Which Catholic books are safe to read?

How do I know which Catholic books are safe to read?

The Church used to give an Imprimatur and or a Nihil Obstat, etc. This usually was a good indication that a book was okay to read. Some books (new ones) still have these, but they are no longer required.

So how do I know which books are safe to read? I don’t want to read anything that could compromise my faith without my even knowing it.

There are so many books, and authors as well as publishers, that its hard to keep up on it all and sift through the junk. I’ve even read reviews where one Catholic I trust blasts a book by another author I trust. Its things like that that are confusing me.

You can still look for the Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat. Remember that these seals simply mean that the book is free from error.

Come on, is it so easy to compromise your faith in that case? :wink:
So maybe start with building strong foundation, read Catechism, Bible, esp. New Testament - especially with some good commentary, after all, faith comes from listening to the Word of God (- Rom 10:17) and the books by the Saints - especially those who have been declared the doctors of the Church (Augustine, Theresa of Avila, Catherine of Sienna, John of Cross, Faustina Kowalska, Theresa Lesiux - to name a few.)

On the other hand, do not go too much into private revelations that have not been approved officially by Church.

That should keep you safe.

I dunno but I’m guessing you must be a man…paying attention only half the quote & question :rolleyes: :wink: …(Sorry I couldn’t resist to pick on you:p ) I believe the question is in relation to current authors and books…there are many confused catholics out here. I know for me many of the older books are hard for me to understand with the exception of St Louis De Monefort, The Cures of Ares…I need to keep my faith simple and straightforward;otherwise I puff up like a peacock…did you ever hear a peakcock’s cry…it is so annoying. That’s how I get…I think its starting to happen to me right now:hmmm: Have a good day!:smiley:

I kept part of the quote just to keep things simple :stuck_out_tongue:

If you need simplicity - the Diary of St Faustina’s (who btw, had only three years of schooling) will do just great for you!

But on a more serious note, what kind of issues do you find confusing? Just wondering… Well, another thing that might help you is reading the reviews?

Sigh. I know this isn’t the kind of answer you want to hear, but reading, and gathering information in general is NOT SAFE for your mindset. It isn’t supposed to be - it’s meant to make you think new thoughts, inspire you, take you new places you’ve never physically been, nor could ever be in some cases - and at it’s best, shake you to the core. It’s like walking out your front door - you could get run over by a bus or struck by a meteor, sure, but that is not a good reason to be agoraphobic!

The lack of safety, the serious contemplation, and yes, genuine doubt, is a huge part of what it means to be well-read, and to read well. Please don’t let any authority dictate what it is acceptable for you to be curious about! I think the great scholars of the Catholic Church would, cautiously but enthusiastically agree with me - and if they wouldn’t, ha! The more fool they. But, many of them were no fools, and immense, questioning polymaths.

And of course Nepthe is neither catholic, nor a believer at all per his profile. His approach is perfectly reasonable for his worldview.

But as catholics, we believe God DID give us BOTH an intellect and a revelation. Presumably, you’ve had an encounter with God that has convinced you of the above and you want to maximize your exposure to what He has revealed with your guard DOWN so that you can process the rest of life accurately with your guard UP.

Earlier posters had it great: Do a regular reading program in the Scriptures and the catechism in addition to whatever else you read. Read the first two sources in the attitude of a sponge. Read the rest as Nepethe suggests. It IS a big and wonderful world with lots to discover. And it is MOST joyful when you explore it with the tools and knowledge necessary for spiritual survival.

It’s the same way with the physical world: Nature is gorgeous and waiting to be experienced, but some knowledge, skills and decent gear will most assuredly increase your odds of survival out there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.