Which Catholic Orders or groups are named for places?

I read something recently that caused me to think of Catholic religious orders named for places. At first I thought of one and thought it must be the only one, then I remembered some more! It was an interesting hour of puzzling and Internet searching.

So, what say ye? Name a Catholic religious order or group (even in the most general sense) named after or even whose name alludes to a place.:)

[quote="Barzillai, post:1, topic:180403"]
I read something recently that caused me to think of Catholic religious orders named for places. At first I thought of one and thought it must be the only one, then I remembered some more! It was an interesting hour of puzzling and Internet searching.

So, what say ye? Name a Catholic religious order or group (even in the most general sense) named after or even whose name alludes to a place.:)

[/quote]

I'll start this off, others can join in.:bible1:

1 The Carmelites

Trappists, named after a monastery in Soligny-la-Trappe, France.

Carthusians for the Charter House or Chatreux

Camaldolese for Camaldoli

I'm not sure if we would consider the La Salette for our Lady of La Salette, La Salette being the place.

Sisters of Fatima

Sisters of Charity of Nevers (St. Bernadette's congregation)

All of the Sisters of St. Joseph are named after their home dioceses (I'm not sure if we count those named after their diocese) i.e. Baden Josephites

Here is an intereszting one. Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George. St. George is not the actual saint. They were named after the parish in which they were founded, St. George the Martyr Parish.

Maryknoll after Maryknoll NY

Greymore Franciscans after Greymore England.

Franciscan Brothers of Brooklyn or simply the Brooklyn Franciscans

Many diocesan congregations are named after the diocese, not the founder or some other name. I'm trying to recall a few of them. I just got one. Nashville Dominicans or Dominicans of St. Cecilia. Not named after St. Cecilia at all. St. Cecilia is the name of their motherhouse. But they were incorporated as the Nashville Dominican Sisters.

What about the ones who have combo names, do they count? Such as Franciscan Sisters of Philadelphia.

Or the Benedictines of Cluny or simply the Cluniac Benedictines.

OK, that's enough for tonight. My brain just ate itself up. LOL

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.