Which is more uncharitable: ignoring Truth to protect the self's ego, or telling the Truth to become self-enlightened, even though the ego might become bruised in the process?

Since the unelected media has unilaterally decided to promote Independent Individualism (which is really just a remarketed way of saying “be selfish”), our egos have become protected from bruising since we now think that we are right or “correct.” It is their way of claiming that there are no universal Truths. The truly closed-minded people go so far as to attempt to enforce the Unelected media’s version of Social Justice, without questioning the motives of a couple of media CEOs who are pulling the strings of the puppet. Anyway, Independent Individualism tells us that we are right or correct. And if we believe that we are right or correct, then it can’t “my” fault. So, if it’s not “my” fault, then it must be the fault of “others.” Increasingly en vogue is their promotion that it’s the other gender’s fault.

If they can successfully propagandize people into beleiving there are no universal Truths, then they can diminish religion, since we have each turned ourselves into false gods by inventing our own truth. It seems this is why people are drifting apart: no room (intolerance) for the ego to become bruised. What say you?

There are ways to tell the Truth lovingly. If you walk around shouting the truth into peoples faces they still won't hear it. The idea is to deliver the truth in a manner that it is given with love and charity.

[quote="ManOnFire, post:1, topic:218056"]

If they can successfully propagandize people into beleiving there are no universal Truths, then they can diminish religion, since we have each turned ourselves into false gods by inventing our own truth. It seems this is why people are drifting apart: no room (intolerance) for the ego to become bruised. What say you?

[/quote]

*It is more uncharitable to ignore the truth *- Exposure to global media in all forms, and a growing culture of wealth, coupled with the drive to become ever more successful, focussed and motivated, could be said to be partly responsible for mankinds lack of accountability. Sin and rightiousness, cause and effect, are more often than not explained away (and excused) in psychologic terms, and perceived to a certain degree relevant to something other than soul integrity, Church and Holy Scripture.

Jesus said, I am the Way, the Truth, the Life and the Coddled Ego.

Oh wait. No HE didnt.

speaking Truth in love is a charitable and merciful work-- insturcting the ignorant is a spiritual work of mercy.

Truth excludes everyting that is untrue. when Truth is lacking, sundy and copious untruth seeps in to fill the void. welcome to our world.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:2, topic:218056"]
There are ways to tell the Truth lovingly. If you walk around shouting the truth into peoples faces they still won't hear it. The idea is to deliver the truth in a manner that it is given with love and charity.

[/quote]

You raise a great point, but WHY won't people hear it if they are TRULY open-minded? If someone whispered that teh building was on fire, who would take them seriously? The moral equivalents to this are at stake today. If someone said it more passionately, personally, that would cause me to stop and think about it more seriously. I'm simply asking for people to consider "x." It seems the people who have already made up their minds have already closed them, so it might not matter how the message is presented. We can now tell them that they are closed-minded, just like the media has done to us. It's almost as if the media praised people for being open-minded, then they closed their minds to merely consider alternative views.

Christ gives us our instructions - if they will not listen - go from the town and shake the the dust from the your shoes. I know I did not quote that exactly. He did not say yell and scream in their face or push the truth on them - I would suggest watching a Franciscan First Order (meaning Brothers) community evangelize sometime -it is the closest thing you will see to literal Gospel evangelization you will have ever have the opportunity to be exposed to.

Thanks I’ll check it out.

Philosophically, I was wondering why people seemed to have an easier time being Catholic decades ago. Media and technology seem to be the 2 biggest changes to society. It seems that the media’s promotion of selfishness through independent individualism and the fairy tale of aliens in spaceships, for which there is no proof of superiority, are somehow improvements over Catholicism. For someone who claims that religion is propaganda, I claim that we should ask everyone to be honest and introspective to discern if the media has affected society with it’s own propaganda. The mere consideration of this issue would be progress.

[quote="ManOnFire, post:7, topic:218056"]
Thanks I'll check it out.

Philosophically, I was wondering why people seemed to have an easier time being Catholic decades ago. Media and technology seem to be the 2 biggest changes to society. It seems that the media's promotion of selfishness through independent individualism and the fairy tale of aliens in spaceships, for which there is no proof of superiority, are somehow improvements over Catholicism. For someone who claims that religion is propaganda, I claim that we should ask everyone to be honest and introspective to discern if the media has affected society with it's own propaganda. The mere consideration of this issue would be progress.

