Which is the greater sin?

Hey everyone! So I am 15, almost 16, and i started Sacrament Preparation for the Older Child Year One. My family is protestant. I went from August through November. After non stop anger from my mother, she eventually said she wont take me anymore. So i havent gone in over 2 monthes. I have no way to go to mass and she refuses to be a part of anything Catholic. I havent even been baptized becasue she refuses to be a part of it at a Catholic Church.

My question is, what should I do? Should i defy my mother and figure out a way to get there? I read my Bible and Catechism every night and pray the rosary, but I feel like God is angry with me for not going to Mass and Classes even though i really cant. What should i do?

Not going to Mass for you is not a sin. It is not your fault that you can’t go. The Canon Law which requires people to go to Mass only applies to members of the Church. You are not a member of the Church and so the obligation does not apply to you. There is no sin.

Fighting with your mother is a sin. Do not defy your mother. Others will tell you to do so and quote scripture incorrectly to you. Do not do it. Obey the 4th commandment to honor your father and mother. Do not argue. Not a word. Allow the spirit of Christ to come over your family and you will eventually join the Church. By your patience and God’s peace, your parents will come into the Church as well.

A Jewish girl asked St. Josemaria Escriva the same question about converting. He told her exactly what I have told you. You can watch the whole thing at youtube.com/watch?v=xSTvG_PUE9E

-Tim-

First and most important God is not angry with you so please do not feel that way. I imagine the circumstances you are in now seem incredibly complex, frustrating and insurmountable but that is youth and impatience driving these feeling.

Love God, love the Church, study using outside sources the best you can and in time you will have more “control” of your own circumstances to make your own decisions. For now see this as an opportunity that God is using to teach you patience (note he loves to review this with me constantly) and remember you are to honor your mother per God’s commandment.

I’m in my 40’s and new covert so I’m actually a little envious of you in that you will come into full communion with the Church at such a young age. The next couple of years will fly by in the meantime keep a meaningful and respectful dialog going with your mother but give her space and time to absorb it all.

To tell you the truth my mother isn’t all that thrilled with my decision either but I’m just giving her time and hopefully she will see the changes God is making in my life and that of my family. Be patient and keep your faith strong and everything will work out and exceed your expectations.

Be Blessed Sister

you should remain quiet, obedient & respectful of your parents until you are of the age when you can make independent decisions

in the meantime, yes continue to explore the catholic faith and watch EWTN

continue saying the rosary

:thumbsup:
Be patient and try not to upset your Mother. Your time will come. God loves you more than you can possibly imagine. He knows your intentions and your circumstances. He knows all. Is there a Catholic church in walking distance? If so, when you are out and about try going to it and sit in silence with God, asking Him to show you the way. You might not hear anything the first time, but if you continue to do this, you will hear him. God comes to us in silence. So if you can’t get to a church, just sit in silence in your room, a park, anywhere that is safe and you can be alone in conversation with our Father and Jesus.
I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless you bkeesee. I wish there were more young people like you.

My prayers are also with you. I agree with the others who said to obey your mother. When you are of age, you will be able to do as you feel God calls you to do, please be patient.

God bless you.

St Faustina, among many others, was subjected to cruel treatment.
Christ let her know that obedience is pleasing to him, even when the obedience leads you to something that is not fulfilling for your faith.
As others pointed out, because you are a minor and subject to your parents, you are not sinning by missing Mass.
Treat them with sacrificial love and God may surprise you.

My wife and I have a commitment to morning prayer together including a rosary.
My 22 year old son is in the house for a couple months before boot camp. He does not join in prayer with us, at least in that way.
The other morning I had not seen him for a few days, had not had the chance to talk to him. He came downstairs right in the middle of our rosary and was eating in the kitchen by himself. My wife and I stopped the rosary right in the middle so we could go out and sit with him. Why would we do that?

I have a vocation as a father. A vocation is a “call from God”. Out of obedience to that call I stopped the rosary to obey (listen to) that call.
You have a vocation as a son. Etc…

This is a very beautiful post.

-Tim-

Thanks to everyone who has posted such wonderful advice. I definitely will go to the park or something and sit in silence with the lord. The closest Church to me is 8 miles away so it isn’t that practical to walk there (especially sneaking off that far without my mother’s knowing).

My big concern is I fear going to hell due to me not being baptized, nor any mortal sins I’ve committed being confessed to a priest.

People who want to be baptized who die before they can be officially baptized still get credit. It’s called like baptism by spirit or baptism by intention or something like that

You won’t go to hell for honouring your mother and father. Nor for not being baptized while you’re a minor and can’t do anything about it, or while you’re learning about the faith. God is not an ogre. He can read your heart and He loves you very much and is thrilled that you love Him too.

Baptism of desire:

For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.

(Catechism of the Catholic Church 1259)

This is official Church teaching. Until you have full freedom to act on your explicit desire for baptism, pray, sit with the Lord if you have an opportunity, learn to pray the Liturgy of the Hours which will allow you full participation in the public liturgy of the Church (other than the Mass), and you can participate in this liturgy no matter where you are. If you can’t afford the books, you can pray it on-line, divineoffice.org/

God bless, you are in my prayers.

You will not go to hell. God knows what you want and that you are not able to do it right now. Do not fear. :blessyou: :hug1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.