Which Non Catholic Churches Are Orthodox Protestant

Please, I do not want this to turn into a Protestant bashing thread! I am asking a question because something said on another thread got me curious. I dont’ want to single out the poster so I will paraphrase.

Anything outside of orthodox Protestantism is not even Christianity.

Which specific denominations are Orthodox Protestants and which aren’t? Do these Non Orthodox Protestant Churches consider themeselves Protestants?(I hope that made sense)

I don’t recall hearing or reading the phrase “orthodox protestantism.”

The word “orthodox” means “straight teaching.” The Oxford Dictionary says it means “of or holding correct or conventional or currently accepted beliefs, especially in religion…”

There is much inconsistency in the teachings of protestant Christians, so to me, “orthodox protestantism” seems to be an oxymoron.

I’m guessing the phrase may be referring to those who consider themselves as Christians but who disagree with orthodox Christian teaching about the Trinity (three persons in one God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit).

I think I understand what you mean-“orthodox Protestantism” (and that WOULD be with a lower case “o”!) would be the Church of England, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, in other words, the basic “establishment” old time Protestant churches-churches lumped in with Protestantism, but not cionsidered as “orthodox” Protestants would be non-Trinitarian Pentecostals, any “Seventh Day” (Saturday Sabbath) churches, Mormons, (who are most definitely NOT “The Church of Jesus Christ”!), Jehovahs Witnesses, Identity churches/British Israel-that is, those churches who believe that one of the tribes of Israel ended up in Britain, and subsequently, the only “true Christians” must be of the white race, and, basically, any “Protestant” church that has extremely odd beliefs!
Believe it or not, many think that the post-vatican II Catholic Church qualifies as an "orthodox Protestant"church!

Thank you! That about covers it, I think.:slight_smile: So, my former Baptist Church would not be Orthodox, correct?

Would Orthodox Churches have more in common with Roman Catholic views of scripture and salvation then nonOrthodox Protestant Churches?

I found the phrase in another thread and it confused me so I wanted clarification.:slight_smile:

When referring to Catholic or Protestant communities, the term is not capitalized unless it is a part of the formal name.

Scripturally, the Orthodox and the Catholic Communion under the Pope have more in common.

We do share an incarnational theology, and from that we have the sacraments which we largely share in common, as well as those set apart as clergy to confect them.

However, in regard to thinking about the means of salvation (justification etc.), there is a great deal of commonality between the Latin Catholic and Protestant churches. Usually, Protestants and Catholics can go round and round on these topics (like Faith and Works, that sort of thing) and often the question does not even make sense in an Orthodox Christian context and our attention will drift…

It’s hard to explain and I don’t have the time to go into it right now, unfortunately, but before I was Orthodox I read an article which stated something like this, it took a long time for me to grasp how that could be. I thought that was a crazy assertion at the time, but it turns out not to be so.

Michael

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.