Which form of afterlife is worst

Hell from Christian. Non existance from atheism. reincarnation from various pagen religions.

Hell is bad real bad a nightmare:eek: Nonexistance,the anti of being,covered by void also a NIGHT MARE:eek: Reincarnation,what if you came back a cocroach;) The battle would be the first two options,and it comes down to is it better to exist or not,I would say hell is better than nonexistance,But let’s face it all are bad.God Bless

I picked hell. To me not existing would be like a “dreamless sleep I would never wake up from” the way I see it if I suddenly went out of existance. The coming back as an animal could be very risky like Lisa’s cockroach idea, but at least I would have some chance of happiness as say a spoiled housecat in a cat friendly home.

Hell means I would have no chance of doing anything but suffering.

Your question presumes that these three options are realities. We obviously have no choice in the matter. We will experience what IS.

Hell IS. The existence of hell was revealed by God. The other two options are inventions of the human mind.

JMJ Jay

Nonexistance is…nonexistance! The question was,“Which form of afterlife is worse?”

There is no “worse” in nonexistance. Worse implys a comparison. If a person achieved nonexistance he could not compare. So that leaves only two choices. But reincarnation is not Christian. Hell is the only choice viable. Since there is just one choice, there cannot be a comparison.

I chose Hell as the worst. Not sure why anyone would consider non-existence to be worse than eternal torment. Masochists, perhaps?

[quote=Drew98]I chose Hell as the worst. Not sure why anyone would consider non-existence to be worse than eternal torment. Masochists, perhaps?
[/quote]

Masochists,NO.In a very real way people choose hell,not me,but some people do. See this argument could be used by those who died suffering with cancer like my dad,it could be argued that suffering and choosing to live with it as masochistic,whereas the euthanasia folks tell you kill yourself.It is a theological question really.I would have stand by my answer,I don’t believe in the other two options anyway,this is a question for the reflection of ideas and nothing more.God Bless

Hypotheically, if they all existed (which they don’t)

I think Hell would be the worst. If you simply cease to exist, you feel nothing. You have no conscious. You can’t think to yourself “Wow, this non-existance thing sucks.” You just aren’t. Reincarnation would mean another life on Earth. I know it isn’t perfect, but I am enjoying myself and even when I’m down I can still say I’m blessed and loved. Hell is eternal suffering. But there, you can’t be “down in the pits” but still feel loved, because you have completely rejected God’s love. That leaves you with nothing but your pride and sin. And fire kinda burns when you get too close to it. :slight_smile:

Eamon

I could not vote since all those choices seemd GREAT! That is, great compared to talking theology with my protestant buffet line wife! I’ll choose hell or reincarnation as something like a [font=‘Times New Roman’]Koala bear anyday!:whistle: [/font]

an indifferent Catholic dying in a state of mortal sin and being reincarnated as an atheist – that would be the worst.

[quote=puzzleannie]an indifferent Catholic dying in a state of mortal sin and being reincarnated as an atheist – that would be the worst.
[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :smiley:

I think that Hell would be the worst because since God is all merciful, and He doesn’t want to force Himself upon those who hate His face, and they go to Hell, shielded from God’s grace, they still know that He loves them and they can still recognize His presence in their very being. They mutilate themselves because they hate the image of Him, which they can clearly see in themselves. Since, His love is eternal, they will always see Him and also, He cannot stop loving them. He loved them into the world, and once started loving, can never stop. Ceasing to exhist would be a blessing for those poor souls.

God Bless–JMJ
Laura :slight_smile:

Clicked reincarnation without thinking, I would definately have to say Hell.

This is a truly bizarre thread.

Since God can create out of nothing(ex nihilo), God can likewise do the reverse, annihilate something so it becomes absolutely nothing. Annihilation is not just mere destruction, but an absolute loss of everything: consciousness, identity… in short, it results in absolute nothingness.

However we do know that God does not annihilate anything. Perhaps this is because annihilation is such a terrible fate that in His mercy He chose not to do so. This however, is only my view on the “why”.

In any case, Reincarnation is untrue and annihilation of the sinning soul is unlikely, though possible, Hell is indeed the worst.

Gerry :slight_smile:

To spend an internity in hell is inconceivably horrible; there is nothing in comparison. You are totally & eternally prevented from receiving God’s good grace; what could be worse than that?.

The existence of Hell or a reincarnation would mean there is indeed an afterlife, maybe unpleasant for the wicked but something promising for the just. Nothiness could mean that neither Hell nor Heaven exists.

AS a punishement, Hell is much worse than nothiness. But IF Hell exists, then Heaven exists also. If reincarnation as an animal exists then reincarnation in a better life exists also,

So as a philosphy, nothingness is the worse of the three, as nothingness could be the fate of all, both good and evil. The other two, although terrible imply that there is some reward or some level of continued existence for those who are not punished.

wc

Not to exist forevermore is not horrible. Before any of us were begotten in the womb of our mother, we did not exist. None of us even remembers what it was like to be in the womb or to be born. The first conscious memories that I can recall begin when I was two years of age. Life must be lived as it comes. We have but the absolute assurance of each fleeting moment.

Re-incarnation may or may not be horrible. This possibility seems most unlikely to me. We exist only as one person, though there are a multiplicity of conscious beings on Earth (and perhaps even more in the Universes). We cannot universally re-call a prior existence (even though some para-normal types claim to).

Hell, however, being eternally cut off…cast out…separated from the Source of all that is due to a personal rejection of the offer of eternal life, completion, fulfillment, intimate fellowship with the Source of all that is. Now, to me, that is the worst concievable “afterlife.”

Very well put. Out of all three, nothingness would be the worst - in my opinion it would make existance at all pointless. One lives just to disappear after they die.

I do not believe in a hell because that concept, no matter how one looks at it, is not compatible with an ALL-loving creator.

In my beliefs, reincarnation is not used for punishment, but for learning lessons. Suicide is not an option because, by doing so, one avoided learning whatever lesson they were meant to learn, and therefore will be reborn to learn that same lesson over again. Reincarnation is not eternal however, there is an afterlife where all are live peacefully with the divine.

The third most closely fits my beliefs, however while I know what I don’t believe in, I am still evaluating and forming my beliefs on reincarnation and the afterlife in general.

[quote=wcknight]The existence of Hell or a reincarnation would mean there is indeed an afterlife, maybe unpleasant for the wicked but something promising for the just. Nothiness could mean that neither Hell nor Heaven exists.

AS a punishement, Hell is much worse than nothiness. But IF Hell exists, then Heaven exists also. If reincarnation as an animal exists then reincarnation in a better life exists also,

So as a philosphy, nothingness is the worse of the three, as nothingness could be the fate of all, both good and evil. The other two, although terrible imply that there is some reward or some level of continued existence for those who are not punished.

wc
[/quote]

If I had my druthers, I’d choose nothingness over going to hell anyday. Nothingness implies just that: no pain, no punishment, no deterence, no afterlife, no God, no eternity, just plain no!

And yes I do believe there is a hell, a purgatory, and a Heaven!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.