Which council put the Canon together?

I have read so many things.

I mean I have heard Council of Nicea in 325.

The earliest extant list of the books of the NT, in exactly the number and order in which we
presently have them, is written by St. Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, in his Festal letter # 39 of 367 A.D..

382 ad. Council of Rome at which Pope Damasus started the process of defining a universal canon for the Church. The New Testament books are listed in their present number and order.

393AD he Council of Hippo, which began "arguing it out." Canon proposed by St. Athanasius.

397AD The Council of Carthage, which refined the canon for the Western Church, sending it back to
Pope Innocent for ratification. In the East, the canonical process was hampered by a number of schisms (esp. within the Church of Antioch).

I guess there is no black and white answer with this. I am sure there is a true evolution of how it came to be. Anyone know how it truly came to be?

[quote="CatholicKnight3, post:1, topic:324351"]
I have read so many things.

I mean I have heard Council of Nicea in 325.

The earliest extant list of the books of the NT, in exactly the number and order in which we
presently have them, is written by St. Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, in his Festal letter # 39 of 367 A.D..

382 ad. Council of Rome at which Pope Damasus started the process of defining a universal canon for the Church. The New Testament books are listed in their present number and order.

393AD he Council of Hippo, which began "arguing it out." Canon proposed by St. Athanasius.

397AD The Council of Carthage, which refined the canon for the Western Church, sending it back to
Pope Innocent for ratification. In the East, the canonical process was hampered by a number of schisms (esp. within the Church of Antioch).

I guess there is no black and white answer with this. I am sure there is a true evolution of how it came to be. Anyone know how it truly came to be?

[/quote]

The root is the Council of Rome...from whence Pope Damasus commissions St. Jerome to translate the canon into Latin which became the Latin Vulgate...which was finished around late 390s, I think.

The LV became the Catholic Bible since....subsequent councils confirmed the canon set at Council of Rome.

Ditto council at Rome under Damasus. There is a certain continuity from that point forth, as echoed in Hippo and Carthage and on down the line from there. The best book, organized as a timeline with descriptions of each canonical list, is Gary Michuta's Why Catholic Bibles Are Bigger. Still the best Catholic Apologetic book of the century so far in my opinion!

Acepting the canon currently used by the Catholic Church was made mandatory at the Council of Trent. Prior to that it was up to the individual whether you accepted the deuterocanonicals as part of the Bible or not. Even at Trent there was a lot of disagreement.

The Canon of Scripture listed in Canon 27 of the Third Council of Carthage (A.D. 397) which was received by the Council of Trullo (A.D. 692) and ratified by 7th Ecumenical Council (A.D. 787).

Canon 24 (Greek 27)

That nothing be read in church besides the Canonical Scripture.

Item, that besides the Canonical Scriptures nothing be read in church under the name of divine Scripture. But the Canonical Scriptures are as follows:
Genesis.
Exodus.
Leviticus.
Numbers.
Deuteronomy.
Joshua the Son of Nun.
The Judges.
Ruth.
The Kings, 4 books [1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings].
The Chronicles, 2 books.
Job.
The Psalter.
The Five books of Solomon [Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, Sirach].
The Twelve Books of the Prophets [Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi].
Isaiah.
Jeremiah.
Ezechiel.
Daniel.
Tobit.
Judith.
Esther.
Ezra, 2 books [Ezra, Nehemiah].
Macchabees, 2 books.

The New Testament.
The Gospels, 4 books [Matthew, Mark, Luke, John].
The Acts of the Apostles, 1 book.
The Epistles of Paul, 14 [Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews]
The Epistles of Peter, the Apostle, 2.
The Epistles of John the Apostle, 3.
The Epistles of James the Apostle, 1.
The Epistle of Jude the Apostle, 1.
The Revelation of John, 1. book.

Let this be sent to our brother and fellow bishop, Boniface, and to the other bishops of those parts, that they may confirm this canon, for these are the things which we have received from our fathers to be read in church.

Source: ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.xv.iv.iv.xxv.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.