Which movie version of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" do you like the best?

This story has been filmed umpteen times, but I like the 1951 Alistair Sim version the best. It stays pretty close to the original story.

The only one I will watch is the Alistair Sim version. I have seen most of the others (possibly all of them), and none of them holds a candle to that one.

For whatever reason I’ve been a fan of the Muppet version that came out in the '90s. I actually prefer seeing it as a live play. It is done at a local theatre every year where I live.

I too love the Alastair Sim version and consider it the best, but I must also tip my hat to the Mr. Magoo animated version. It was charming with lively songs and Christmas spirit, besides being a faithful adaptation of the Dickens’ tale. Also the 1970 musical version with Albert Finney was quite good. He played Scrooge as both the young man and the old miser. The songs were appropriate and also lively. It’s too bad it’s not shown as often as the Scott version (ok but he’s not really believable as Scrooge) or the Patrick Stewart version, which again was all right and tried to be faithful to Dickens but somehow didn’t inspire or have the heart of the Alastair Sim version.

I love the 1984 version. :slight_smile:

Definitely “A Muppet’s Christmas Carol”. I’m not sure why, but that was always my favorite. Perhaps because of Michael Caine, or the fact that it was able to stay pretty close to the book (from what I remember), while still including muppets.

I apologize if this seems like heresy to Dickens fans, but I like “Scrooged” with Bill Murray. :smiley:

That’s okay parodies are fine, especially if they reinforce the major theme. I remember “WKRP in Cinncinatti’s” homage to Dickens–it was a hoot!

I always liked the message in A Christmas Carol because it implies that our actions affect this life here and now and doesn’t go a whole lot into Hell other than Marley being in chains.

I like most of them.

Even tough I cannot stand musicals I do like the the Albert Finney one, is it the only one where you see Scrooge in Hell?

I also like the Muppet one as I think Michael Cain plays it very well.

Funnily I watched Scrooge a few days ago.

:slight_smile:

this is my favorite too!

George C. Scott was an amazing actor.

this one also had one of the scariest looking “Ghost of Christmas yet to come” that I’ve ever seen.

I liked the original 1938 version of The Christmas Carol. It’s much more authentic I think, and the spirits a whole lot scarier, but then I’m a traditionalist at heart.

Love George Scott, but most of the other originals can’t hold a candle against the first one.

Marley was not in Hell, he was in Purgatory.

Actually, it’s quite Catholic with Marley in his chains for we believe even though God’s justice is satisfied by Christ’s death and resurrection, still we are responsible for the damage we’ve done and the lack of good we didn’t do that could have helped others. I would imagine that Marley is in purgatory until the end of the world, which means he had some virtue in him but surpressed it in favor of gaining more and more earthly wealth, otherwise why would he come to warn Scrooge? Only a good soul would do that not a damned one.

One perspective on man being more than a mere material being was given us by C. S. Lewis who wrote that we are not bodies with souls, but souls with bodies. Only our material being will die, as all physical matter is subject to decay (something St. Paul discusses), but our souls are everlasting because we are more than brains with bodies, we are spirits/souls that enliven brains and dwell united to our bodies.

the “Scrooged” version w/ Bill Murray and Buster Pointdexter :thumbsup:

The 1951 version with Alastair Sim and the musical Scrooge with Albert Finney.

Since we are allowing parodies, I also like last year’s Doctor Who take on the story. Michael Gambon is wonderful as the Scrooge like character.

Not really fond of either George C. Scott or Patrick Stewart. I wish they would have done a tape of Stewart’s one man stage show, rather than a full production.

If parodies are ok, then I’ve got to nominate the It’s a Bundyful Life episode of “Married… With Children,” w/ Sam Kinison as the angel. Still one of the funniest redo of It’s A Wonderful Life I have ever seen. :smiley:

The Alastair Sim one is the best. I remember as a kid watching the musical version and being a bit scared of the Ghost of Christmas Future. I’m also a huge fan of Scrooged, but then again, I’m a huge fan of Bill Murray…

I like the Albert Finney version “Scrooge”, and you know Scrooge and Marley are in Purgatory, not Hell, because Marley was played by a Catholic. The soundtrack is also rather catchy.

I like the George C. Scott version, as he is probably the most physically intimidating Scrooge, and I like Edward Woodward as the Ghost of Christmas Present.

The 1951 Alaistair Sims version is classic and very memorable. Parts of it look like a vintage Hammer horror film.

But for me, the best verson ever is the animated version that showed on ABC in 1971, that was directed by the great animator Richard Williams and produced by the great Chuck Jones.

It’s only a half hour, so it seems rushed, but it’s done in the style of old English Victorian etchings, it includes parts of the original story that aren’t in any of the other adaptations, and it’s incredibly spooky in parts. The part where the Ghost of Christmas Present lifts up his robe to reveal the spectral figures of Ignorance and Want is terrifying. And Scrooge is voiced by (again) Alaistair Sims.

Unfortunately, never released on DVD, only VHS!

I love the George C. Scott version.

I also like the Disney version, where Unca Scrooge plays Mr. Scrooge.

I just hope they never make a Pixar version of this story–I dislike Pixar immensely.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.