Which is better?

Is it better to do the right thing, for the wrong reasons?

Or to do the wrong thing, for the right reasons?

You would get much better discussion about this if you posted your question in the Moral Theology sub-forum. This is the non-Catholic religions forum. Ask the Moderator to move it.

I think our intentions have a lot to do with it. I guess it would depend, and it might need to be weighed on a case-by-case basis as to which is better.

Wrong thing for the right reasons.

Probably…since intent is everything.

Neither, they cancel each other out and the result in both cases is zero.

I understand the Question , the Answer is variable,
I’v done the right thing for the wrong reason ,
And the wrong thing for the right reasons,
I guess you want an example ?
To do the right thing for the wrong reason could be caused by greed,
To do the wrong thing for the right reason could be to correct a wrong delt to another,

I disagree with the premise behind these questions. Why? Mainly for two reasons, first; from intention flows action, and second; final results are in the Lord’s hands, not man’s.

So a person cannot do the right thing for the wrong reasons. To have the wrong intention is to do the wrong thing, no matter the result. In our Book of Mormon a prophet said, “For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a fit, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing.” (Moro 7:6) Intent and motivation is everything when speaking of spiritual matters. We must have the right intention or we cannot do the right thing.

Next, to find the right reasons and to act accordingly is the right thing. It is impossible to do the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Then fear not to do good, the Lord will cause events to work together for the right. There is an old hymn we sometimes sing the chorus is, “Do what is right let the consequence follow” (From Psalms of Life, Hymn 505, “Do What is Right for the Day Dawn is Breaking”). The go forward and do right!

I’ll give you a quote someone told me a long time ago when I asked the same question:

“Don’t let the wrong motive keep you from doing the right thing.”

If you look at the results, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is probably more beneficial in the long run. Intending to do right is great, but actions are what really count most of the time. If you hurt someone even though you intend to do right, you’ve still hurt someone. Personally, I’d rather put my trust in someone who does good things for other people for entirely selfish reasons than someone who has all the best intentions in the world towards people and still ends up hurting them.

Interesting.

Oh, you beat me to it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.