Which of the 95 does Rome disagree with today?

That is a good one I have not heard before. Luther’s theses are not Lutheran.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

0 Likes

I don’t know, Kliska, this is not an uncommon topic here and we seem to beat it to death on a regluar basis. :blush:

Here is one such document of which you speak.

0 Likes

Well, to clarify, I don’t think it is “beat to death” in quiet the way the OP would like, or is looking for? :smiley: But, I shouldn’t speak for them.

0 Likes

I always say we don’t have enough blogs.

:wink:

0 Likes

No, and I was not suggesting that the topic should not be entertained as often as desired. One way to unity is clarity about our differences.

Since the 95 theses don’t form the basis of Lutheran theology today, though, it just seemed like an examination of the documents that DO form that foundation might be a more practical exercise. The 95 Theses are water under the bridge, but the current documents that govern the Lutheran faith are what might produce dialogue toward understanding.

0 Likes

To take the 95 thesis written correctly, one has to take the times of its day into account, which cannot compare to today’s understanding or views.

In Luther’s day, the Catholic Church was still reforming (battling) secular powers who were placing “secular” men in Church leadership positions (bishops, priest) by nepotism and simony. These secular Church leaders who were considered religious but did not take religious vows as did Martin Luther may have vexed Martin Luther and his 95 thesis on the subject of confession, penance and indulgences.

**On the subject of Confession, penance and indulgences, Rome has not moved from her position since Martin Luther’s time. What has changed or reformed since Luther’s day, is the removal of secular powers influencing or infecting the priesthood of Jesus Christ, Episcopacy, priest and deacons.

This removal of secular powers from the Church today, would of caused Martin Luther the Catholic to rejoice today, and it would be Martin Luther the Catholic today, who would be the one to agree with the Catholic Church and her reforms, not Rome’s position to agree or disagree with the 95 thesis written 500 years ago by one of her own members (Martin Luther), who lived and saw the influence of secular powers upon the Church.**
The Catholic Church is Rock she is not moved by every wind of doctrine invented by men.
Peace be with you

0 Likes

Indeed. Many Lutherans are shocked to learn of Luther’s clear belief in most of, say, the Church’s Marian dogmas. :shrug:

0 Likes

I share this as MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION; not necessarily that of the RCC

1. Our Lord and Master Jesus Christ, when He said Poenitentiam agite, willed that the whole life of believers should be repentance.

2. God remits guilt to no one whom He does not, at the same time, humble in all things and bring into subjection to His vicar, the priest.

3. Therefore the Holy Spirit in the pope is kind to us, because in his decrees he always makes exception of the article of death and of necessity.

4. With souls in purgatory it seems necessary that horror should grow less and love increase.

5. No one is sure that his own contrition is sincere; much less that he has attained full remission.

6. Apostolic pardons are to be preached with caution, lest the people may falsely think them preferable to other good works of love.

7. Without rashness we say that the keys of the Church, given by Christ’s merit, are that treasure;

8. On the other hand, the treasure of indulgences is naturally most acceptable, for it makes the last to be first.

9. He who speaks against the truth of apostolic pardons, let him be anathema and accursed! {If by this is mean Indulgences?}

0 Likes

Hi Jon,
I was instructed, and confirmed, in the LC-Missouri Synod; my parents were ELCA.

SD

0 Likes

You think I’m kidding, Guano! I promise, if we were to read through them, there are bits that would not fit into Lutheranism. It’s a Catholic priest talking, after all!

0 Likes

closed #31
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.