Which Doctrines Do All Protestants Agree Upon?

Not a trick question, here—when I say “All Protestants” I’m referring to all Protestants currectly versed in their particular denomination.

When I say “Agree Upon”, though, I mean “accept a common practical definition of and agree in all significant ways as to its implementation.”

You might say, for example, the Trinity, but if T.D. Jakes or some significant denomination under the Protestant umbrella does not hold to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in one person this would fail the test.

Significance will be an unavoidable question—with so many Protestant denominations one must note with charity that there are many tiny offshoots which do not rise to significant influence and should not count against the doctrinal unity which does exist.

There is one ironclad doctrine that every Protestant church, out of necessity, must agree upon. It is that the Catholic Church is wrong.

Depends on what constitutes a Protestant denomination. If you are lumping JW’s, Mormons and fringe groups in the mix, you’ll end up with no consensus apart from the existence of a creator.

Possibly: they most of them act that way, now.

But the C of E assumed a ton of rite ritual and doctrine from the RCC in the sixteenth century.

Where it is now is beyond me, but extra ecclesiam etc.

Nope—not looking to play there; just denominations which claim to be part of the Protestant tradition.

For example, the Pentecostals split from the Methodists split from the Anglicans, so I’d say Pentecostals viably claim to be Protestant.

We could start with the mainline Protestants and work out if that’s more productive.

Lutherans
Anglicans/Episcopalians
Presbyterians
Methodists
Baptists
Pentecostals

Any others that would be considered Protestant mainline churches?

True, but that’s not so much a doctrine held in common as an agreement that one or more Catholic doctrines are wrong.

I’d like to know what doctrines the various Protestant communities hold IN COMMON.

Hmm…if I were guessing I’d say that “Christ is God and he died for our sins” would be about it…

Chuck

Well I would say that any denomination who’s origins can be traced (even if several times removed) to those groups which originally broke away from the Catholic Church could legitimately be called Protestant. However, not every Protestant denomination is necessarily Christian. Groups like the JW’s, Mormons and once upon a time the SDA’s are/were technically pseudo-christian. As such it would not be fair to lump fellow Christians in with their less than orthodox cousins.

So I guess one could simply state that you would like to know if there is any universally agreed upon doctrine(s) amongst Protestant Christians.

As an aside one Protestant group that is difficult to place is the Apostolics they are Protestant and further they are pentecostal but they would also qualify as psuedo-christian as they hold to un-orthodox beliefs on the Trinity. So they’re Protestant AND they belong to an orthodox, Christian subset of the Protestant Christians but are themselves not Christian…

That group just confuses me. :o

I would venture to say the Apostle and Nicene Creeds:thumbsup:
The content in them:thumbsup: If you break them down there are many doctrines in them.
I would also say that when catholic is mentioned it is referred to as the universal church not the RCC.

Lets see what other protestants here think:thumbsup: Im interested as well.:smiley:

I agree with your comment.

It seems that many of the leading Protestant demoninations are imploding, and the atoms keep splitting.

Jesus knew what he was doing when he sent the Holy Spirit to be with his Church until the end of time. None of the major Denominations fail to say that the Holy Spirit is with their religion, keeping them holy and from error…

The ‘marks’ of Christ’s true church: “Credo…in unam, sanctam, catholicam Ecclesiam.”

peace
peace

None of the major Denominations fail to say that the Holy Spirit is with their religion, keeping them holy and from error…

OHHHH another one–probably because we believe the HS indwells individual believers and not a church heirarchy.:smiley:

He dwells in both. But different members of the Body have different functions and the Holy Spirit gives the appropriate charisms to the appropriate members–just like the soul animates all the members of a body to carry out their specific functions.

The God exists, and that Jesus had a special relationship to Him. The the Bible is our best source for the words of Jesus, which a sufficiently well-disposed reader can interpret to lead a good life. That collectively the local Christian community can also do this, and that some form of organisation is useful.

So, practically, all use the Bible as a text, all encourage members to read it (?), all have some type of formal organisation for worship.

Evangelicals?
Emerging Churchers?
United Churchers?

I think it would be more informative to change “Protestants” to something like “bible-believing Christians”, since so many of them do not consider themselves Protestant, even though in reality they do have their origins in Protestantism.

Yes, but then we lose the distinction between the emerging Bible churches and the historical Protestant communities.

I wouldn’t expect there to be much agreement among Bible churches, and in fairness that is not a real reflection of the mainline Protestant communities.

What is the distinction?

Well, since the heirarchy is people then I guess you could say both, but that still means the HS indwells individuals.

I wouldnt be able to say if all the heirarchy in the CC has the HS because I dont know their hearts.:shrug: I sure hope they do though:thumbsup:

Actually , I believe there would be the most doctrinal differences between mainline protestants and bible churches. I have been in both and many(NOT ALL)mainline churches are more liberal then bible churches. At least in my experience:shrug:

And, well, really what else is there? :wink:

:shrug:

(now Im gonna hide) :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.