Which of the two is satan better at?

Is satan better at making people think that he himself does not exist or making people think that God does not exist?

What do you think? This is a difficult but fascinating question to me. To me, the two main ways the devil works is through procrastination to acting on the Word of God and making you think he does not exist.

As my faith is growing, my awareness of evil is growing. Remember Mel Gibson’s movie The Passion of the Christ? I used to think of Satan as he is portrayed in that movie. Now I know that he is not so. I see him everywhere now, almost everywhere I look. In the bookstore, where 95% of the magazines portray sleeze on the cover, at my job, where pride and ego are predominant, in most other people who are consumed by greed, and in myself, when I let sin get the best of me.

Does anyone else feel this constant presence of evil? I do; it is the driving force behind my faith.

I do feel his presence often. I think he is very skilled at hiding.

[quote=anonymoususer]Is satan better at making people think that he himself does not exist or making people think that God does not exist?

What do you think? This is a difficult but fascinating question to me. To me, the two main ways the devil works is through procrastination to acting on the Word of God and making you think he does not exist.

As my faith is growing, my awareness of evil is growing. Remember Mel Gibson’s movie The Passion of the Christ? I used to think of Satan as he is portrayed in that movie. Now I know that he is not so. I see him everywhere now, almost everywhere I look. In the bookstore, where 95% of the magazines portray sleeze on the cover, at my job, where pride and ego are predominant, in most other people who are consumed by greed, and in myself, when I let sin get the best of me.

Does anyone else feel this constant presence of evil? I do; it is the driving force behind my faith.
[/quote]

Yes I am very much aware of his presence. God has allowed me to see satan mascarading around at a few times in my life, once in a Christain bookstore. When we looked at each other, I just had this shutter come over me, fingered my Padre Pio relic, and left. I would have rather not had that experience, but I think God wanted me to be aware.

I think he has succeeded most in making people forget he is there. He gets people to worry less about God’s will and more about what is more pleasurable to us. I have really noticed the urgency in his pace over the past year. Have you noticed how society has gotten worse in the past year. Just looking at the tv should make you wonder, much less the ACLU.

I am very concerned!

I agree. Ever hear that saying that once Satan gets his hand through the door he pushes the whole thing open?

I notice Satan most when I have failed God. Sin once, and it becomes eaiser and eaiser. The first time you do it that voice in your head is screaming “no! no!”. By the second or third time that voice has gone away. Then by the fourth time that little voice changes to “it’s okay…you are only a sinner.” or “You can confess it later.”

That is how I see Satan attacking men the most.

Don’t even put a crack in the door! Lock that thing and push a desk in front of it.

Adam

[quote=Unfinished]I agree. Ever hear that saying that once Satan gets his hand through the door he pushes the whole thing open?

I notice Satan most when I have failed God. Sin once, and it becomes eaiser and eaiser. The first time you do it that voice in your head is screaming “no! no!”. By the second or third time that voice has gone away. Then by the fourth time that little voice changes to “it’s okay…you are only a sinner.” or “You can confess it later.”

That is how I see Satan attacking men the most.

Don’t even put a crack in the door! Lock that thing and push a desk in front of it.

Adam
[/quote]

And when you feel guilty and seek to repent, that voice changes to “you will never be forgiven now for such rotten deeds, you should be ashamed to confess, you think the priest wants to hear your dirty secrets?” Or “why do you need to confess? You are only a human, if God created you He certainly can’t expect for you to fight with your God-given nature.”

As you can tell Satan attacks me alot. :mad:

Satan is the father of lies, he’ll warm you up with small truths to sucker you with a big lie. Always run from temptation and pray to the Lord for deliverance.

I also am acutely aware of Satan at work in the world. Whenever I see something that is slightly off-kilter, not quite right, and I dig deeper and peel back the layers, I discover Satan’s lie.

For example, the right “to choose.” Who could be again that? I sounds great, except there’s part missing—the right to choose what, exactly? You look deeper and discover that the right to “choose” is not good but evil, because it is a cleverly worded eupemism for abortion.

[quote=anonymoususer]Is satan better at making people think that he himself does not exist or making people think that God does not exist?

[/quote]

I believe it is a combination of the two. If one absolutely knew God existed, he would also know that Satan existed and vice versa. Satan’s plane is to keep the average person from even thinking about the possibility of God or Satan. Instead, have man worry about money, sex, grades, work, etc. etc. etc., thereby leaving no room in a man’s life to contemplate either God or the devil. He would much rather a person fill his/her life with silly “day-to-day” things than be worried about God and Satan. Leave that for the lunatics and fanatics (societies labels not mine).

Satans greatest tactic is neither, but rather the infussion of the 2. Whereby he takes the institutions of Christ and manipulates them in the minds of men to cause doubt and missunderstanding.

