WHICH MASS DO YOU ATTEND?

This thread is not started for yet another discussion of one Mass versus the Other or why one is better than the other, etc. Please don’t do that again.

I am just rather interested in where the Catholic Answers Forum attends Mass.

I voted other because there is no such thing as an NO Mass. It is Ordo Missae(Order of the Mass)…The Mass! :wink:

On the other hand I could have voted Traditional or Divine Liturgy too as once in awhile I do attend those but it is all “THE MASS” as far as the Latin Rite and the Eastern Rite is Divine Liturgy which was correct of course. :wink:

I see you have an entry for a “Chrismatic Mass”.

What is this? It should be no different than a standard Mass.

I see you left out the Anglican Use Mass which does differ from the standard Mass.

I voted for all the I have or do attend.

I regularly attend the Divine Liturgy but at times I attend N.O. and Indult Masses.

Marie - I know you are correct but still that is what most people call it and I did not know how to word it on the poll. Probably you could have chose it on the poll and then explained to us why it is wrong to call it that but I’ll try to rememer that when and if I do another poll.

[quote=deogratias]Marie - I know you are correct but still that is what most people call it and I did not know how to word it on the poll. Probably you could have chose it on the poll and then explained to us why it is wrong to call it that but I’ll try to rememer that when and if I do another poll.
[/quote]

Don’t worry about it deo. It is called Irish humor! I posted it because it always makes me laugh that people call it NO, as in NO MASS. That always cracks me up. :smiley:

The NO part, not the thought of there being No Mass. :eek:

And as long as it promotes the understanding that N.O. is incorrect and helps punctuate a wide spread misunderstanding of The Mass, then it acheives something with a bit of humor thrown in. :wink:

I have never attended a Charismatic Mass as far as I know. I see it listed in most Dioceses and do know that it usually includes a Healing Service and a “Slaying of the Spirit”. Perhaps some Charismatic will take the poll and answer the question for us.

[quote=deogratias]I have never attended a Charismatic Mass as far as I know. I see it listed in most Dioceses and do know that it usually includes a Healing Service and a “Slaying of the Spirit”. Perhaps some Charismatic will take the poll and answer the question for us.
[/quote]

So then it would be a Mass followed by an Annointing, which we do in the Byzantine Church, but it would be Divine Liturgy followed by Annointing.

There is no “Slaying of the Spirit” rite in the Church so this must be just some made up thing they do but it would also have to follow the Mass.

As both the Mass and the Annointing service are layed out int he Church and have rubrics to follow.

[quote=Marie]Don’t worry about it deo. It is called Irish humor! I posted it because it always makes me laugh that people call it NO, as in NO MASS. That always cracks me up. :smiley:

The NO part, not the thought of there being No Mass. :eek:

And as long as it promotes the understanding that N.O. is incorrect and helps punctuate a wide spread misunderstanding of The Mass, then it acheives something with a bit of humor thrown in. :wink:
[/quote]

While I can agree with this there still needs to be a distinction between the two different rites of the Mass that one can attend in the Latin Church.

Maybe a better way to say it would be The Mass and The Indult Mass.

Marie - I appreciate that. Also I did not use “Latin” Mass as some people refer to the Indult Tridentine Mass because the Odo Missae can and is celebrated in the Latin language as well as in the vernacular.

The purpose of the poll is twofold - one to allow folks here on the forum to voice their preference and the other to help us realize that the word Catholic is painted with a very broad brush indeed.

Byz, as I said, I really don’t know much about Charismatic except what one women told me some years ago and so I am reluctant to comment much on it and hope someone who does consider themself a Charismatic and who goes to Charismatic Masses can educate us all.

[quote=deogratias]Byz, as I said, I really don’t know much about Charismatic except what one women told me some years ago and so I am reluctant to comment much on it and hope someone who does consider themself a Charismatic and who goes to Charismatic Masses can educate us all.
[/quote]

I understand this but when you look at the offical rites of the Church, the documents that tell us how to celebrate them…

There is no Chrismatic Mass, but there is an Anglican Use Mass.

