Which philosophy courses are the best?

Ethics, Political Philosophy, Metaphysics, Epistemology, Philosophy of Science.

What do you mean by “best”? What are you trying to accomplish?

1 Like

Are you a beginner?

You might want to try a “…For Dummies” book on philosophy because it would give you a basic overview.

I was most helped by metaphysics.

1 Like

I’m going to take a different tact and suggest beginning with physics…as is the science. Over the past several years, many numerous popular books introducing quantum physics for beginners have been published. As well, quantum physics naturally leads to questions of metaphysics. After all, the term ‘metaphysics’ means “after physics.”

You don’t know how right you are. The reason for the word metaphysics (ta meta ta physika) is because, when Aristotle’s books were complied, the Physika came right before Aristotle’s reflections on being and unity; hence the compiler called the latter book “metaphysics,” or “The book that comes after the ‘Physics.’” Aristotle himself called such issues First Philosophy. The idea that, somehow, metaphysical reflection is based on, or comes after mastery of physical reflection was not intended by the word.

Logic 101, in all seriousness. You can’t start discussing Kant and Hegel if you don’t know the basics.

3 Likes

Because of the path of my life, I studied physics and then, much later, metaphysics. I wish I had reversed that order. Metaphysics classically meant and means the study of the fundamentals:

The subject-matter of metaphysics is “being as such”
The subject-matter of metaphysics is the first causes of things
The subject-matter of metaphysics is that which does not change

(from a lengthy development of the term HERE.)

Is it necessary to study Logic 101 before I study further in philosophy? How so?

True enough. I began by studying history & philosophy at university. Then, it was off to the seminary. I “found” physics later. It did indeed make it “easier” (for lack of a better term) when I began my armchair reading of said popular overviews of quantum physics.

I only suggested quantum physics as an option among others. But more so as a supplement. It all depends upon who you read. Crackpots & credentialed grifters abound in the publishing industry.

That’s like asking which of the sciences are best? Chemistry, physics or biology? Which one are you interested in?

1 Like

Metaphysics is the “base” in which all the other branches of philosophy usually start, so I agree with others that I would start there.

Logic would also be useful but in my opinion only if you plan to be a professional philosopher. If you are just an amateur person trying to learn philosophy, I don’t think a dedicated logic course is needed.

1 Like

Not sure what other poster meant by logic 101. There are essentially two “types” of Logic: formal logic & informal logic. If you are entirely new to all of this, I’d suggest starting with informal logic. It teaches basic critical thinking skills. There are plenty of resources on the internet for free if you put in a little effort in your search.

I’d also google “scientific method.” This will also give you another perspective in basic critical thinking methods.

Go from there.

Christianity takes over where philosophy leaves off

1 Like

Now wait just a minute! I’m getting a very bad idea about your grasp of philosophy. First a common mistake regarding the word metaphysics, and then a rather arbitrary separation within logic? You might just as well say that the two basic types of logic are scholastic and mathematical; or categorical and predicate; or deductive and inductive (that’s what you mean by googling “scientific method,” isn’t it?)

Logic 101 is fairly prima faciae (shall we say?) An introductory course in logic. And yes, that is a good place to begin.

I found logic very helpful in structuring the process of reasoning and discernment. “Thinking” in other words.

2 Likes

Modern philosophizing based on unprepared immersion into popularized quantum mechanics can lead to atheism and despair - rubbing elbows with too many “crackpots and credentialed grifters” - it can be a confusing, dangerous path. Modernism has pretty much rejected objective reality, and moved into fantasy, imagination, speculations, dreams and pretending and “virtual reality”. The power and pc-ness of contemporary gender ideology proves my case, I think. It is insane, a contradiction of the most obvious reality that one can find.

1 Like

OK, I think the issue is the ambiguity of OP’s post. And, perhaps they can clear it up. It sounds as if they are a beginner.

What do they want advice on: a book to read? A few websites? Selecting courses at university? They were quite ambiguous. My responses have been in light of an introductory book to read or website to introduce ideas.

For instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informal_logic

Forgot this one in previous reply. I know about the origin of word “metaphysics.” I never stated that OP or anyone else had to first study the physical sciences before they were “allowed” to go onto metaphysics. I was simply stating that for a lot of people, some of the implications of quantum physics leads to metaphysical questions.

I agree with you. I didn’t think of it from that perspective. Thank you for pointing that out. I began investigating popularized quantum mechanics after already having a solid grounding…which enables me to chuckle at some of what I read.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.