Satan’s greatest wish is that we all become atheists, feminists, followers of the liberal media, secularism, and the ACLU. That way he wins no matter what. I should know, I used to be an atheist and a slave to his lies. I still have several atheists in my family and I have to sit and watch them bow at the altar of PBS, CBS, and National Geographic.

He is the ultimate tempter and the ultimate accuser. Abortion is the perfect example. He comes to a woman and tells her that it is her right to have an abortion and it’s probably better for everyone if the child were never born. Then before the woman even leaves the abortion mill, he’s the first to scream, " YOU MURDERER! God will never forgive you for this".

He loves to get you coming and going. :frowning:

Is satan better at making people think that he himself does not exist or making people think that God does not exist

…making people think that he himself does not exist…

[quote=Danya]Is satan better at making people think that he himself does not exist or making people think that God does not exist

…making people think that he himself does not exist…
[/quote]

I tend to agree. Remember, even Satan worshipers believe in Jesus.

[quote=IanS]Satan’s greatest wish is that we all become atheists, feminists, followers of the liberal media, secularism, and the ACLU. That way he wins no matter what. I should know, I used to be an atheist and a slave to his lies. I still have several atheists in my family and I have to sit and watch them bow at the altar of PBS, CBS, and National Geographic.

He is the ultimate tempter and the ultimate accuser. Abortion is the perfect example. He comes to a woman and tells her that it is her right to have an abortion and it’s probably better for everyone if the child were never born. Then before the woman even leaves the abortion mill, he’s the first to scream, " YOU MURDERER! God will never forgive you for this".

He loves to get you coming and going. :frowning:
[/quote]

Ian:

Here are some good examples of the Devil’s tactics:

The Screwtape Letters - Screwtape Proposes a Toast
seark.net/~jlove/screwtape.htm

C.S. Lewis gets it about as close as one can get.

In Christ, Michael

[quote=IanS] I still have several atheists in my family and I have to sit and watch them bow at the altar of PBS, CBS, and National Geographic.

:frowning:
[/quote]

National Geographic?

[quote=cynic]National Geographic?
[/quote]

Yes, even National Geographic my friend. I don’t mean to get off of the subject, but have you seen some of the stuff on the NGC about the “science” behind the Bible and theories about the Holy Grail and the Last Supper. Some of its okay, but for the most part they make Jesus out to be nothing more than a political rebel for the poor people of the time and say NOTHING about his divinity. They also do everything short of calling the Bible a bunch of fairytales used for political gain. They love to interview a a lot of no-name college professors who are educated beyond their own intelligence, and don’t bother to interview one minister, priest, nun, or theologian. There is definitely an agenda.

[/quote]

Hi there

For me satan is not good at both, because he cannot do anything. We are the ones to choose what to believe.

Yes I believe that all kinds of bad things around us is caused by satan, but looking away from those we will see goodness around us, and in those goodness is the truth of God. All bad things are to pass away, they are temporal and will not prevail. Thus satan’s presence is weak no matter how strong we may feel it. : It shall not to draw too much of our attention.

To pay attention to too much to bad things in the world instead of good things is to fall into one of satan’s strategies to own us. If I see many bad things, I will be distressed and fearful and worry. God says that we are to be thankful and joyful and couragious and peaceful always. Give thanks to God in Jesus name and you will not feel satan’s presence anymore. Even if he is there in somebody’s body, it will flee away when you are around him.

Feel God’s presence, and satan will go away from your life, from people around you, from your health, from your office, and even from your television (Jesus will change your appetite for movies, shows, food, kind of social life, lifestyle, etc as well), so that you will feel Him (God) more and more instead of satan’s.

I was kind of worry one day when an evangelist came to my doorstep and asked “do you know that satan rules the world ?”. I waited anxiously for the good news she will bring for me. When finally-- after a lot of bad news-- she did mention about God who reigns, I thought “well may be God reign in heaven, but I am here on earth surrounded by satan”. Then I say to affirm her , “yes sister I thing God in Jesus name rules heaven as much as the world around me”.

God bless you all.

[quote=IanS] Some of its okay, but for the most part they make Jesus out to be nothing more than a political rebel for the poor people of the time and say NOTHING about his divinity…
[/quote]

well ofcourse they can’t say that, it’s a secular programme. And what all their wildlife docos, are they also evil because of this?

Well, this is an issue that has been bugging me for a while, but I think people feeling the presence of Satan in their lives are a bit prideful.

As if Satan himself would bother with tempting them. He has legions of lesser demons, but no one ever remembers them. Whenever anyone claims to be possessed, it is always Satan the leader of the fallen angels himself. Honestly, I think a lot of the time it is just lesser demons. Satan himself cannot be involved in every evil directly like God can be with every good. We are not dualists, Satan is not the “god of evil”, he is just a fallen angel, and has many demons.