I wonder why one was included that doesn’t exist and one that does exist was not included.

Byz - I included it because I see it listed in many Dioceses and if you do a search on Charismatic Masses on the Web, you will find many of them and so they exist.

I did not include Anglican Rite - I guess if you live in Texas or North Carolina and maybe there is even one in Massachusetts if memory serves me, then you might attend one and probably I would have if I had remembered it.

But thanks for reminding me of that Rite - I suppose those who choose other will post if the other is Anglican Use.

[FONT=Times New Roman]:slight_smile: My experience of a charismatic mass is one that is often preceded by 30 minutes or so of hymns praising the Lord followed by a very NO Mass in which the particpants show great enthusiam in singing and responding in the proper places. During the praise there may be some singing and praying in “tongues” as described by Paul in some of his letters. Following there may be laying on of hands and prayer for healing of either spiritual or physical illness. During this period of praise and prayer which would always follow the mass and not occur during it, some people may be “slain in the spirit” (generally fall gently to the floor and experience feelings of God’s healing love for a few minutes). It has been my experience that the sense of Gods presence becomes much stronger than a NO Mass not preceded by the praise. A pentecostal named Carruthers once said “that God inhabits the praises of His people.”

Thank you RW - so except for the “tongues”, it is pretty much like any other Mass but with prayers before and healing afterwards, would that be accurate?

In my experience that is quite accurate except it is not only prayer that precedes but a solid 25 to thirty minutes of sung praise of the Lord. I should emphasize that the laying on of hands and prayer for healing is not the Sacrament of anointing, although alternatively the Sacrament is sometimes administered by a priest or priests at this time. The healing part does not occur after all charismatic masses.

Thanks again for your input:)

Hi deo, I’ve been to a charismatic mass because they asked our choir to sing for it. It started as a regular mass except beforehand the priest had us go behind the scenes and pray and then he said “if anyone wishes to speak in tongues they may do so now”. I thought tongues was something that just came unbidden. I wasn’t aware that you could do it at will. of course, I’m very sceptical about such things so it sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me. (I thought when you spoke in tongues people were supposed to understand you)Anyway the mass was as usual, but after mass people came forward for a special blessing and started falling over backwards and at that point I left. I didn’t feel the Holy Spirit, just a bunch of people falling over. But I’m a traditionalist, as you know, and couldn’t get into it at all.

I went to a retreat once at a Benedictine Monastery in Pecos, New Mexico. I went to daily office and the Masses there. Everything was pretty normal except there was a time during every service - lasted only about a minute or less, when all the priests, brothers and nuns would do this little melodic sound - which I later heard was “tongues”.

And on inquiry I did find that tongues was not something that just happened and meant anything in another language but was just a way to pray. So you are right in one regard, it is gibberish but it was not unpleasant at that monastery - but sounded rehersed like the rest of the responses and chants.

I also have since learned that there are several different Orders of Benedictines - some Charismatic, some very Traditional like the one at Clear Creek that use the Tridentine Mass and Gregorian Chant and some inbetween - just like the rest of us Catholics:)

There’s only two Indult Masses in my diocese and they are far away,and not every week.

I hope one day to go to one of them. There’s a Byzantine Parish not too far from me, and that is nice to go to once in a while, but mostly I go to N.O.

I hope you can experience other Masses from time to time and some folks will be envious to hear you have two Indult Masses. There are still some Dioceses which have none.

The Eastern Rite Masses are also very beautiful quite a bit different from either the Tridentine or Missae Ordo you attend. The things I noticed different was that they bless themselves from right to left and use only two fingers. This is done quite frequently during the Liturgy.

The Rite I attended was Ukranian Rite. There were not statues used by instead Icons - I have always thought these were beautiful too.

The Eastern Rites do not use unlevened bread but small pieces of bread dipped in wine and served on a Golden spoon(intinction). This is totally valid for the Eastern Rite. At the one I attended (twice) the Divine Liturgy was that of St. John Chrysostom. If anyone wants to read it - it is online.

esoptron.umd.edu/ugc/liturgy1.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.