Which Pentential Rite(s) is your parish using during Lent?

Just wondering as its the first time in the churches in the diocese I live in has used the new Confiteor ("I Confess…) option

We haven’t said the Confiteor in 2 years, not since our former Pastor left, seemingly taking the Confiteor with him. Neither the interim administrator nor the new Pastor have used it since.

[quote="Phemie, post:2, topic:316283"]
We haven't said the Confiteor in 2 years, not since our former Pastor left, seemingly taking the Confiteor with him. Neither the interim administrator nor the new Pastor have used it since.

[/quote]

Pretty much the same here. I think we have used it twice that I remember since the new translation was released. Most in our parish don't like the Kyrie because they are allergic to Latin (funny since Kyrie Eleison is Greek :rolleyes:) so it is used about as often.

When the Confiteor is used, it is immediately followed by the Kyrie Eleison. So those two are not mutually exclusive options.

[quote="Phemie, post:2, topic:316283"]
We haven't said the Confiteor in 2 years, not since our former Pastor left, seemingly taking the Confiteor with him. Neither the interim administrator nor the new Pastor have used it since.

[/quote]

We had a visiting priest that used it, but we ALWAYS sing the kyrie.

I like the confiteor.

The Kyrie without the Confietor just seems incomplete. “have mercy on me / have mercy on me / have mercy on me” …for what? You don’t get absolution without confession…I think that should apply, even in the most general sense here.

We use Form A ( the Confietor) almost exclusively at our parish all year round.

I think the only exception is the 6:00am weekday Mass.

We use them all, and not just during Lent. It depends upon the priest (we have six). There doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason to which of the four our pastor will use when he’s the celebrant.

Note that for Sunday Masses, we always use an invocation followed by “Lord/Christ, have mercy” or Kyrie Eleison. I have only heard the Confiteor and “Have mercy/For we have sinned against you” during weekday Masses. Again, this is year round.

I answered that we use and invocation followed by, "Lord have mercy..."

However the invocation is usually in English but often followed by Greek,"Kyrie..."

In my parish, the Confiteor is always used on Sundays or whenever there is music, since the choir always sings the Kyrie. The spoken Kyrie (in English or Greek) with verses is occasionally used at weekday Mass, and the “have mercy for we have sinned” is never used, since most people don’t know the response.

Perhaps somebody should post the rubrics about when it is mandatory or appropriate to use any of the four formulas?

[quote="EphelDuath, post:11, topic:316283"]
Perhaps somebody should post the rubrics about when it is mandatory or appropriate to use any of the four formulas?

[/quote]

I don't think there is any such rubric.

[quote="aemcpa, post:12, topic:316283"]

[/quote]

I think this is one more of those cases where it has become "customary" to switch penitential rites by seasons with the Confiteor being the favorite for Lent.

This is kind of like how it has become "customary" to used different shades of violet for Advent and Lent.

There is no actual rubric.

[quote="SMHW, post:13, topic:316283"]
I think this is one more of those cases where it has become "customary" to switch penitential rites by seasons with the Confiteor being the favorite for Lent..

[/quote]

We always do the opposite.

[quote="aemcpa, post:12, topic:316283"]

[/quote]

I don't think so either.

The closest I was able to find was Redemptionis Sacramentum

[71.] The practice of the Roman Rite is to be maintained according to which the peace is extended shortly before Holy Communion. For according to the tradition of the Roman Rite, this practice does not have the connotation either of reconciliation or of a remission of sins, but instead signifies peace, communion and charity before the reception of the Most Holy Eucharist.[151] It is rather the Penitential Act to be carried out at the beginning of Mass (especially in its first form) which has the character of reconciliation among brothers and sisters.

It notes that Form A ( the Confiteor) is the fuller sign of reconciliation between ourselves that is demanded by Mt 5:23-24

Sundays: "Have mercy..." followed by Kyrie in Gregorian chant as per the Graduale Romanum. Weekdays, Confiteor in French followed by Kyrie. All year, no change during Lent. And it's a Benedictine abbey, not a parish :)

I've never attended a Mass where the Confiteor was not spoken, followed by Lord Have Mercy (and/or Kyrie Eleison).

Ever since the new translation came out during Advent 2011, we've been using the Confeitior exclusively, when it was rare prior to that. The priest also says "Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy., Lord have mercy" or Kyrie Eleison, depending on which priest.

In Christ,
Ellen

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT

unless you are using PENITENTIAL ACT C, the KYRIE is REQUIRED!

THAT IS, if you are using Penitential Act A (Confiteor) or Penitential Act B (Have mercy on us...), the Kyrie must be said or sung after it.

Whew, I don't know how many times I've said the Confiteor without having the Kyrie after it...

We use all 4 all year round and it appears Lent is not going to be any different. It depends on the priest (and I think their mood that day);) That is ok by me, I like the variety.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.