Which GIRM for Singapore?

Last Saturday I attended the vigil Mass in Singapore and during the Mass I was caught off guard by some minor differences in the Mass that made me realize of much I can go in automatic mode.

For example the use of the Apostles Creed. Looking at the missal in the pews it was obvious that it was the correct Creed to be used as a standard. However, they also had a laminated order of the Mass and in that there was the Nicean Creed in Latin while the rest was in English. I was also surprised by minor changes in the Lord’s prayer.

Given the overall sense of reverence that I observed during the liturgy I do not think at all that those were abuses, but just small differences in the GIRM. Can anyone please give me a link to the GIRM used in Singapore?

BTW It was the Church of St. Joseph with altar rails and lot of statues. I just love the inside, it brought me back in time. Confessions are administered by the local Opus Dei priest.

Being that Singapore is rather small, and Catholics are a minority, my guess is that the Archdiocese has not published in book or web form the deviations from the universal GIRM. Rather, the archbishop probably just sends letters or intstructions to each parish from time to time clarifying or promulgating liturgical policy.

Of course, at some point an official list of such deviations would have had to be approved by Rome, but I couldn’t find anything like that at the archdiocesan website.

The 2002 Missale Romanum allows the Apostles Creed to be used, instead of the Nicene Creed, at any Mass. This applies anywhere in the world, at least if Mass is celebrated in Latin using the 2002 Missale Romanum. If the Mass is not celebrated in Latin there may be an issue of some countries not having an approved translation of the Apostles Creed, for use in the liturgy. I think most countries do have an approved translation in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults.

Using the Apostles Creed is not discussed in the GIRM. It is in the section of the Roman Missal called the Order of Mass, n. 19. (Missale Romanum, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002, ISBN: 8820972719, page 513.)

I see your point and because Singapore is so tiny I would expect that the Archdiocese were part of a bigger territory in term of relations with the Holy See.

I know this is quite an old posting, but if you would like to find the GIRM for Singapore, you can try the following link: catholic.org.sg/liturgy/

It will be listed under Documents.

Pax tecum.

The GIRM does NOT require the Nicene Creed to be said, no matter what country you are in. It requires the Creed be said but does not specify which one.
I lived in Singapore for 14 years. In fact that was where I became a Catholic. I can’t say anything about the Saturday Masses but the Sunday Masses all used the Nicene Creed.
Now I live in the Philippines where the Nicene Creed is never used at Mass. They only use the Apostles Creed.

In the Philippines now because of the change they say the Nicene creed :slight_smile:

Here in the Philippines we only say the Apostles Creed. The Nicene Creed is never used. By the way it does not matter which GIRM you read they all only require that the Creed be said. They do not specify which Creed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.