Which Bible Translation is used in Missals

I went to my first 1962 Mass today after I got a 1962 Missal from Angelus Press. When the readings were re-read in English at the Homily, I noticed the translation was a little different. Do different Missals use different English translations?

I have an Angelus Missal, but don’t know what was being used. It’s an FSSP service, and I thought I read somewhere that they are associated with Baronius Press, so maybe they are using it?

The Baronius Press Missal was made w/ FSSP’s help but isn’t owned by them. Angelus is owned by SPPX.

Just wanted to give you that information.

As for the translations - I dunno.

Catholig

It’s been my experience that since the re-reading of the lesson and Gospel in the vernacular isn’t exactly part of the Mass proper, but rather a custom, there isn’t really a standardized version used. I’ve heard anything from the NAB to the Douay Rheims to whatever was in the altar boy’s hand missal.

So does that mean that there is no English in the priest’s missal, just Latin? Would the priest need to take a Bible to the pulpit to read the epistle and gospel in English?

Both the Baronius Press and Angelus Press Missals are based on the Marian Missal, which itself uses the Douay-Rheims Bible for the readings.

Other missals use other translations. As far as I know, there was no official English translation until the issuance of the 1965 Missal, which had “you and your”, not “thee and thou” English.

The Douay Rheims is used in both the Baronius and Angelus Missals. The Baronius Missal is based more on the Daily Missal and Liturgical Manual while the Angelus Missal on the Ideal Missal, but since Sylvester P. Juergens, SM, STD compiled both of the originals, both of the Baronius and Angelus Missals have very similar features. And yes Baronius Missal is linked with the FSSP.

In terms of other English translations, one would encounter such in antique missals and reprints of such. The St Andrew’s Missal from what I know uses its own and the St Joseph’s and St Pius X Daily Missal from Catholic Books Publishing Co. use the Confraternity Bible. I am not sure about old British Missals, but from the 1950s I think the Msgr Knox Bible was used.

The Latin Vulgate or Douay-Rheims version of the Bible.
I believe prior to Vatican II they uesd those Bible version in the Traditional Missal, so the 1962 version of the Mass uses it…
or may be it uses the Confraternity version.

Pax

Instaurare omnia in Christo

Is there any English in the priest’s missal, or does he use a Bible when he reads the epistle and gospel in English?

In the Altar Missals there is no English, so usually its read from a hand missal with imprimatur.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

But I’m pretty sure it has to be an approved translation, that the priest isn’t allowed to do an on-the-fly translation. This rule protects against the possibility of a mistranslation coming across as material heresy… all it takes is a word or two to be off.

Hence the need to read from a hand missal with Imprimatur. Having an Imprimatur is a form of Ecclesiastical approval.

Is anyone familiar with the recently reprinted Spanish Misal completo latino-español by Valentín M Sánchez Ruiz, S.J.? Which translation does it use? Thanks

Either in the past and now priests read the Gospel from their (usually bilingual) hand-missal. This is necessary because some words may be added to the Bible, and e.g. the Lesson for today (05-16 St Ubaldi = Statuit ei Mass) is from the Ecclesiaticus, but a selection of sentence parts from a much longer text (Eccli 44:16-45-20)

As for the original question before 1940 the Duoay Rhems was used obligarotily; later the editor used whatever approved translation as he liked.

Even this isn’t necessary. Last Sunday our EF priest skipped the vernacular reading and spent much of his sermon on explaining the Epistle and Gospel. I felt this was more informative as the connection between the Epistle and Gospel isn’t always obvious to the average churchgoer, even with approved translations.

[quote="ProVobis, post:15, topic:80575"]
Even this isn't necessary. Last Sunday our EF priest skipped the vernacular reading and spent much of his sermon on explaining the Epistle and Gospel. I felt this was more informative as the connection between the Epistle and Gospel isn't always obvious to the average churchgoer, even with approved translations.

[/quote]

Until about 1900 this was the rule. There was no Scriptural reading in vernacular at all, only the sermon. If it was homily, the priest explained it by his own word. Even in my time only the Gospel was read by the priest in vernacular.

Here is from the ritus servandus of the 1920 Missal

6 Si autem sit prædicandum, Contionator,
finito Evangelio, proedicet, et sermone,
sive contione expleto, dicatur Credo, vel, si
non sit dicendum, cantetur Offertorium.

If there is sermon or addressing of the assembly,
let it be after the (Latin) Gospel, and the
end of it let the Creed or immediatelly
the Offertory verse said, if there is no Creed.

Not a single word about vernacular Gospel reading

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.