[/quote]

It is true - we do live in a McCulture - we want what we want when we want it. But when we evangelize the same way rather than the way Christ calls us to we are very much guilty of McEvangelization - and McConverts don't last very long as conversion is a lifelong process.

That is one of the reasons historically the Dominicans and Franciscans broke off was an argument had by St Francis an St Dominic over the "Saracen issue" and while they agreed on some things - St Dominic went off and spearheaded an Inquisition. (You will see in the history books footnotes under certain Spanish Inquisition moments that state these should not be confused with the Dominican Inquisition) - St Francis tried first to convince the Crusaders not to fight knowing they would be killed when that failed - he tried to convince the Saracens not to fight. In the end the moral of the story is when St Francis went off to be a martyr for Christ - he simply could not die. There is a short lesson on evangelization and patience. God bless. Pax et Bonum.

That sounds like very effective advice for the sender to improve his/her message. Since communication involves both a sender and a receiver, and our digital age of tweets and texts does not allow much time or space for proper spelling, grammar, and reasoning, and since some people are believing the unelected pop culture media’s propaganda as the correct one, I feel we need to inform more receivers that just because pop culture media has annointed them as being “open minded,” they are actually closing their minds to merely consider other options.

It’s almost as if we need a public service announcement alerting people to this fact. But the mainstream media editors control the airwaves, so they will not allow the Truth to be told if telling the Truth decreases their influence over public opinion. We’re in a critical jam. We need to get the word out that in the age of quick messages, people need to stay open minded to Church teaching and why this message is important. Too many receivers immediately close their minds to merer consideration of whether or not the message is TRUE if their EMOTIONS are negatively affected. Too often, messages that foretell sacrifice or lack of fun are immediately rejected by some, closed-minded style. How can we keep the receivers thinking? How do we fight the media propaganda?

You forget the purpose of free will. Once the message is out there it is up to the receiver to here it. If they are cajoled into it then it is not out of true love and the choice is basically worthless - this is the theology of free will. Now go back and count the number of times you wrote the words I, we, me, and us in that sentence and see what your true purpose of this. We are not Protestant evangelists we are Gospel people.

[quote="ManOnFire, post:9, topic:218056"]
That sounds like very effective advice for the sender to improve his/her message. Since communication involves both a sender and a receiver, and our digital age of tweets and texts does not allow much time or space for proper spelling, grammar, and reasoning, and since some people are believing the unelected pop culture media's propaganda as the correct one, I feel we need to inform more receivers that just because pop culture media has annointed them as being "open minded," they are actually closing their minds to merely consider other options.

It's almost as if we need a public service announcement alerting people to this fact. But the mainstream media editors control the airwaves, so they will not allow the Truth to be told if telling the Truth decreases their influence over public opinion. We're in a critical jam. We need to get the word out that in the age of quick messages, people need to stay open minded to Church teaching and why this message is important. Too many receivers immediately close their minds to merer consideration of whether or not the message is TRUE if their EMOTIONS are negatively affected. Too often, messages that foretell sacrifice or lack of fun are immediately rejected by some, closed-minded style. How can we keep the receivers thinking? How do we fight the media propaganda?

[/quote]

We could just try living the Gospel. A life lived is louder than any number of words. Why do you think Mother Theresa was so compelling? Not because her words gave credence to her works, but because her works gave credence to her words. She was listened to because of how she lived, not because of how she framed her message verbally. She lived not to send a message of her own imagining, but rather she lived to please God. If we follow God, God will do the talking.

We also should get rid of the idea that we are living in some special time. People of our time are not so different from people of other ages. Our problems are not so terribly different. Rather, they are the same banal problems humanity has always faced, put together in today's unique combination.

As for those who consider themselves open-minded, I think you would be less upset if you remembered not to take the self-assessment of anyone, including yourself, at face value. We are all blind when it comes to looking at ourselves. When we see someone who is self-deceived, rather, we would do well to recognize our kinship, so our compassion can come from that recognition.

Do not worry too much about strategies, but keep your mind open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, who sees into every heart you will ever speak to. Remember that you are not required to be successful, but only to be faithful. Look at the creative way that St. Paul approached the "open-minded" of his own day. Yet even he, unrivaled evangelizer that he was, did not convince the majority of his listeners:
"While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he grew exasperated at the sight of the city full of idols. So he debated in the synagogue with the Jews and with the worshipers, and daily in the public square with whoever happened to be there.

