Which Commons to use for a Saint

When a saint falls into two categories, such as Bishop and Doctor, or Virgin and Martyr, etc., is there any preferred manner for choosing which Commons to use? Is there any kind of ranking of these categories?

Thanks and God bless!

No. I tend to chose Doctors when they come along since there aren’t many of them, and I like the antiphons and itnercessions of the Common of Virgins. Usually I see what Commons I’ve used for that month and select accordingly so if Pastors pops up a lot, I sometimes select Men Saints instead,

If you have an Ordo, that might prove to be most helpful. Remember, too, that there are some saints and blesseds who will be priest and martyr (Blessed Miguel Pro), pope and martyr (St. Clement I) and bishop and martyr. There is also a division between the propers. Those whose saints occur during the Easter Season will have a separate common assigned to them.

I think that the only ones who have very specific commons assigned to them are the Blessed Mother, St. Joseph, Sts. Peter and Paul, the other Apostles and the Archangels.

Since “Pastors” is a new commons, I’m assuming you’re talking OF here. Does the same variability, however, apply in the EF as well? I ask because I was wondering if my hand missal is imposing a choice of texts or if the choices were simply more regulated with that missal. For instance, I’ve never seen that hand missal assign a commons for confessors to a doctor.

For the Extra Ordinary Form of the Mass the Missale Romanum the priest uses on the altar determines which common to use.

benedictgal:

I think that the only ones who have very specific commons assigned to them are the Blessed Mother, St. Joseph, Sts. Peter and Paul, the other Apostles and the Archangels.

Don’t forget about St. John the Baptist! Though he still has two feasts (the solemnity of his birth/nativity and the memorial of his beheading), modern Latins seem to forget about this very important saint as he doesn’t show up in the day-to-day text of the liturgy of the OF as often as he does in the EF…(where he’s mentioned a few times every single mass…)

Thank you. The reason why I mentioned Sts. Peter and Paul was because they have Votive Masses assigned to them. I am not aware of any Votive Masses for St. John the Baptist.

Thanks for the help.

God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.