Which Bible translations does the Pope use?

:smiley: Pope Benedict XVI is the first pope to own an iPod. :thumbsup:
COOOL:D

I would guess NAB…but maybe that is just me :popcorn:

Oh sure…but John Paul II had Bono’s sunglasses. :slight_smile: :cool:

What about the bible in other languages?

Do the Germans do a better job of translating the scriptures into German than English speakers do at translating the bible into English?

What about other languages?

Is there a RSV or Douay Rheims or Jerusalem Bible in Spainish or German or Italian or do they have other translations that are better?

In other words are all the translations the same–just in different languages–or are other translations in other languages DIFFERENT in content beyond the differences in language?

I’ve hard that there is a Third edition of the Jerusame bible in French.

does anyone know how it differes from the New Jerusalem bible in 1985–I heard that it has recently been completed.

Does anyone know if that Third edition will ever be available in English?

// yes the jerusalem bible is available in castillian (for years) and the current is the third edition…you can check the editor/publisher of the castillian version at www.edesclee.com

// yes there is a castillian version of the latin vulgate translated by felix torres amat and it is a literal translation…you can check the publisher (for u.s.a) stampley at www.stampley.com

well, I think the pope for most of his pronouncement probably uses the Nova Vulgate, unless he needs to address a particular part in Hebrew or Greek. Though I do support the idea of the papal secret bible that has super secret stuff as mention and that Elvis is truly the king (because in hebrew Elvis’ is only one brushstroke away from spelling elohim, hehe.)

Also, I believe the New Jerusalem Bible was a complete new translation that was independent of the French translation of its predecessor. The differences between editions most of the time comes from scholarship, we may find an older scroll or something like that has a different spelling, and to update some of the collequism in it, for example sadly today not many youth would know what a fortnight is or something like that, so the editors due things to make it more accesible to the average person, so education today is more interesting in teaching things beside reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Now, in terms of other translations and which is best, it is probably based on the language. Language is an interesting thing because some expressions do not have equivalent in other languages and similar expression do not express the full meaning of the saying. Semitic languages as I have studied Arabic in the past are exceptionally difficult for the most part compared to a mechanical language like German, or an expressive language like Greek that I have studied as well. Really to be honest, I think English is probably one of the best language to translate Hebrew to, but bad for Greek, and that is mostly because ancient Hebrew had a more limited vocabulary and not as fluid as Greek.

Since he is multi-lingual I would imagine many of other languages. Since he is a German native, one would think maybe a German translation. Since he is Pope and one who recommends the use of Latin, I would think the Latin Vulgate. Since his English writings (both pre- and post- papacy) use the RSV-CE, one might guess that he uses that one (although that may simply be the easiest translation to use by translators). :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.