Which Eastern Churches in Union with Rome?

I’m completely confused by the various Orthodox and Eastern churches. Can anyone tell me which of the Orthodox / Eastern Churches are in union with Rome? Thanks!

Wikipedia has a list of the Churches that are in communion with Rome here. Read down a little, you will see it.

salaam.

Thankyou!

One of our older threads:
Eastern & Oriental Catholic Churches and Rites

For your convenience, I present the list of sui iuris Eastern Catholic Churches by date of reunion with Rome based on the data on the Wikipedia page our knowledgeable friend Badaliyyah linked to:
{1} Italo-Albanians
{2} Maronites
1595 Ukrainian Greeks
1596 Belarusian Greeks
1599 Syro-Malabars
1611 Byzantines of the Eparchy of Krizevci
1628 Albanian Greeks
1646 Hungarian Greeks
1646 Ruthenians
1646 Slovak Greeks
1692 Chaldeans
1697 Romanians
1726 Melkite Greeks
1741 Copts
1742 Armenians
1829 Greek Byzantines
1861 Bulgarian Greeks
1905 Russians
1918 Macedonians
1930 Syro-Malankaras

God bless you and yours!

{1} It is established that the Italo-Albanians were never separated from Rome.
{2} There is some dispute as to the date of reunion; Maronites themselves and many non-Maronites say that the Maronite Church was always in communion with the Holy See, and some add that the perpetual union was simply reaffirmed in 1182. Others point to the witness of diverse individuals who claim the Maronites were officially Monothelites up until a certain time, while some would reply that these accusers (e.g. St. Germanus of Constantinople, St. John of Damascus, Theodore Abukara, Timothy I, Habib Abu-Raïta of Takrit, the priest Timotheus, Dionysius of Tell-Mahré, William of Tyre, Michael I the Great of Syria, Pope Pius II) (1) mistook Maronite Miathelitism for Monothelitism or (2) wrongly concluded that based on some group of stray Maronites they knew of, the whole Maronite Church was Monothelite. See the discussion @ forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=236688.

You missed two Eastern Catholic Churches sui iuris:

(1) The Ethiopian/Eritrean Catholic Church; and
(2) The Syrian Catholic Church.

Thank you so much; I’m fascinated by the variety of customs within the Church and have a lot to learn.

This is how one can easily remember the aggrupation of Churches in the Catholic communion, i.e., the Catholic Church is composed of 23 Churches, East and West, with the pope as the Supreme Pontiff.

The West is represented by 1 Church: the Roman Catholic Church, aka the Latin Church.

The East is represented by 22 Eastern Catholic Churches sui iuris, as listed above in the immediately preceding 2 posts, subdivided into 15 Eastern Catholic Churches of the Byzantine Family of Liturgical Rites (with the Armenian Rite considered to be an older form of the Byzantine Rite), 5 Churches of the Anthiochene Family of Liturgical Rites, and 2 Churches of the Alexandrian Rite.

Each of these Eastern Catholic Churches *sui iuris *has her counterpart in Eastern or Oriental Orthodoxy, respectively, except for the Maronite Catholic Church and for the Italo-Albanian Catholic Church, both of which do not have any counterpart in Eastern or Oriental Orthodoxy.

By the way, it is generally understood that only the Maronite Catholic Church never separated from Rome.

Forgive my clumsy omission; thanks for pointing that out, Amadeus!

1781 Syriacs
1846 Ethiopians

Also, aside from the Greek Byzantines, all the other so-called Greeks are more properly Byzantines.

The Byelorussian are more commonly known as the Carpetho-rusyn or Ruthenian Byzantines; as a Sui Iuris church, they are divided; the American Ruthenians have a Sui Iuris Metropolitan Church, while there are european dioceses and exarchates directly dependent upon the papal see.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.