Which came first: Adam and Eve, or the dinosaurs?

I was recently asked by a skeptical high school student this question and I’m not sure how to answer it:

“Which came first: Adam and Eve, or the dinosaurs?”

My thought was that the dinosaurs came first because God created the animals first. Since we don’t believe in a strict interpretation of the creation story in Genesis, could the dinosaurs simply be part of God-controlled evolution and earth setting up? What could I say to explain why the dinosaurs even existed?

I don’t want to give a faulty answer so I was hoping I could get some input.

Science tells us that dinosaurs predated human beings by tens of millions of years. Dinosaurs died out about 65 million years ago while modern man first walked the earth about 200,000 years ago. So, obviously, dinosaurs came first and became extinct long before Adam and Eve were created.

In addition to the resources linked below, I also recommend “Aquinas vs. Intelligent Design” by Michael W. Tkacz, an article appearing in the November 2008 issue of Catholic Answers magazine This Rock. You can obtain a copy by calling Catholic Answers’ customer service department toll-free at 888-291-8000. Business hours are Monday thru Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time.

Recommended reading:

Why did God create dinosaurs?
How do I fight Darwinism?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.