Which Bible should I buy?

Hi everyone!
I have several bibles already, but they’re all Protestant bibles (66 books edition) all written in Norwegian.
I’m thinking of buying myself a Catholic Bible as I now have a Catholic faith and it has to be written in English as there are no 73 book bibles written in Norwegian.
My question is, between these bibles who are the best in your opinion? the New Catholic Bible, Douay-Rheims or the New Jerusalem Bible?

Thanks in advance for any answers I may receive.

• Yours in Christ
    MarianCatholic

The New Catholic Bible is very good - especially the latest version. Do you have the Knox Bible available? That is an excellent, 100% Catholic translation in very readable modern English (if English is ever very readable, that is). The Douay-Rheims is excellent, but one must also know the older language. As to the Jerusalem Bible, the CTS “New Catholic Bible” is essentially the Jerusalem Bible in modern English.

There are many previous posts on this question.
All the carrots editions have their defenders and detractors.
I have my own favourite versions.
There are a few questions to consider:

1. Modern or archaic language? If you dislike a bible tankard into a form of English based on a language that was already obsolete in the time of Shakespeare then n you may like the old Douay Rimes
  2. a more modern but well respected version is the RSV-CE published by Ignatius Press.
    They have a study Bible in development based on the RIVER which is excellent but the full version is not yet in print. The NT and some parts of the O2 are available with commentary. The whole text is available without commentary. Many USA readers also recommend the Co fraternity edition. They keep some archaic language. Esp. In the OT.
  3. in the USA The NABRE is the version which the readings at mass are based. There’s very strong debate about its merits and weaknesses.
  4. The NRSV-CE is well liked by many and used for the lectionary in Canada. But it uses far too much"inclusive language" at serious cost to its theological integrity
  5. The Jerusalem Bible is used in most English Speaking countries as the basis of the lectionary. Not the best translation but far from the worst. The Catholic Truth Society (CTS) do an edition based on the that Lectionary.
  6. I love the Christian Community Bible and love its commentary.

My personal choice is the CCB plus the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible.

NAB

RSV-CE
Ignatius Press

Just my 2 cents
Peace to you!

Adding my :two cents:

What do you plan to do with it?

I ask because I used to work in a bible book store and I found that this question was useful to many customers.

If you are planning to read and study, mostly at home, and when the bible is not in use it will stand upright on a shelf, you want a hardcover. They are not as pretty, most of the time, but they are usually quite a bit cheaper.

If you are going to carry it around, perhaps in a bible case, tossing it on the car seat, leaving it on the table, desk, stairs, &c, then you will want to invest in the more expensive leather-bound edition.

If you are giving it as a commemorative gift, say, to a teen graduating high school, the less expensive, “leather-like” editions work just fine.

Another litmus test I developed was to take one or two scriptures you are familiar with and check out how they read in the various translations.
Suggested citations:
Numbers 6:24-26
Psalm 1
Luke 2
John 6:56

My favorite translation is the Knox Bible, its wonderful!

New Advent.com uses that translation on its Bible page.

God bless!

RSV-2CE, also known as the Ignatius Bible.

The Douay-Rheims is easily my favorite of those three. It’s language is very archaic, though (for example, “thinkest thou not” instead of “you don’t think”). However, overall, my list goes somewhat like this:

1.RSV-2CE/RSV-CE

1. Knox Bible

2. Confraternity Edition

3. Douay-Rheims

4. New American Bible (avoid the footnotes of this one at all costs, they’re awful).

Note: The OP is in Norway.

Somewhat surprisingly, since 2009, the apostolic Churches: Catholicism (+111%) and Orthodoxy (+69%) are growing significantly in Norway. This can only be a good sign. Islam is also growing at 30%, but substantially due to immigration. Still, there are as many Muslims in Norway as there are Catholics, even if the growth rate is about 1/4 of that for Catholics.

Thanks for all replies:)
I’m mainly looking for a bible with a modern language as English isn’t my native language.
So the older variations/ translations may be a bit heavy to read for me.

Yes the church has has grown a lot for the last couple of years in Norway, but its mainly due to immigration. 50 per cent of all Catholics in Norway are Polish and the other half is like 20 per cent from the Phillipinnes and 20 per cent Vietnamize and other immigrants.
So I guess only 10 per cent or even fewer are Norwegians by birth, but hopefully more people will convert in the future:)

I myself are born Norwegian and was raised in a Protestant home until I decided to become Catholic.

It’s the same thing when it comes to the Orthodox in my country.
Almost every orthodox in Norway come from Russia or East Europe, For Norwegians to convert to a Orthodox faith is almost as rare as someone becoming Jewish by faith.

And of course the Muslims are immigrants aswell.

Hopefully will more Lutherans convert to the Catholic faith as their Church are increasingly becoming more and more secular day by day.

With more Norwegian Catholics we would have had our own Bible translation, hopefully it will become a reality some day:)

• Peace in Mary and Christ

If Old English isn’t your thing, stay away from the Douay-Rheims, and go with the New Catholic Bible.

I agree!

Of the choices you listed, especially if English isn’t a native language, I would go with the CTS New Catholic Edition, although I would rate the Douay-Rheims higher in a ‘best Bible’ list. The English will be far easier to follow and understand in the CTS (which is based on the original Jerusalem Bible of 1966).

There are 2 translations explicitly intended to be “easy to read”

1. The “Good News Bible - catholic edition” - I believe that is also sold as the “New Catholic Bible” and under various other titles and various publishers.

2. The Christian Community Bible is availble via Amazon.co.uk and various other UK retailers. It is a translation by a 100% Catholic team, led by priests and religious. The commentary is derived from the sermons of the priest who started to project. It is explicitly and deliberately translated to be for people who’s 1st language is not english.
    It is hard to get hold of in the USA. It’s published in the Philippines by the Claritans.

It’s available in pdf or word format as a free download from their website, and new for 2014 it’s available as a Kindle book from amazon for £4.44 (€5.31)

Hard cover is £12.99 (€15.86)

Imitation leather is £14.99 (€18.31)

Take a look here: ccbpastoralbible.wordpress.com/
and download here: ccbpastoralbible.wordpress.com/online-bible/english-version/

There are paper cover editions available from €10 if you can find a seller

I have 4 or 5 copies of the “Pocket Edition” available to sell, for £6 but the P&P to Norway would probably be prohibitive compared to buying from Amazon or another UK or Ireland based online retailer.

The UK importer & distributer is Redemptorist Publications, but watch out, I found they sent me incorrect sizes (there are 3 print sizes availble plus a luxury leather version of the middle size. the small and medium come in various binding types)

I bought myself The CTS New Catholic Bible today:)
It seems to be alright to read as far as the language concerns.
Thanks for all input everyone:)
When I visited the Catholic book store today the lady working there told me that in 2015 there would probably be a Catholic Bible written in Norwegian as they are currently working on it:)

Thanks again for all replies:)

• Pax Christi

A lot of posters don’t like the NAB, but I have one and love mine. It was recommended by a friend.

It’s not the translation itself, but the footnotes. Some of them are literally heretical.

Any version of the RSV is excellent.

If you are interested in the original text, I suggest the Nestle-Aland Greek/English RSV edition (New Testament).

ooo yes. We used the Aland text for learning Koine Greek. It’s wonderful.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.