Which council...?

Which council (or ex cathedra statement) defined the lasting imprint of Holy Orders?

[quote=twiztedseraph]Which council (or ex cathedra statement) defined the lasting imprint of Holy Orders?
[/quote]

That would be the twenty-third session of the Council of Trent, namely Canon 4:

If anyone says that by sacred ordination the Holy Ghost is not imparted and that therefore the bishops say in vain: Receive ye the Holy Ghost, or that by it a character is not imprinted, or that he who has once been a priest can again become a layman, let him be anathema.

Thought as much, thank you :smiley: :smiley: BTW where’d you get your info?

[quote=twiztedseraph]Thought as much, thank you… BTW where’d you get your info?
[/quote]

I was pretty sure it was Trent (from a distant memory), so I Googled for it (I don’t recall my exact search term, though it included Trent) and I found the Canon on EWTN’s site.

[quote=twiztedseraph]Which council (or ex cathedra statement) defined the lasting imprint of Holy Orders?
[/quote]

The earliest Council to speak of the “printing on the soul of an indelible character” would be The Council of Florence, 1438-1445.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]The earliest Council to speak of the “printing on the soul of an indelible character” would be The Council of Florence, 1438-1445.
[/quote]

You are right. It was in the Bull Exultate Deo, Council of Florence, November 22, 1439 (Instruction of Eugene IV for the Armenians).

Very cool.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.