Which book do you like LEAST!

• City of God
  • Confessions
  • Divine Mercy
  • Story of a Soul

0 voters

They’re all good as far as I know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very strange poll. They are all wonderful Catholic classics, written by saints.
What’s the point of this thread?

5 Likes

Just to see, with us Catholic bookworms, if there’s a least favorite. It’s not something that’s meant to be controversial. Just to see if people had an opinion about the listed four works, that I have read,

The Confessions is a bit more difficult to read since the writings style is a bit hard for me to understand. I have not read the City of God yet so I cannot say anything about it. But I do really like all them.

They’re pretty different in style and tone.

And at different points in my life, I appreciate different topics and styles more or less because of my life experience and maturity.

I can’t express a least favorite. Today’s favorite may drop to the bottom of the list tomorrow, and the least may rise to the top. :smile:

I do not know, I just voted.

City of God by Augustine, or Mystical City of God by Agreda?

Out of the great classics, I think the hardest one I tried wrapping my mind around was The Dialogue by Catherine of Sienna. It would seem like she was arguing in favor of one thing at one point, and then a few pages later, it seemed like she was arguing in favor of the exact opposite philosophy. I had to put it down, because it was way over my head. I really need to find a good reading aide to help me tackle that one, and give it another go. But it’s not a problem with the author’s shortcomings-- it’s definitely a problem with the reader’s shortcomings. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did God actually speak those words to St. Catherine, or is she using the “conversation” as a literary device?

Her book helped me get over the hesitation of Marian devotion before converting…

1 Like

I didn’t get that far into it to worry about the literal vs literary device part. I can’t even remember what I was so confused about. :slight_smile: I just remember that impression of, “Wait a minute, I don’t get it; I thought you were saying the opposite…”

I thought she was very literate and intelligent, and far more sophisticated in her understanding of things than I can ever hope to be. :heartbeat:

I was told - all Popes - were required to read City of God.
I did. Twice in 15 years.
Didn’t care for it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.