But for some reason, people always try to pin it on Satan himself.

[quote=batteddy]Well, this is an issue that has been bugging me for a while, but I think people feeling the presence of Satan in their lives are a bit prideful.

As if Satan himself would bother with tempting them. He has legions of lesser demons, but no one ever remembers them. Whenever anyone claims to be possessed, it is always Satan the leader of the fallen angels himself. Honestly, I think a lot of the time it is just lesser demons. Satan himself cannot be involved in every evil directly like God can be with every good. We are not dualists, Satan is not the “god of evil”, he is just a fallen angel, and has many demons.

But for some reason, people always try to pin it on Satan himself.
[/quote]

Batteddy:

Varous of the Saints spoke of experiences with Satan:

The Life of Saint Anthony the Abbot

He spent several years in solitude, where according to tradition he was sorely tempted by the devil. Satan assaulted him and so grievously beat him that he lay almost dead, covered with bruises and wounds. When he had recovered somewhat, though not yet able to stand, St. Anthony cried out to the devils “Behold! Here I am. Do all you are able to do against me. Nothing shall separate me from Christ my Lord.” The demons appeared and renewed the attack in the form of frightful wild beasts. He even mocked the demons ridiculing their weakness.

66.46.231.130/patronsaints/santonio.html

The Wisdom of the Desert - Chapter VI: On Humility

There were two brethren, relatives according to the flesh, and bound to each other yet more closely by the spiritual purpose of their devotion. Against them the devil laid a plot that he might separate them the one from the other. Once, towards evening, the younger of the two, as he was wont, lit their lamp and put it on its stand. Through the malice of the devil the stand was overturned, and the lamp went out. By this means the devil hoped wickedly to entrap them into a quarrel. The elder of the two, growing suddenly angry, struck the younger fiercely. But the younger fell humbly on the ground and besought, saying, “Sir, be gentle with me, and I will light the lamp again.” Then, because he gave back no angry word, the evil spirit was filled with confusion, and departed from their cell. That same night he told the chief of the devils the story of his failure, saying, “Because of the humility of that brother who fell upon the ground and begged the other’s pardon I was unable to prevail against them. God beheld his humility, and poured His grace upon him. Now, lo! it is I who am tormented, for I have failed to separate these two or make them enemies.”

There was a certain hermit renowned among the monks. It happened that there once met him a man possessed by an evil spirit, who struck him violently upon the cheek. The old man straightway turned to him the other cheek, that he might smite him upon it also. The devil was not able to endure the flame of his humility, but immediately departed from him who was possessed.

nd.edu/Departments/Maritain/etext/wd06.htm

Please understand that most people tend to call just about any demonic adversary “Satan”. Even St. John Vianney talked about the devil bothering him during the nights before super repentent penitents would arrive at his Church. He talked about it being almost predictable.

In Christ, Michael

[quote=cynic]well ofcourse they can’t say that, it’s a secular programme. And what all their wildlife docos, are they also evil because of this?
[/quote]

I have it on good authority I was supposed to answer this question without even reading this thread.

The answer is “42.”

Oh, wait, I never saw THAT movie…

I meant, I see no evil, sir. Honestly I am blind to such things.

I hear no evil, but I’m sure if anything is evil than it is certainly my own speech who qualifies more than anyone else’s.

Basically I can challenge anyone to a self-deprication party, and I’m just the one to win all the contests thereat.

Peace, and understanding this Christmas.

I’ll leave this post with a quote from the late great Lutheran theologian who said this about people trying to convert each other, from his book My Search for Absolutes. My opinion is the same advice works on many levels and many realms, not just religion and certainly not only for Catholicism:

[quote=Paul Tillich]Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.

[/quote]

Alan

edit: sorry I couldn’t find the online version of the book, so I chose a different quote which may be apropos. I don’t know if it’s from the book, probably not.

I just finished watching the exorcism of emily rose. It made me think of demonic possession in a new way. If you aren’t careful, you may think that you must act like emily rose or the girl from the orginal exorcist to be possessed. I think this is way wrong.

I think there are tons of people that are possessed and they don’t even know it (neither do thier friends and neighbors). My opinion; to live without God is to be possessed. There are no in between gray areas; you either live in friendship with God or the devil. To be a slave to money, sex, power, pride, greed, dishonesty, etc. is to be possessed.

The scariest thing is…people that are possessed and don’t even know it. The devil is the great deceiver, father of lies, king of pleasure. It is so much easier to follow the devil than God. This is why so may people follow the devil; for the most part, people are lazy and it is also easy to succumb to pleasure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.