the Knox Bible didn’t come out until after the war! I wonder if the leather bound ones are custom bound, or if they were issued that way from the publisher?

You are right about the British Bibles though. I think the British reader expects a higher caliber of production than the US reader. I think this has always been true, going back to Colonial times. Plus, the book arts are just highly developed in England, whereas in the US we strive to equal their quality but always with an eye toward lowest possible cost. But that’s just my opinion, for what it’s worth. :wink: IOW, in England, a sumptuous Bible will be produced and actually sell out, whereas in the US, it will be admired, but considered too expensive, and thus languish. For example, in 1825 the first and only grand folio Catholic Bible was printed in Philadelphia. It was very costly, and its quality was very close to the London edition of 1811-14. However it languished in the warehouse till beyond the 1870’s!!

NJB

Douay-Rheims, New Jerusalem, NAB ce, King James, New King James Study Bible, RSVCE.
I wish there were Catholic Study Bibles as in depth and feature loaded as our Protestant brethern have. The Ignatius is getting close, probably do to the efforts of Scott Hahn, converted Protestant. Iwould gladly fork out money for a Catholic Study Bible that had the historical and cultural notes that my protestant study Bible does, and also incorporated the teachings of the various Councils and Papal documents showing the synthesis between Sacred Scripture, Holy Tradition and the fullness of magesterial teaching.

Do not look for a Catholic ESV. The organization behind that Bible is staunchly Calvinist. Sad, because the study Bible they did was outstanding for content, but dripped Calvinist theology. It is also based on the ASV root texts. I prefer Vulgate or KJV based Bibles.

Whoa! Ambrose, your collection looks amazing! I didn’t see that list on page one till just now. So that one from the sixteen hundreds labelled “D/R” is a Douay-Rheims? Which I guess by definition means is in English? Gosh, I would love to have a Bible that old! Any chance you could post a photo of it? It’s okay if you’re not set up for posting original photos online. I’m not, personally, or I’d post photos of the New Testaments I mentioned. And I guess you were referring to the complete Old and New Testament Knox translation as being postwar? Because I have a few of them on my lap as I type, and the oldest one I have is published by Sheed & Ward, and has “New York, February 10, 1944” written on the copyright page. I’m fairly certain this is the first American edition, and it’s actually my favorite of them all. It has plain, stark black cloth boards with a nice texture, and “The New Testament in English :diamonds:︎ Msgr. R.A. Knox” and “Sheed & Ward” in gilt letters on the spine. Mine doesn’t have a dustjacket, but I would guess that it probably came with one. But I like that it’s so plain and nondescript looking, and it has a nice sturdy feel to it, being a bit heavier than one would expect owing to the wonderful paper it’s printed on. There’s no bleed-through at all, and it’s really easy on my eyes to read. Plus, it’s all in a single column format, which I very much prefer. So at least the American edition of the New Testament came out during the war. The leather one though, which I also have in front of me, is listed as December 1945, and it was published in London by Burns, Oates and Washbourne, Ltd “Publishers to the Holy See”. So that one came out a few months after the war ended. And it certainly looks to me like it came from the publisher leather bound, because it’s in fantastic shape, as though someone bought it and then just stuck it on a shelf. The leather’s black and so are the endpapers, and it all matches the traces of fabric that are visible at the edge of the spine. Sorry, I don’t know the actual name for that part of the book that’s fabric in between the paper and the spine itself, but it’s all too perfect to be custom made I think. Maybe I’m mistaken, but I just have the sense that it was issued that way. It’s about the size of a standard mass market paperback, the type you would see at the end of a grocery store checkout lane, standard genre fiction size. The complete Knox Bible I have is the one published by Baronius, with a black hardcover. I like it a lot, but if they ever come out with the exact same Bible in that flexible burgundy cover their Douay-Rheims are offered in, I think I might pick up a copy. I’m guessing Baronius probably hears stuff like that all the time, so I won’t bug them. I’ll just wait and see if it ever happens.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.