Which DVDs are you watching this week?

A variation of What book are you reading. I’d like to get some reviews on some movies, whether it’s a new release or an oldie but a goodie that I may be overlooking at the video store.

Just finished:

Miss Potter - based on the story of Beatrix Potter. A nice little story that was very enjoyable. A wholesome movie. And can Ewan MacGregor be any cuter?

Ghost Rider - with Nicholas Cage. I am not really into the comic book movies, it had a bit more humor than I expected, but I really didn’t like it very much.

Because I Said So - with Diane Keaton and Mandy Moore. Yuck!

Breach - based on the capture of spy Robert Hansen. Even though you know the outcome, it was still quite thrilling.

We watched the new Charlotte’s Web with Dakota Fanning, cute show, my kids enjoyed it, I don’t know if my kids will ever eat bacon again though;)

Well, I am not watching a movie, rather, I am working my way through Revolution, the 13-part History Channel series on the American Revolution. This one was premiered last summer and is now available in a four DVD set. So far, I am enjoying the series a great deal.

I just purchased The Planet Earth series that aired on Discovery Channel earlier this year. It looked gorgeous from the bits that I saw on TV, so I got the whole thing on DVD.

My latest Netflix DVD arrived in the mail today–it was *No Man’s Land, *a movie about the war in Bosnia in which Serb and Croat soldiers get stuck in the same trench. I haven’t watched it yet. My last one was the third DVD of Babylon 5’s Season Two, containing some key episodes describing the beginning of the war against the Shadows. Good stuff–it’s often a bit stilted and pretentious, but on the whole I like it much better than Star Trek (which is also frequently stilted and pretentious!). It takes religion seriously, for one thing, even though it’s made by an atheist.

Edwin

I just watched Tyler Perrys movie"Daddys Little Girls"…

I don’r think it was as popular as his Medea movies but for me still worth watching…

Rent just came in the mail from Netflix - I do love some of the music so I’m looking forward to seeing it. And yes, I know there are some questionable topics in the film/musical. :rolleyes:

~Liza

BallyKissAngel seaon 5 is finally out…

I’m on a John Ford watch-a-thon:

Stagecoach
How Green Was My Valley
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
The Quiet Man
My Darling Clementine

On Tuesday I watched a black-and-white movie about Martin Luther. Someone at work lent it to me. It was… so biased. I kept pausing it and shouting at my television.

I don’t recommend it unless you’ve spontaneously become really fond of Martin Luther, and anti-Catholic. I’m trying to think of nice things to say when I give it back.

Why? I don’t think there would be anything nice I could say about Luther. Consider instead of making it a teaching moment and an opportunity for dialog with the person about why they think he was right, or do they even realize how far from Truth it really is.

I think I would perhaps say that it was “interesting”, and point out how anti-Catholic it was. Why sugar coat it? Maybe they will actually be interested to know what’s so anti-Catholic about it and you can teach them the Truth.

Just my two pennies.

~Liza

I’m not really trying to sugar-coat it, just come up with an alternative to “It really sucked.” :slight_smile:

Dh got the first Die Hard on NetFlix. Too much F word for me.

I’ll just watch The Holiday on my laptop :slight_smile: .

–KCT

The last movie we rented was The Last King of Scotland, which was a terrific movie. (The guy who played Idi Amin looks exactly like my parish priest.)

The last movie we went to at the theatre was Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, which I thought was brilliant. (The reviewer thought that the scene in the desert was boring and too long - obviously, he has never read anything by Samuel Beckett - it was straight out of Beckett’s very worst nightmare, and I thought it was very well executed - I don’t think they could have shortened it without losing the proper effect.)

I just finished watching **Bridge to Tarabithia **and my eyes still hurt from crying (cursed mascara!). It was such a terrific movie. I thought it was going to be some sort of fantasy movie, but it was really wonderful.

Oooh, a series about the American Revolution on DVD? I’ll have see if the library has that.

I also watched Shooter this week. It was pretty good.

I just finished watching **Bridge to Tarabithia **and my eyes still hurt from crying (cursed mascara!). It was such a terrific movie. I thought it was going to be some sort of fantasy movie, but it was really wonderful.

Oooh, a series about the American Revolution on DVD? I’ll have see if the library has that.

I also watched Shooter this week. It was pretty good.

I just finished watching Freedom Writers, it is a true story. Highly recommend it!

The Dinosaurs Complete 1st and 2nd seasons :thumbsup: The baby reminds us so much of our baby!

Watched “Airplane!” last night. Needed a giggle.
Netflix is sending “Padre Pio: Miracle Man” on Tuesday. I can’t wait to see it!

I just finished watching [size=]Meatballs. I forgot how much I liked that movie.[/size]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.