Even some of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers engaged him in discussion. Some asked, "What is this scavenger trying to say?" Others said, "He sounds like a promoter of foreign deities," because he was preaching about 'Jesus' and 'Resurrection.' They took him and led him to the Areopagus and said, "May we learn what this new teaching is that you speak of? For you bring some strange notions to our ears; we should like to know what these things mean." Now all the Athenians as well as the foreigners residing there used their time for nothing else but telling or hearing something new.

Then Paul stood up at the Areopagus and said: "You Athenians, I see that in every respect you are very religious. For as I walked around looking carefully at your shrines, I even discovered an altar inscribed, 'To an Unknown God.' What therefore you unknowingly worship, I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and all that is in it, the Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in sanctuaries made by human hands, nor is he served by human hands because he needs anything. Rather it is he who gives to everyone life and breath and everything. He made from one the whole human race to dwell on the entire surface of the earth, and he fixed the ordered seasons and the boundaries of their regions, so that people might seek God, even perhaps grope for him and find him, though indeed he is not far from any one of us.

For 'In him we live and move and have our being,' as even some of your poets have said, 'For we too are his offspring.' Since therefore we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the divinity is like an image fashioned from gold, silver, or stone by human art and imagination. God has overlooked the times of ignorance, but now he demands that all people everywhere repent because he has established a day on which he will 'judge the world with justice' through a man he has appointed, and he has provided confirmation for all by raising him from the dead."

When they heard about resurrection of the dead, some began to scoff, but others said, "We should like to hear you on this some other time." And so Paul left them. But some did join him, and became believers. Among them were Dionysius, a member of the Court of the Areopagus, a woman named Damaris, and others with them. Acts. 17:16-34

[quote="joandarc2008, post:10, topic:218056"]
You forget the purpose of free will. Once the message is out there it is up to the receiver to here it. If they are cajoled into it then it is not out of true love and the choice is basically worthless - this is the theology of free will. Now go back and count the number of times you wrote the words I, we, me, and us in that sentence and see what your true purpose of this. We are not Protestant evangelists we are Gospel people.

[/quote]

I don't understand your post. People have both the free will NOT to hear the message, and the free will not to be cajoled into believeing the message IF they suspect that the message is designed as an emotional plea while they do not agree with the level of Truth contained in the meat of the message. "I,we,me" sounds more natural than saying "one." What do you think my true purpose is? I thought it was to find truth. My original post was stating the need for, like you said, "the receiver to hear it." I think we need a renewed effort to remind people not to become propagandized into the unelected media's values. What else am I missing something else here?

Your purpose for evangelizing should be to evangelize and the effect it has is up to God - the instructions are in the Bible. When we start worrying about OUR effect we our personalizing and it becomes about EGO and PRIDE

I’m more concerned that the effect’s of the pop culture media’s is more frequently present that God’s in this age of portable media. I apologize for the edginess of some of my posts. When I try to tone it down and mention all the exceptions to the rules, I get writer’s block. The peculiar thing is that in trying to see all these shades of gray via looiking for exceptions to the rules, it’s more difficult to see the big picture, i.e., the black and the white. With all this talk of people losing common sense, maybe this is one reason. Peace.

[quote="ManOnFire, post:14, topic:218056"]
I'm more concerned that the effect's of the pop culture media's is more frequently present that God's in this age of portable media. I apologize for the edginess of some of my posts. When I try to tone it down and mention all the exceptions to the rules, I get writer's block. The peculiar thing is that in trying to see all these shades of gray via looiking for exceptions to the rules, it's more difficult to see the big picture, i.e., the black and the white. With all this talk of people losing common sense, maybe this is one reason. Peace.

[/quote]

OK, we can only be concerned about the message we put out. Pop culture is rough and it makes it difficult. However, there are some things we can do - use it as a teaching tool in Adult Formation Classes, not support it (if we all did this there would be no money for advertising in it), or find entertainment alternatives and invite your friends over.

Amen, sister. Let’s get the word out. There are plenty of clean, fascinating, and educational places to surf the net, like here. Like you said, if we don’t support it, we can remove the trash and bring back the depth of romanticism. The water cooler and holidays are opportunities. Cheers. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.