Which Latin prayers to memorize?

By now, most people have heard that Pope Benedict suggested that we learn the most common Catholic prayers in Latin, specifically the ones that are printed in the Compendium of the Catechism that was just released. :smiley:

Does anyone know exactly which prayers these are? I know that the Signum Crucis, Doxologia Minor, Ave Maria, and the Veni, Sancte Spiritus were listed in the press release.

Additionally, I would assume that the Pater Noster/Oratio Dominica, the Symbolum Apostolorum, Symbolum Nicaenum, Confiteor, the Sanctus, as well as the Agnus Dei would be included…if only because we use them at every mass… :hmmm:

Does anyone know exactly which prayers are listed? If there is anyone here from Italy who has seen the Compendium, perhaps you could fill us in?

Thanx!

It would be really cool if CA put together a resource for this. How about it guys?

Scott

While you’re waiting, pick some favorites from the Thesaurus Precum Latinarum

tee

[quote=tee_eff_em]While you’re waiting, pick some favorites from the Thesaurus Precum Latinarum

tee
[/quote]

Wow what a great site. Thank you for posting this link.
Lisa N

A nice idea to know some prayers in Latin. It reminds me of the 1950s when nearly all altar boys had the entire Mass memorized. Of course, it took until I got to high school, when I was to study Latin for four years, to understand all I had already memorized. :slight_smile:

[quote=Isidore_AK]By now, most people have heard that Pope Benedict suggested that we learn the most common Catholic prayers in Latin, specifically the ones that are printed in the Compendium of the Catechism that was just released.
[/quote]

I hadn’t heard, but I think it’s a great idea! When did he say it? Just recently?

June 28

Here are some more good links (with audio files):

saintmaryparish.net/prayers/basic_prayers.htm

saintmaryparish.net/ordo_missae.htm

chastitysf.guidetopsychology.com/latinrecordings.htm

If that is true, I would go and help out in CCD and the parochial school. Granted that the priest would actually use them during mass to make them stick in kid’s head.
I grew up doing latin in the current mass. It isn’t hard.
And bring back the real Asperges Me. Veni Creator Spiritus, Magnificat, Pater Noster,… not hard to remember. Just have to actually use them in church to have them stick in the people’s minds.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.